Fpv with Litchi App

Reaction score
I'm think about buying a affordable pair of VR GOGGLES and using the Litchi App. So is Litchi Reliable as DJI GO? Also is there another option besides the Litchi I can use . I know the Dji will not split the screen , but is there maybe a affordable pair of goggles that use maybe USB of video input instead of the upgraded HDMI output people are having to put on their controllers . Any info would be appreciated!

Yes! Litchi is very reliable. In fact that is the main reason I switched in November because DJI GO kept crashing. I flew in FPV mode for months before I tried the Waypoint mode and I love it! I can go into Mission Hub, create a mission, program waypoints with altitude, speed and camera orientation, then set Points of Interest to train the camera on as the drone flies by . After the mision is complete and saved to Mission Hub, on my desktop computer ,it also forwards it to my iPad that I fly with. I also tried the VR mode a couple of times. I ordered a cheap pair of goggles from Amazon, for about $14.00 I believe and it simply holds the iPhone in front of the goggles to view in dual mode. It is really quite good for the price but I am not that trusting yet. It would help to have someone else be a spotter while wearing the goggles because it can be hard to judge distances to other objects by using only the goggles. I would think that ones that used either USB or HDMI would be much better with more vivid video but I don't know for sure as I have never tried it that way.

I believe that once you try Litchi, you won't go back. Especially after you get familiar with the Waypoints missions. Then there is the FPV via goggles that you should enjoy too. So, what's another 1.2% of your purchase price of the Phantom. I think it will be a great investment of the $14.00 or so that it costs.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Guitarman
Jim I watched a YouTube video litchi fpv and he said you can buy a cheap pair of Google's and use your phone. I bought a pair last year for watching YouTube videos in VR and it was difficult to access the buttons on the phone. Reading what you said might have given my cheap Google's a new life, thank you Sir.

Guitar man, good news. Yep there are many prices for those type of goggles. AT&T and a set for $100 which are similar to mine. I was impressed with the images but I fly mostly in waypoints mode now so don't use them all that much now. Main thing is get out and FLY!!!
Jim
WA5TEF

Guitar man, good news. Yep there are many prices for those type of goggles. AT&T and a set for $100 which are similar to mine. I was impressed with the images but I fly mostly in waypoints mode now so don't use them all that much now. Main thing is get out and FLY!!!
Jim
WA5TEF

I bought mine at the 5 dollar store. I was just going to throw them away, but I'll hang on try them with litchi app first. If I like it I'll splurge for a better pair. I can't believe all the money I've spent so far. But gotta pay to play, and you get what you paid for.

Thx @wa5tef

I think you will have to upgrade to the HDMI set before you get any better performance. I have 3 sets and all work the same. Some are easier to adjust and such but basically the same.
Good luck

Jim
WA5TEF

Yes! Litchi is very reliable. In fact that is the main reason I switched in November because DJI GO kept crashing. I flew in FPV mode for months before I tried the Waypoint mode and I love it! I can go into Mission Hub, create a mission, program waypoints with altitude, speed and camera orientation, then set Points of Interest to train the camera on as the drone flies by . After the mision is complete and saved to Mission Hub, on my desktop computer ,it also forwards it to my iPad that I fly with. I also tried the VR mode a couple of times. I ordered a cheap pair of goggles from Amazon, for about $14.00 I believe and it simply holds the iPhone in front of the goggles to view in dual mode. It is really quite good for the price but I am not that trusting yet. It would help to have someone else be a spotter while wearing the goggles because it can be hard to judge distances to other objects by using only the goggles. I would think that ones that used either USB or HDMI would be much better with more vivid video but I don't know for sure as I have never tried it that way.

I believe that once you try Litchi, you won't go back. Especially after you get familiar with the Waypoints missions. Then there is the FPV via goggles that you should enjoy too. So, what's another 1.2% of your purchase price of the Phantom. I think it will be a great investment of the $14.00 or so that it costs.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

So Jim @wa5tef you don't use dgi go anymore? Reason I ask is I just got a new tablet and I don't want to download anything I won't use.

Last edited:
So Jim @wa5tef you don't use dgi go anymore? Reason I ask is I just got a new tablet and I don't want to download anything I won't use.
You still need the DJI app for a number of base settings used in Litchi, future updates for the drone (regardless of whether you do so or not) and registration.
I rarely use the GO app due to the stupid pop up warnings and will wait until a future update fixes them. As mentioned above, Litchi is a great app and the one I use 99% of the time.

You still need the DJI app for a number of base settings used in Litchi, future updates for the drone (regardless of whether you do so or not) and registration.
I rarely use the GO app due to the stupid pop up warnings and will wait until a future update fixes them. As mentioned above, Litchi is a great app and the one I use 99% of the time.

This forum rocks. After I get my Flying skills sharpened. I'll have to find another forum for Adobe premiere. It's confusing but I seem to be following them on YouTube.

This forum rocks. After I get my Flying skills sharpened. I'll have to find another forum for Adobe premiere. It's confusing but I seem to be following them on YouTube.
Yeah there are some greats tips and clever people on this forum. I used the GO app for about six months to fully understand how the drone behaved and I was confident enough to use another app. I went straight to fitting a HDMI module and bought a set of Fatshark goggles so I could share the experience with others. Flying an extended mission on Litchi with the goggles on still spins me out :)
I use Adobe Premiere and it makes my often rubbish videos much more professional.

Yeah there are some greats tips and clever people on this forum. I used the GO app for about six months to fully understand how the drone behaved and I was confident enough to use another app. I went straight to fitting a HDMI module and bought a set of Fatshark goggles so I could share the experience with others. Flying an extended mission on Litchi with the goggles on still spins me out :)
I use Adobe Premiere and it makes my often rubbish videos much more professional.

@tevek it sure beats the old days where you hoped you could find anyone with your same interests to help you on rookie mistakes. I always looked at pictures in magazines and thought I'd never be able to afford a camera to take those shots.

The video I watched today I saw a guy turn what looks like my average pictures and turn it into a master piece. It was so interesting the way he was using the graphs that showed the colors I can't describe it right but it was pretty cool.

Reactions: tevek
@tevek it sure beats the old days where you hoped you could find anyone with your same interests to help you on rookie mistakes. I always looked at pictures in magazines and thought I'd never be able to afford a camera to take those shots.

The video I watched today I saw a guy turn what looks like my average pictures and turn it into a master piece. It was so interesting the way he was using the graphs that showed the colors I can't describe it right but it was pretty cool.
I'm hearing you, I can remember my first motorbike ride across Australia nearly 40 years ago and had to write to a m/bike magazine for tips on how to do it. Nowadays, you can click on YouTube and wade through hundreds of videos without leaving the kitchen. As for adobe premiere, still learning how to use it, but the results are remarkable and well worth the investment.

I'm hearing you, I can remember my first motorbike ride across Australia nearly 40 years ago and had to write to a m/bike magazine for tips on how to do it. Nowadays, you can click on YouTube and wade through hundreds of videos without leaving the kitchen. As for adobe premiere, still learning how to use it, but the results are remarkable and well worth the investment.

Sweet a fellow rider. I used to belong to a club that's where I learned my traveling skills 19,000 miles on my Roadking in one year.

That's the thing that really brought me to drones was the photography. Premiere looks so great I'll have to watch a lot of videos but this old dog does learn sometimes a little slower than I'd like.

Sweet a fellow rider. I used to belong to a club that's where I learned my traveling skills 19,000 miles on my Roadking in one year.

That's the thing that really brought me to drones was the photography. Premiere looks so great I'll have to watch a lot of videos but this old dog does learn sometimes a little slower than I'd like.
Yes over 40 years of riding and current bike (#27) is an S1000RR that needs to be ridden with respect. And yes learning new things takes a bit longer as the technology has changed so much, but I'm in no hurry anymore and if I appear to be a bit slower than the rest, so be it. Probably why I haven't crashed my P4 in over 12 months, flown over 680,000 mtrs and still get a huge buzz when hearing it return from a long distance run.

Guitarman, no, I don't even have a version of DJI GO downloaded. I was flying it with my iPad in November last year and I tried an upgrade and once completed and I tried to use it, I got the error message that my device was not supported! Since I had just been flying it prior to the upgrade, I figured since it no longer functioned for me, I did not need it. I thus downloaded Litchi and have been flying with it only since then. I did have DJI GO on my iPhone that I intended to keep around in case I needed it for some update, which after reading about the horror stories of those who upgraded, I just don't use it at all. I find that Litchi is a much better platform and has more features that I like so guess I won't be using DJI GO any in the future.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Yes over 40 years of riding and current bike (#27) is an S1000RR that needs to be ridden with respect. And yes learning new things takes a bit longer as the technology has changed so much, but I'm in no hurry anymore and if I appear to be a bit slower than the rest, so be it. Probably why I haven't crashed my P4 in over 12 months, flown over 680,000 mtrs and still get a huge buzz when hearing it return from a long distance run.
Oh I hear ya, I've been down 3 times. 14 broken bones later hahahaha.

I just hope the young people on here are highly grateful for this thing called the internet.

Reactions: tevek
Guitarman, no, I don't even have a version of DJI GO downloaded. I was flying it with my iPad in November last year and I tried an upgrade and once completed and I tried to use it, I got the error message that my device was not supported! Since I had just been flying it prior to the upgrade, I figured since it no longer functioned for me, I did not need it. I thus downloaded Litchi and have been flying with it only since then. I did have DJI GO on my iPhone that I intended to keep around in case I needed it for some update, which after reading about the horror stories of those who upgraded, I just don't use it at all. I find that Litchi is a much better platform and has more features that I like so guess I won't be using DJI GO any in the future.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
I'll just have to keep my eyes open for critical updates. The more video I watch on litchi the more I like it and haven't flown a foot hahahahaha.

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Jim should I download dji go to do my initial updates.

The,
Larry

Jim should I download dji go to do my initial updates.

The,
Larry
Not sure if you have a drone as yet, but you will need the DJI app to register it and set it up. After that you can either get used to flying with it (preferred IMO) and then move onto Litchi and then leave the go app installed but not in use.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel