G space under an E @1200'

Reaction score
There is a question that pops up a lot on the sample tests across the Internet. It is about G space.
I'm confused as to why G goes up so high (>5000') if its under E@1200.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have been contracted to photograph Lake Pend Oreille from a vantage point just east of
You notice there is a hill which should provide a good panoramic photographs. What
is the maximum altitude (MSL) you are authorized to fly over the hill?

A.You cannot operate your sUAS above 400 MSL and thus cannot operate anywhere in this part of the country.
B. You cannot operate your sUAS without ATC permission because you will be in class E airspace above 1200 MSL.
C. You may operate up to 5,360 feet MSL in Class G airspace.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"C" is the answer I see on all the sample tests.

Is that the correct answer ?(bc sample tests can be wrong at times)
If so, why does G go up to 5360 feet when the area exists directly outside the transitional area?

You see, I take this whole "700/1200 Class E space" thing to mean:
"If you see the magenta transitional area then it is E inside, starting at 700' and OUTSIDE IT IS 1200'.
So how can G, in this example, go up to 5,360 if its under an E that starts at 1200?

Here is the pic and question:

G-space.jpg

I love the question. I’ll take a stab at it. Don’t get confused with MSL and AGL(above ground level) the hill looks to be around 4960’MSL + 400’AGL = 5360’MSL
Something that helps you know if you are looking at a MSL number or AGL is when you see a number in xxx’(xxx’) the (xxx’) is the AGL. Example: Look at the marker to the left BEAUX you will see in blue 2630’(215’) means it is 215’ Above Ground Level

Bump - taking my Part 107 test tomorrow. Would really like some help on this question.

So, if that hill was 10,000 feet MSL I could still operate under Class E 1200?

Why thank you barefoot....

Teelions - the answer is C. Many times the multiple choice answers have extra words that do not apply to the question at hand. They word the answer to 5360’MSL as being the max height you can fly your sUAS at that hill and nothing to do with the MSL height of the class G. Remember the question does not mention class G. On the sectional the red circle with the number one is not exactly on the hill in question. The hill they reference on the sectional is actually the dot with the 4960’. Have fun in the test.

Your on the right track but....if the hill is 10,000MSL you can only operate up to 10,400MSL(10,000MSL+400AGL) Remember only max height sUAS is 400’AGL(or 400’ above a structure and 400’ laterally)

Just to make this completely clear - 1200 ft Class E refers to Class E starting at 1200 ft AGL, not MSL. So, anywhere that is Class G airspace under 1200 ft Class E (or 700 ft Class E for that matter) you are authorized to fly up to 400 ft AGL.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Just to make this completely clear - 1200 ft Class E refers to Class E starting at 1200 ft AGL, not MSL. So, anywhere that is Class G airspace under 1200 ft Class E (or 700 ft Class E for that matter) you are authorized to fly up to 400 ft AGL.

Unless it is a surface Class E (dashed magenta) but that’s a different story

Unless it is a surface Class E (dashed magenta) but that’s a different story

Of course - entirely different, but then it would not be Class G at all. Anyway - the reason for my post was that I was trying to make the distinction between AGL and MSL absolutely clear, since that appeared to be the root of the original misunderstanding.

Whether or not the Class E starts at 700 or 1200 is irrelevant since no Airspace Authorizations are needed for Class E >EXCEPT< Class E surface areas. This has been kind of hot topic recently because two of the better known commercial training sites have been teaching it wrong.

upload_2018-1-8_21-5-8.png

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and sar104
Sorry guys, I apologize for my lack of follow-up. I'm cramming through all my sources today as well as downing gallons of cough suppressant as I was just diagnosed with Bronchitis. On top of that I have to get better for flying out on vacation this coming Sunday. So, just a little stressed.
Thank you Philsmith76 for your first answer and to Barefoot for elaborating on that. And the best advice I got was through the line "Many times the multiple choice answers have extra words that do not apply to the question at hand." So the picture doesn't really relate to the answers so the answers must be taken at face value. Wow! What a revelation! That's the best test preparation I could have gotten! Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic