Flytrex Live 3G Released - Review

Assuming the setup executable link for windows is http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM ... tified.exe then yes I did install it.
The first time I tried it a few days ago, I actually could choose between both COM1 and COM6, not knowing which one to choose I probably (can't remember) tried both.
Today I tried again and I can only see COM1, not sure why.

the firmware name never shows up in that little box once you select it (at least it never has for me). it's a bug I would imagine.

what is the LED color/pattern on the flytrex once you power it up?

Solid red, solid purple, solid blue and then flashing green
For what it's worth, the green connected on the live programmer software shows even when the live 3G isn't actually connected.

vico36 said:
Solid red, solid purple, solid blue and then flashing green
For what it's worth, the green connected on the live programmer software shows even when the live 3G isn't actually connected.

Yeah the "connected" thing is just a data connection and doesn't require power.

At least you have the proper LED sequence so it's not a bricked device. Mine went to solid red after I updated the firmware, but there was some error that flashed during the update process that I assume bricked it. Worked with Amit for a few days to try to get it to work (failsafe mode, etc) but in the end they're going to send me a new one.

Try sending the Flytrex FB page a message. They're pretty attentive there. Seems less so on these forums.

GL!

thank you for your help, I think the problem with mine is the drivers, there must be some weird conflict, the first time I tried, I could see COM6, which is the virtual usb com thingie. Now I can't see it anymore, and after uninstalling-reinstalling the drivers, it won't come back... annoying.

sure. also try uninstalling both the programmer and driver, restart computer, then reinstall driver then programmer. drivers are weird and sometimes a reboot is required in order properly clean up the artifacts.

Got my unit today and it is nicely tucked on the under belly of my P2.... Yippeeee!!!
Thanks Amit for hand-holding me through this. I received the unit without any customs hasstles.... so thanks a lot once again.

Now back to trouble shooting mode :D

My 3g connection wont work but another sim with 2g does and i get the blinking green led. Whereas with the 3g sim it stays purple for most part and then goes blue for some time before turning red again. What am I doing wrong?

I read this somewhere and not sure if it has anything to do with my problem.
No 2G GPRS data plan - Flytrex Live requires GPRS data connection. If using a SIM with only 3G or 4G data plan Flytrex Live will fail establishing network connection and the LED will remain purple.

I have a 3g plan but no 2g and if the above is true(i wonder why?) then could this be the root cause of the issue? Thanks

djifan said:
Got my unit today and it is nicely tucked on the under belly of my P2.... Yippeeee!!!
Thanks Amit for hand-holding me through this. I received the unit without any customs hasstles.... so thanks a lot once again.

My 3g connection wont work but another sim with 2g does and i get the blinking green led. Whereas with the 3g sim it stays purple for most part and then goes blue for some time before turning red again. What am I doing wrong?

No 2G GPRS data plan - Flytrex Live requires GPRS data connection. If using a SIM with only 3G or 4G data plan Flytrex Live will fail establishing network connection and the LED will remain purple.

I have a 3g plan but no 2g and if the above is true(i wonder why?) then could this be the root cause of the issue? Thanks

A solid blue LED means the Flytrex can hit the servers, so you're getting a data connection. Are you sure you bought the "Live 3G" and not the an older "Live" which is 2G only? They are identical looking and the only way to know is to look at its name on the Flytrex website. Under your account settings click on Live, and it will have your unit listed there "Live 3G, ID xxxxxxxxxxx". If it just say Live, then you've got an older model.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just finished installing mine last night and now listening to you guys I need to do a firmware update? Is this correct? I haven't installed a dim card yet, to if he I'll try it. I did turn it on and the light flashes red blue red blue.

jasonnelson007 said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just finished installing mine last night and now listening to you guys I need to do a firmware update? Is this correct? I haven't installed a dim card yet, to if he I'll try it. I did turn it on and the light flashes red blue red blue.

It should updates itself once it can communicate with the server.

Went thru the setup menu with h20 today, got a phone number for flytrex

Bought $10 airtime from NewEgg, they emailed me card.

Where does one find the Pin number, how many digits is it?

Trying to recharge card.

Good news is got as far as blue light with flytrex

Bad news is h20 says I have "0" balance even though I thought I did everything right :roll:

bbfpv said:
djifan said:

A solid blue LED means the Flytrex can hit the servers, so you're getting a data connection. Are you sure you bought the "Live 3G" and not the an older "Live" which is 2G only? They are identical looking and the only way to know is to look at its name on the Flytrex website. Under your account settings click on Live, and it will have your unit listed there "Live 3G, ID xxxxxxxxxxx". If it just say Live, then you've got an older model.
Thanks a lot.

Here is what it says when I click on Live under Account Settings:
Live Device (not linked to aircraft)
Live 3G, ID FL XXXXXXXXXXX

So I think I do have the 3G version. Anyone having only 3g(WCDMA) plan and not 2g(GSM/GPRS)? Thanks Again

Yeah you have the Live 3G version then.

Not sure what your question actually is unless you're saying you have a 3G CDMA SIM card, in which case it will not work with the Flytrex. Needs to be a GSM SIM card. If youre in the states, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.

I fired it up in the house and got the green flashing led. With motors running I simulated it flying around for a bit then shut it off. Checked my profile on flytrex and it said no data. Is it because I didn't actually fly it? I know there is an algorithm to only post actually flights but I thought I would fake it.

jasonnelson007 said:
I fired it up in the house and got the green flashing led. With motors running I simulated it flying around for a bit then shut it off. Checked my profile on flytrex and it said no data. Is it because I didn't actually fly it? I know there is an algorithm to only post actually flights but I thought I would fake it.

Yeah I don't think you can fake a flight.

bbfpv said:

Not sure what your question actually is unless you're saying you have a 3G CDMA SIM card, in which case it will not work with the Flytrex. Needs to be a GSM SIM card. If youre in the states, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.
Thanks, yes I'm on GSM and using a GSM sim card. But my plan is only 3G data i.e. no 2G data. Therefore if there is any attempt to establish a 2G data connection by the device, it will be declined by my operator. And based on what I gather from the following statement on Flytrex website, it is assumed that the Live doesn't work with a 3G only data plan.

My question therefore is whether my assumption is correct or do I need to look/troubleshoot elsewhere, Thanks a lot

H20 wireless

Update: When the recharge card is emailed to you, you Can Not use it if it's 10 digits, you have to call H20 CS, they'll add airtime minutes for you.

Navman said:
Went thru the setup menu with h20 today, got a phone number for flytrex

Bought $10 airtime from NewEgg, they emailed me card.

Where does one find the Pin number, how many digits is it?

Trying to recharge card.

Good news is got as far as blue light with flytrex

Bad news is h20 says I have "0" balance even though I thought I did everything right :roll:

djifan said:
bbfpv said:

Thanks, yes I'm on GSM and using a GSM sim card. But my plan is only 3G data i.e. no 2G data. Therefore if there is any attempt to establish a 2G data connection by the device, it will be declined by my operator. And based on what I gather from the following statement on Flytrex website, it is assumed that the Live doesn't work with a 3G only data plan.

My question therefore is whether my assumption is correct or do I need to look/troubleshoot elsewhere, Thanks a lot

Thats just wording from the old Live 2G manual. The Live 3G requires a 3G SIM, so it would be somewhat ridiculous to think that it wouldn't work with a 3G SIM. Regardless, 3G SIMs are backward compatible with 2G networks, so I don't even think there is such a think as "3G only".

edit: I could be totally mistaken here, so confirm with your operator.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor