Gatwick airport closed due drone reported in area

As I've said before, it wouldn't be difficult to get away with this crime. There are many quiet small country lanes around Gatwick, plus Crawley. The M23 is an extremely busy motorway, with six lanes of traffic to/from Gatwick as well as the London/Brighton traffic which is considerable. I've lived in Sussex for 38 years. And what if the reported suspect on his bicycle was responsible?

Sussex Police are not smart nor diligent, to say the least. And this crime, despite all the disruption and cost it caused, is not a major one. No murder happened, for example, which would demand more investigative manpower to get a result. Yes, there has been a suggestion that Scotland Yard should take over the investigation, but how likely is this given the time delay and festive holidays? As I said before Christmas, it wouldn't surprise me if the crime remains unsolved (unless further disruption is attempted by the same perpetrator or perpetrators).

As for the "confusion" with police equipment, this isn't actually new news. The 60+ highly credible sightings were reduced down from 90+ credible sightings presumably to account for such possible confusion. In total, there were well over 100 sightings, but not all were considered to be as equally credible as others.

The innocent couple arrested then released were totally genuine in their brief public statement. Their emotional trauma was authentic - have absolutely no doubt. And the attitude shown to them by the police during the initial few hours was shameful. The police were also initially dismissive of several witnesses coming forward with alibi testimony, which should have prompted the suspects early release from custody.

Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone and fly safely. We'll be travelling back to South Africa in one week, departing from Gatwick.

Reactions: BigAl07
Based on your (arguably most of our) limited understanding perhaps however it is likely you don’t have all the evidence available to you.

well I am only a certified RPAS pilot with a limited + 100 h. experience but I guess you know more.

Reactions: Astrix
BBC says the Drone Dome system was likely NOT the system used AND that delivery of system has not been made.
RAF Tech also reported to have been the operators ...

Anti-drone equipment for airports

Nigel

That's happening extensively in the US and elsewhere, and is both necessary and inevitable. They didn't need any bananas to make that investment.

Citation needed. At least in my country which is EASA and ICAO member, no one is installing this kind of equipment. However, they have installed at least one drone frequency tracker (so they say) in a police helicopter and I believe but can not confirm the army has got directional frequency jammers in some radar bases. In fact the aim is the opposite, which is clearing rules and controlled airspaces for more drone business.

Last edited:
Citation needed. At least in my country which is EASA and ICAO member, no one is installing this kind of equipment. However, they have installed at least one drone frequency tracker (so they say) in a police helicopter and I believe but can not confirm the army has got directional frequency jammers in some radar bases. In fact the aim is the opposite, which is clearing rules and controlled airspaces for more drone business.

Fair enough. I'm familiar with one such system that is being deployed at a number of sites. I can't comment on individual airports.

NNSA deploys its first counter-unmanned aircraft system

Now the police say they had never seen any quadcoppter. so seems like a scare tactic used a lot in the uk if they want to bring in a new tax or ban somthing. god knows I have a very hard time spotting my own quad and i know where it is never mind the max time i can get in the air per battery is 15 min just some more fake news clear as day. im sick of the police helicopppters all over the place try doing some sound recording while those things are hovering all over.

If this whole story was fabricated to initiate some new laws or bans or to expedite the deployment of anti-drone tech they surely risked a lot by inconveniencing thousands of passengers and no doubt costing the airlines millions of dollar/pounds. If they did this and someone comes forward to say it was all a scam and has evidence to prove it then not only will that attempt fail but some people may find themselves with a prison sentence. I have to say the risks to this are enough to make the likelihood pretty low -- not zero but low.

If there were no drones then what was the video and pictures all about that were published DURING the event? Either there were drones or there were not -- it can't be both. If there were no drones where did the video and pictures of drones at Gatwick come from -- who provided them? If there were drones then why are they now saying there were none.

None of this is making any sense whatever.

Brian

If this whole story was fabricated to initiate some new laws or bans or to expedite the deployment of anti-drone tech they surely risked a lot by inconveniencing thousands of passengers and no doubt costing the airlines millions of dollar/pounds. If they did this and someone comes forward to say it was all a scam and has evidence to prove it then not only will that attempt fail but some people may find themselves with a prison sentence. I have to say the risks to this are enough to make the likelihood pretty low -- not zero but low.

If there were no drones then what was the video and pictures all about that were published DURING the event? Either there were drones or there were not -- it can't be both. If there were no drones where did the video and pictures of drones at Gatwick come from -- who provided them? If there were drones then why are they now saying there were none.

None of this is making any sense whatever.

Brian
I agree, I am not a conspiracy theorist, there was no grand plan to divert attention, or coerce introduction of defence technology etc, just false sightings.
The issue is now dead in the UK, the media have had their scare stories, and we will hear no more. But the damage has been done.
The only follow up will be the amount of compensation awarded to the wrongly arrested couple, who were appallingly treated.

I agree, I am not a conspiracy theorist, there was no grand plan to divert attention, or coerce introduction of defence technology etc, just false sightings.
The issue is now dead in the UK, the media have had their scare stories, and we will hear no more. But the damage has been done.
The only follow up will be the amount of compensation awarded to the wrongly arrested couple, who were appallingly treated.
Considering that I heard on the radio only a few hours ago that Heathrow just got shut down over reports of drones, I'd say that the issue is far from dead.

Your mileage may vary.

Part of the problem here is that if someone, anyone, yells the sky is falling (there's a drone) then they have little choice but to shut down the airport. If they did not and a drone actually took a plane down killing everyone there would be no end to the lawsuits.

Brian

One last time, there were plenty of reliable drone sightings during the Gatwick shutdown - with witnesses including at least ten different police officers over two days and an airline captain/pilot, as well as security staff and other Gatwick professionals. Read my posts above if anyone who doubts this was a real incident is interested in the facts.

Reactions: 3rdof5
So many witnesses, so few pics. Funny about that.

For reasons into which I will not delve here, I have little faith in eyewitnesses. Even, and possibly particularly, the ones wearing badges.

One last time, there were plenty of reliable drone sightings during the Gatwick shutdown - with witnesses including at least ten different police officers over two days and an airline captain/pilot, as well as security staff and other Gatwick professionals. Read my posts above if anyone who doubts this was a real incident is interested in the facts.

And now the same police are saying they're not sure there even was a drone -- so what do we make of that?

There were pictures and video during the event but the police are now saying they're not sure -- how do we reconcile those statements?

Brian

And now the same police are saying they're not sure there even was a drone -- so what do we make of that?

There were pictures and video during the event but the police are now saying they're not sure -- how do we reconcile those statements?

Brian

Reference?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl