FPV - Screen or goggles??

Reaction score
I've been flying quite a while.
Just about to figure out what gimbal to buy.
My question now is - should I go for the some FatShark goggles or a screen attatched to the standard TX?
I hoping to both a little bit of flying FPV for fun t explore and some filming where the FPV come in quite handy.

Thanks a lot

Daniel

dguldager said:
I've been flying quite a while.
Just about to figure out what gimbal to buy.
My question now is - should I go for the some FatShark goggles or a screen attatched to the standard TX?
I hoping to both a little bit of flying FPV for fun t explore and some filming where the FPV come in quite handy.

Thanks a lot

Daniel

Well, the catch is that it's much easier to to buy the goggles,.and then its only a few bucks more if you want to add a monitor.
.but definitely not feasible the other way around.

I went with the goggles, easier to see in any environment.
but I've yet to try it with my external monitor. (which I have for photography)

Hi,

I recently added FPV setup to my Phantom (bought a package from FirstPersonView) and have been flying a bit with FatShark goggles. Flying FPV is a revelation, its amazing, really. But you would definitely need a spotter with you, someone who can warn you about the hazards that you cant see through the camera on the phantom.
I've just ordered a screen with built in receiver (again from FirstPersonView) and am going to give that a go at the weekend.

So my advice (from a self confessed newbie) is, if you're flying solo go for the screen, if not, go goggles. If you can afford it, get both.

I went the screen first for the solo flying issue as its much easier to see other things going on around then when fully immersed in goggles. Goggles most likely will be better in brighter ambient light unless you get a pretty good monitor most of the cheap fpv screens struggle in bright light even with a sun shield. I have ordered a much better 1000cdm 500/1 contrast screen as my current ari 7 inch screen isnt great in bright ambient lighting.

Many people that buy the fatshark package end up getting a better video tx as the fatshark is a little underpowered so even though its a good starter package it may be better just to get goggles and your own tx rx or screen rather then the fatshark package. I have the DJI avl 5.8 tx rx combo and Im very happy with the signal and range out of it but hope my new screen is as good as its specs. Its on the way from china and the way its going I should expect it any month now lol.

The answer is easier than you think, though not black and white. Decide whether you care more about making great videos or actually being immersed while flying.

Great Video = LCD screen
Flying Immersed = FPV goggles.

Hope that helps.

I started with a screen. I got the Kumbacam (not very good imo) and recently started using a Fatshark Attitude V2. Someone had already mentioned this, but worth mentioning again, a spotter is very important when using goggles. My first time out, I was so anxious and didn't have a spotter. I didn't get a chance to "open it up" for fear of losing perspective with the goggles on. Goggles are a totally different experience.

...I'll eventually upgrade to a better screen and use that along with the goggles.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl