FTA-550 two way radio

It might be a little difficult to grab the radio and transmit while holding the quad transmitter on short notice? Sounds like overkill to me, just stay vigilant, hey if he's flying illegal and he crashes into your quad and dies your off the hook. I had a twin engine Cessna come up behind me full throttle while out in my boat 25' over my head, that's right 25' no lie, if I was facing him I would have seen him coming I would have thrown can or cushion at him. I like planes and goofing around but this guy pissed me off! Point is he was so low and so fast I did not hear him coming and I was parked with engine off.

Not sure how you didn't notice the sound of 130dB straight pipes, under a load, at 25ft elevation approaching you. Cessna's don't exceed the speed of sound, soooooo......

Not sure how you didn't notice the sound of 130dB straight pipes, under a load, at 25ft elevation approaching you. Cessna's don't exceed the speed of sound, soooooo......
It was YOU... Wasn't it ? ;0)

The FAA requires a commercial operator to have a pilots license, they also require the copter to be registered as an aircraft with an N number.

My understanding is that our "Drone" aircraft are not registered with a "N" number, we are registered and then we put "our" number on the aircraft?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's correct for personal use; once you start flying for commercial purposes you need to go through the whole Section 333 rigamarole which includes obtaining a for-realz N-number for each UAS you use, as well as a sport pilot license or better.

I always use an iCOMM A24 NAV/COMM Aviation Radio and monitor the local CTAF, APP/DEP, and Central ATC freqs. appropriate to the area I am in. I have yet to have a reason to transmit but I would not hesitate to inform a pilot in my area that I am there too. Particularly if he was low and slow. I am sure he would appreciate the info and I would make every effort to stay out of his way.

It might be a little difficult to grab the radio and transmit while holding the quad transmitter on short notice? Sounds like overkill to me, just stay vigilant, hey if he's flying illegal and he crashes into your quad and dies your off the hook. I had a twin engine Cessna come up behind me full throttle while out in my boat 25' over my head, that's right 25' no lie, if I was facing him I would have seen him coming I would have thrown can or cushion at him. I like planes and goofing around but this guy pissed me off! Point is he was so low and so fast I did not hear him coming and I was parked with engine off.

If he was under 500' he was breaking the law. One mistake he is in the drink.

If he was under 500' he was breaking the law. One mistake he is in the drink.

That is somewhat close to what the FAR's say but not exactly accurate. See other than congested areas.

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 10.53.15 AM.png

I know the rule. If he was flying within 500ft of YOU, it is illegal. Without your permission.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164