FYI......Autopilot for DJI 2.0 (24)

The next build was released overnight which included many welcome interface improvements some of which I suggested which is always nice when a developer responds to feedback so promptly including the ability to see the orbit diameter on the planning map and multiple points for the zip line before entering the flight dashboard.

Looking forward to testing over the next few days.

While using Autopilot 2.0 beta (new build) I am not able to point the gimbal to the center in the POI mode. Video comes out as if I am doing a panorama. Please help!

Thanks

The next build was released overnight which included many welcome interface improvements some of which I suggested which is always nice when a developer responds to feedback so promptly including the ability to see the orbit diameter on the planning map and multiple points for the zip line before entering the flight dashboard.

Looking forward to testing over the next few days.
Yea I loaded and was amazed by how responsive this company is to feedback. They also have a knack of making it user-centric for many different levels without compromising functionality. I'm an experience flyer, but was a little overwhelmed at the options at first. Of course now after testing I almost feel like a pro. I quickly skipped past the new beginner and intermediate interfaces directly to advance! [emoji16]

Orbit has issues going CW. It looks like the P3P is fighting with itself. Possibly a coding error?
Very unlikely to be a coding error. It was probably due to wind conditions, as when it was flying CW it was probably heading into the wind, and when you switched it to CCW it starting going downwind. My guess is if it went CCW far enough, and thus reached the portion of the Orbit that was into the wind in that direction, it would have run into the same issue. We are looking at ways to account for wind in the next build, but it is very difficult:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/support#b4068408

RE focus. I emailed the support team. They said the P3 should adjust Yaw (the unit) to compensate. I think there is just a piece of code not enabled to do this when not flying the inspire. If they get this functionality, then it will be nice.
Not sure who told you this, but at the moment it is not possible for the app to control the aircraft yaw while the operator has joystick control via the RC on the pitch and roll. This is an SDK limitation and until DJI corrects it, (they have not indicated any plans as such), the P3 focus mode will remain pitch only. The only solution for fully functional focus is to upgrade to the Inspire, as you say.

Isn't this the outrageous App that cost $20 something and like $5 extra to unlock modes??? Let me guess when this come out of Beta, you have to pay another $20 to get it for the P3.....
Not sure why you think the pricing is "outrageous". As explained in other places, we are a small, independent software startup that is trying to bring a full-featured, safe, and fun autonomous flight control system to market. This task is extremely time and resource intensive, and as we sell software only (no hardware), we cannot offer the app as a loss-leader to spur hardware sales (in the way DJI could or 3DR does). At the end of the day, if you want to see continued development on the Autopilot platform, we need the community to support us with what is a relatively low cost for the features being offered, especially relative to the cost of the hardware.

Well if thats the case then i guess it's not too bad... What about Waypoints?? Does this app support waypoints? or that's extra $$$$ as well?
Waypoints are planned, but as I stated before, each new mode requires a great amount of time and resources to develop - the primary reason being that we take safety so seriously and refuse to release half-baked, untested, and/or unsafe features. We simply aren't in a position to offer these features for free.
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/support#72b932c3

While using Autopilot 2.0 beta (new build) I am not able to point the gimbal to the center in the POI mode. Video comes out as if I am doing a panorama. Please help!
Which mode are you using? Please post a video if possible.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Very unlikely to be a coding error. It was probably due to wind conditions, as when it was flying CW it was probably heading into the wind, and when you switched it to CCW it starting going downwind. My guess is if it went CCW far enough, and thus reached the portion of the Orbit that was into the wind in that direction, it would have run into the same issue. We are looking at ways to account for wind in the next build, but it is very difficult:
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/support#b4068408

Not sure who told you this, but at the moment it is not possible for the app to control the aircraft yaw while the operator has joystick control via the RC on the pitch and roll. This is an SDK limitation and until DJI corrects it, (they have not indicated any plans as such), the P3 focus mode will remain pitch only. The only solution for fully functional focus is to upgrade to the Inspire, as you say.

Not sure why you think the pricing is "outrageous". As explained in other places, we are a small, independent software startup that is trying to bring a full-featured, safe, and fun autonomous flight control system to market. This task is extremely time and resource intensive, and as we sell software only (no hardware), we cannot offer the app as a loss-leader to spur hardware sales (in the way DJI could or 3DR does). At the end of the day, if you want to see continued development on the Autopilot platform, we need the community to support us with what is a relatively low cost for the features being offered, especially relative to the cost of the hardware.

Waypoints are planned, but as I stated before, each new mode requires a great amount of time and resources to develop - the primary reason being that we take safety so seriously and refuse to release half-baked, untested, and/or unsafe features. We simply aren't in a position to offer these features for free.
http://autoflightlogic.com/beta/autopilotdji/support#72b932c3

Which mode are you using? Please post a video if possible.

Thanks for the reply but i will not support your app untill waypoint is added... Every other app already offer this and for a much affordable price...

I will gladly pay $20 for these features. Good deal compared to what I've already invested to get here. Thank you Autoflightlogic.

I'm ready to hit the BIN button[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Balad

I guess the focus mode to adjust YAW was a misunderstanding. I reread the email from you support team and perhaps they were referring to my other comments....

I noticed you can do two Waypoints with zip line function. Once setup, you can manually drag points while its active! This meets most of my waypoint needs! I used the $200 DJI datalink for my FC40, but after awhile found myself only using a few points at a time, so sold it.

As a videographer, a couple features would be nice that require dynamic adjustments. I typically setup video size, color, style, WB, etc prior to deploying. So can do this on the Pilot app. However, some other features may need to change as I get closer to the subject:
Must have feature: ability to adjust exposure and set AE lock
Nice to have feature: ability to switch to manual camera mode and adjust shutter, ISO.
What do you think?

I'll pay $20 right now to be an early adopter beta tester! I like what you are doing with the various modes. it seems everyone else is just duplicating the SDK's various modes... you are bringing something different to the table.

Having fallen foul to the VPS issues in the previous firmware I am not likely to upgrade for a week or so anyway but anyone know whether the latest firmware posted today 1.3.20 includes the SDK hooks?

I had the opportunity today to test the latest build (26) at lunch time today. Mid day sun so pretty horrible colour but successful from a testing perspective as I wanted to test an orbit around a moving point i.e. me walking across a football pitch and a decent length zip line. The craft was swarmed by insects during the test so I only used one battery but some examples below if anyone is interested in the results.

Zip line with device as focus subject

Orbit around the device while walking (and random guy walking home with his shopping)

Reactions: Joao Carlos
Love the random guy comment [emoji12]

Reactions: pipman
If one spends in excess of $2,000 for the P3P, batteries etc, paying $30 or even $50 for an app that extends the P3 well beyond what DJI offer is a small penalty to pay. If anyone should complain, they should complain to DJI for not delivering an app that makes use of the P3 capabilities in the first place. Having said that one could argue that the iPhone should come fully loaded with apps at no additional charge, which is certainly not the case.

We should be grateful that someone is taking the risk and investing their time and money in developing an excellent piece of software to allow P3 users to make full use of the P3 potential.

Anyone in the beta upgraded to this weeks release of SDK fw 1.04?

Anyone tested the latest build 33 with SDK fw v.01.04.0005? I tested with one battery and got erratic results with follow me. It would move aggressively to correct and would not orient front/back/right/left. I left settings at default and set distance to 40ft, elevation 50ft. Seems odd as it's worked fine in the past. Any ideas?
@autoflight logic

Last edited:
Anyone tested the latest build 33 with SDK fw v.01.04.0004? I tested with one battery and got erratic results with follow me. It would move aggressively to correct and would not orient front/back/right/left. I left settings at default and set distance to 40ft, elevation 50ft. Seems odd as it's worked fine in the past. Any ideas?
@autoflight logic
Try a distance of 200 ft.

Ok... was finally able to test final build 34 with follow me. Raw video-
Path of travel: 3km/1.8mile rectangle
Distance: 70-100ft
Altitude: 75ft
Camera focus: operator (ie. Car)
Manually adjusted bearing angle from back, right, front
I even managed to get a horizon reveal by manually increasing the distance- cool!
Now I'm primed to compare to what DJI releases this week.

@autoflightlogic any recommendations on how to avoid getting landing gear in shot when manually adjusting bearing angle. I know this puts the P3 at its max range (speed and gimbal angle). Maybe there is ability to slow or restrict correction when bearing angle changes dramatically? Just want to avoid having to edit it out of the video.

any recommendations on how to avoid getting landing gear in shot when manually adjusting bearing angle. I know this puts the P3 at its max range (speed and gimbal angle). Maybe there is ability to slow or restrict correction when bearing angle changes dramatically? Just want to avoid having to edit it out of the video.
Nice video! You can try setting the Responsiveness Movement Parameter to a higher setting, which will result in less abrupt course changes, but also cause the aircraft to take a more meandering path while following you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl