Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

Ridiculous story...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
?? Don't know about rediculous, but it does illustrate the level of confusion of quite a few within the community. Bottom line is that any sUAS flying within the US NAS has to be registered. That includes all of the aircraft that AMA members are flying, not just 'drones'. If you are a hobby flier, you register and put your number on as many birds as you want. If there is money involved (or any type of compensation or benefit), a Part 107 ticket is required and each bird has to be individually registered. That's the law now and potential fines can be significant.

?? Don't know about rediculous, but it does illustrate the level of confusion of quite a few within the community. Bottom line is that any sUAS flying within the US NAS has to be registered. That includes all of the aircraft that AMA members are flying, not just 'drones'. If you are a hobby flier, you register and put your number on as many birds as you want. If there is money involved (or any type of compensation or benefit), a Part 107 ticket is required and each bird has to be individually registered. That's the law now and potential fines can be significant.

This should be sticky'd at the start of the thread AND at the top of the forum. It really is that simple.

Not sure what is true or not....BUT, I need to thank you guys and the OP for at least bringing this to my attention. I am a new owner/flyer and had no idea that I needed to register with the FAA. Seems like there should be something from the manufacturer talking about this when you make the purchase. I bought direct from DJI. Did I miss it somewhere? Thanks!

Notice probably only inserted in products shipped in bulk to US???
Just a guess.

Notice probably only inserted in products shipped in bulk to US???
Just a guess.

If you buy one of these things, there should be documentation included about registering or at least researching whether or not you need to based on where you live

If you buy one of these things, there should be documentation included about registering or at least researching whether or not you need to based on where you live

I'm 99% certain both my P4P and Mavic included a notice about needing to register.

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?

This is found on their website.
http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/media/uas_how_to_label_infographic.pdf

If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?

Absolutely not true. During registration on the FAA's website, the instructions are clear -- you must affix the registration information to your drone. It cost me $5 to register, and that's a lot cheaper than getting caught.

Absolutely not true. During registration on the FAA's website, the instructions are clear -- you must affix the registration information to your drone. It cost me $5 to register, and that's a lot cheaper than getting caught.

I thought he was speaking of the drone manufacturer, not the FAA. ????

I have a question on registering and users. My sibling and our kids all pitched in to buy a drone for family pictures and gatherings. All but 1 are over 13 years of age so there are a total of 10 of us. Will our one small drone need 10 different FA stickers attached to it? I'm not sure there's enough space for all that on a mavic pro unless we start covering up the removable battery as well.

The registration is for YOU, not the bird. The registration is in essence a license to operate. It says that you have read the rules, understand the limits for flying etc. If you buy 20 drones, all of them under 55 lbs (I think), you do not need to register more than once. Think of your registration as a driver's license. Edit: Apparently some users had to provide the Serial Number(s) of their drones. I do not recall this when I did my registration.

Now, there are some 'plusses' to having a sticker attached to your drone:

1. You're complying with the law
2. If your bird gets lost and someone finds it, they can trace you back based on the registration number. Here, I added my phone number and email next to the registration number.
3. Most importantly: If your drone crashes and breaks someone's window or causes a traffic accident, they will be able to find who the culprit is (You). Now, some might see this as a negative but I do see it as a positive: If I'm traceable, it's an incentive for me to fly responsibly.

So, in summary (1-4 are a must):

1. You must register on the FAA site (read the document that came with your drone, or download it from the DJI webpage)
2. Print Your FAA registration number and affix it to your drone (outside, or inside, near the battery)
3. Also include your email and phone number in case you lose the drone
4. Read the manual that came with your drone, and whatever you can download for DJI
5. Put a TXT file on the micro-SD card, that includes your registration ad contact information as well, again, just in case you lose the drone and need to recover those precious memories on the SD card.
6. If you're really 'scared' of losing your drone (especially if it's an expensive one), buy and attach a GPS tracker to it. Very optional, of course.

I hope this is helpful. What else do we need to clarify/discuss/debate?

Will our one small drone need 10 different FA stickers attached to it?
Only one person needs to register with the FAA and apply their FAA registration number. Everyone who flies should have the registration info on hand when flying (per the FAA).

Reactions: ody360
We have to pay 90 euros + taxes to register ONE drone in Romania. Your friend's friend should think about how lucky he is that he only needs to pay 5$, and he should register the drone.

It is 5 dollars for 3 years to register your drone, (up to I think 10 drones under the same registration number). Yes, you must put the registration number on each of your drones and it may be printed inside the battery compartment. You must also carry the registration certificate with you when you fly. Otherwise, you are subject to a possible fine.
I think 5 dollars for 3 years is a deal.

It obviously varies in differant parts of the world..... don't need registration in Australia. Depending on weight I think it said. Or making money.

Part of the DJI dealer agreement says you are responsible for making sure customers knows. Somehow big box stores get around it.

Part of the DJI dealer agreement says you are responsible for making sure customers knows. Somehow big box stores get around it.
And you think that relieves the buyer from the responsibility of reading the instructions that came with the UAV?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT