Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

Yes, you are mistaken.where are you getting your understanding? A simple search will yield the correct information. And clerks selling drones are instructed to tell purchasers that it needs to be registered. How could anyone who reads this forum NOT know the rules?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The cops certainly might have used their discretion to cite him (to appear in court) instead of arresting him, which is routine.

But keep in mind, cops–state, county or city–can't arrest or cite for an FAA offense.

SB

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

Hobbyists register once and use the same number on all their RC aircraft. Commercial pilots must register each of their aircraft individually.

Another post said local law enforcement cannot arrest or fine you for FAA offenses. An FAA examiner being interviewed on the AskDroneU podcast stated that they ask local law enforcement to investigate

Last edited:
\
I think this whole subject is pure internet BS. There is no aviation police and the only people that can enforce this is the FAA( you might call them the aviation police if you want to but they are not). In an enforcement action, the FAA will send a registered, certified USPS mail informing you of the charges. They do not come from the "airport" and visit you. There are only a few of these offices and most are not on airport property but in federal buildings.

I label this B.S.

Agreed. I don't know if anyone else has said this, but I wonder if the "friend of a friend" was scammed by con artists claiming to be "aviation police". These types of scams happen all the time.

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

I believe that all drones for hobbyists are covered under one registration and commercial drones must each be registered. But all drones must be registered and marked with the number.

Everyone is missing the point I think...What the hell did your "friend" do, that pissed off the neighbor so badly they contacted the FAA? Personally, I think this is a BS, made up story. :confused:

Reactions: Falcon900
Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?

Easy to do, print out your registration number. I place my Number on my Batteries, along with the date I started using the batteries. I don't want a stupid number on the outside of my Drone. And this is perfectly legal!

Easy to do, print out your registration number. I place my Number on my Batteries, along with the date I started using the batteries. I don't want a stupid number on the outside of my Drone. And this is perfectly legal!
Not quite.

If your battery and quad separate now what?
You are not in compliance.

Inside the batt. compartment is popular for those who wish to be discreet.

So I was calling BS right out of the gate on this one....... "friend of a friend" is a dead give away.

Then yesterday or something I started believing this story for some reason. Maybe because the OP posted again.

Anyway, today I woke up and now it's official. This post is BS.

Anytime anything happens with a drone, it's all over the news. Rather it be someone shooting at one, someone crashing, a airline pilot sighting (lol), ect. Here we have the first (I've ever heard of) ever drone registration violation, and its huge!!! According to the OP. Why isn't this all over the news? At least a newspaper article? If this really happened, this would be media frenzy in my opinion. Seems to me even the FAA would have said something about too.

So I guess show me a news article and I might have a different thought....... But even then:)

my understanding also
\
I think this whole subject is pure internet BS. There is no aviation police and the only people that can enforce this is the FAA( you might call them the aviation police if you want to but they are not). In an enforcement action, the FAA will send a registered, certified USPS mail informing you of the charges. They do not come from the "airport" and visit you. There are only a few of these offices and most are not on airport property but in federal buildings.

I label this B.S.

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail.

Aviation police? That has the smell of fake news. There is no such thing as "aviation police." "Throw him in jail?" That, too, looks like fake news.

The FAA web site states quite clearly Federal law requires that all aircraft (which includes UAS and radio/remote controlled aircraft) flown outdoors must be registered with the FAA and marked with a registration number.

Any other questions?

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

This sounds like a 'Fake Post'. It's hard to believe that this ever happened

My friend got reported by a citizen who lives on the water at Ponce Inlet, Fla. for flying in the vicinity of him home stating it was illegal due to a small ATC airport in the vicinity. The police approached my friend demanding he return his drone and that he was illegally flying it. After their assertion of his guilt he produced his FAA license, his commercial pilots license and where he had contacted the ATC to advise them of his flight. Get use to people who are not drone fans challenging you by flying adhering to FAA regs...there out there!

Yes, you are mistaken. There are two types of registration. The first is non commercial for recreational flying. It covers all Uas in your fleet for $5. They all get marked with the same number. I'm not sure about fee for the commercial registration, from what I understand there are separate fees for each with unique numbers for each.

Both commercial and hobby drones weighing more than .5 lbs have to be registered before flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart