FPV setup for Phantom 1 and GoPro Hero3+

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to all this. I have had a Phantom 1 for about 2 weeks and I'm loving it. Now I'm looking to add FPV functionality through my GoPro Hero 3+. My primary use is for arial cinematography to frame shots, but also to zoom around for FPV fun.

I'm operating the copter in rural Monntana, so there is very little (zero to my knowledge) interference from other people/devices. My flights are in big open spaces and I think I've gone 500-1000m.

Right now I've narrowed my choices to these two FPV kits:
-$285 kit from readymadeRC, 5.8GHz 600mW: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2066

-$340 this one on amazon from Black Pearl, 5.8GHz 200mW: http://www.amazon.com/Flysight-Blac...p/B00MQ6UZS8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I've spun myself around in circles not sure which to get. The amazon one is more expensive (though slightly), but seems more ready to go (have to get batteries for the other one), and has a monitor that will attach to the stock Dji controler. But the readymaderc seems like a more trustworthy, well-made brand?

The main difference is the 600 vs 200 mw, from what I can gather. Will my range be significantly increased by the 600? Or rather, is anything beyond 200 overkill for a Phantom 1? I keep reading conflicting arguments. Keep in mind I am flying in a remote area with little interference.

And I guess I could always upgrade to a 600mW transmitter later, using the other gear from the Black Pearl Kit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if there is another kit that is out there I haven't seen, please let me know.

Thank you.

Regarding your comment about just getting a 600 mW transmitter to replace the 200 that comes with immersion kit, you have to make sure you get the IMMERSION 600mW transmitter. Immersion uses a frequency that's still 5.8GHz, but off just enough to not play nice with "normal" 5.8 stuff. So you're kind of locked into their products.

Also, while a lot of people use GoPro cameras as their primaries for FPV, there have been more than a few instances where people's cameras have locked up, or the battery died, and once that happens, it's bye bye FPV signal. You could try to rig something up to where you use the camera that will come with whatever kit you get and have it move along with the gimbal/GoPro. Not sure how the gimbal will react with the extra weight/drag from another camera on there.

Just something to think about. I personally am running a fatshark 250mW setup on mine with an external battery for the TX and love it.

Welcome to the party BB.

I have a FC40 equipped with a gimbal and GoPro3+ Black, no FPV. Takes great pics and vids.
Makes it heavy, and the WiFi is only good enough to operate the camera for about 250 to 300 feet.

600 mw transmitters are pretty heavy.
I bought this for my new P1:
http://rctimer.com/product-1275.html

I started a thread about it here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...fpv-for-29-55-18-grams-without-antenna.44907/

There's a Google link in my signature that works good for searching. :D

The OP has a P1, so whatever you do, DON'T use the camera's WiFi. It'll interfere with the 2.4GHz signal the quad uses for control, and you risk some nasty results due to signal craziness.

This isn't a problem with the FC40 because it runs on 5.8GHz.

Reactions: IflyinWY
The OP has a P1, so whatever you do, DON'T use the camera's WiFi. It'll interfere with the 2.4GHz signal the quad uses for control, and you risk some nasty results due to signal craziness.

This isn't a problem with the FC40 because it runs on 5.8GHz.

Exactly correct. Thanks Green Phantom, I forgot to mention that fact.

Do NOT use the WiFi on the GoPro while flying the P1.

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I definitely wont use the wifi on the gopro, have heard the flyaway stories, thanks.

I think I'm gonna go with the 600mW kit, because I want as much range as possible. 600mW does get signifiant range over the 200mW?

Depends on where you fly. I wouldn't count on the extra power helping you keep your signal when you're behind trees and buildings and stuff. For the most part that 200mW will do just fine. I get a bit weird when my phantom gets out to where it's barely a spot in the sky, and my 200mW immersion setup will allow me to do exactly that. I've never taken it to its limits, but that 200mW is plenty to get me far enough to the point where I don't feel comfortable about the distance.

I've heard lots of "Long Rangers" say it's all in the antennas. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31