Flytrex Live 3G Released - Review

jasonnelson007 said:
Finally got mine today. Week of cold weather ahead of me now but it gives me time to install I guess.

By careful of the small 2 wire harness and it's plug. The wires have been known to come out of the plug in the past. And the plug itself is made of a plastic that is very brittle. If you try to remove the plug at anytime this is when it becomes the easiest to break. And it comes with 4 small cut squares of 3M double face trim tape. However, I have found that it is a little better using Velcro tape instead. It seems to raise the device off the quad allowing the wires a better place to lay. It also absorbs all the vibration the device will receive which this will help extend it's life longer.

Ok so this is where you really want to focus in at. Before putting ANY tape of any kind on the device or quad, make sure you 1st copy the numbers from both areas you are about to place the tape on. You will need to NOT put ANY type of tape on until after you have scanned the code box on the quad. Scanning that box is part of the process of getting the device active. Mr. I didn't pay attention myself had to remove the Velcro tape I 1st installed in order to later do the scan process. So it's from my own experience as to why I'm pointing this out to you or anyone else that reads this ahead of time.

Brent10 said:
amitregev said:
The Live 3G transmits data packets between 2 to 4 times per second. This means that in the event of a crash and complete power loss Flytrex will still be able to point you to the last known location with 0.5 second accuracy (or better). You can then easily locate your last known location by visiting your Flytrex Live personal profile, or using one of our mobile apps (iOS and Android - available for free download).

Since the Live 3G transmits full telemetry data (and not only location details), in the event of a crash Flytrex will give you a full overview of your last-known aircraft status - and not only location data. This includes altitude from ground (whether you should be searching the tree tops..), last-known speed (in the event of a high-speed crash) and so on.

Since Flytrex stores your flight data to your personal Flytrex account, this means that even if you crash in to water, the system will still be able to pin-point you to the location you hit the water - which can make a huge difference recovering any components that might have survived (GoPro..).

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I have ordered one.

Thanks Brent10 for the support! :)

jasonnelson007 said:
What's the best install video to watch and where did you solder your power wires?

Check out the Flytrex support site. There's a step by step walk through of the install process with pictures. I followed it and had no issues.. the wires seem to be cut to the exact length you need if you follow their install procedure, so I wouldn't deviate or you might find yourself with a lot of extra wire to stuff under the hood.

I cut about 4" off the power and signal cables but I rarely follow instructions. That's why I had to peel it off off the belly to get the activation code.

I'm wondering if installing the Flytrex Live 3G will void the DJI warranty.
From reading the DJI warranty terms I'm not very optimistic.

Brent10 said:

If it does void the warranty, it's justified. I held off installing one on my first one and it proceeded to fly away during the warranty period. Had the flytrex been on it, I would at least have the bird in my possession to make a warranty claim on.

PhantomPhreak said:
I cut about 4" off the power and signal cables but I rarely follow instructions. That's why I had to peel it off off the belly to get the activation code.

What did you need an activation code for?

bbfpv said:
PhantomPhreak said:

At the back side of the Flytrex Live there is a silver sticker that includes the device Live ID (and a matching QR code that also includes the same Live ID). Before you start using Flytrex Live you need to link it with your Flytrex account. To do so, you need to use this Live ID, or QR Code, to register the Live 3G device with your Flytrex account. Usually, after installation, the sticker is covered and therefore harder to access. This is why we recommend registering your Live device before installation.

You can read more about how to register your Live device with your Flytrex profile at point #6 at our user manual: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex- ... /manual/#6

I hope this helps. :)

amitregev said:
bbfpv said:
PhantomPhreak said:

At the back side of the Flytrex Live there is a silver sticker that includes the device Live ID (and a matching QR code that also includes the same Live ID). Before you start using Flytrex Live you need to link it with your Flytrex account. To do so, you need to use this Live ID, or QR Code, to register the Live 3G device with your Flytrex account. Usually, after installation, the sticker is covered and therefore harder to access. This is why we recommend registering your Live device before installation.

You can read more about how to register your Live device with your Flytrex profile at point #6 at our user manual: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex- ... /manual/#6

I hope this helps. :)

Oh, I thought he meant on the bottom of the phantom. Was just going to say the same information is on the box :)

bbfpv said:
jasonnelson007 said:
What's the best install video to watch and where did you solder your power wires?

Check out the Flytrex support site. There's a step by step walk through of the install process with pictures. I followed it and had no issues.. the wires seem to be cut to the exact length you need if you follow their install procedure, so I wouldn't deviate or you might find yourself with a lot of extra wire to stuff under the hood.
Well the install hasn't gone so smooth. Directions are easy to follow but if anything could go wrong it has. First taking off the shell one of the small Phillips screws the head of my screwdriver broke off inside the head of the screw. So 2 hours later I got it out using a drill and a dremel.[emoji35]
Next get the wires routed around and go to solder them on only to find the tip on my pistol grip soldering iron is to big. Pull out my small butane one and it doesn't even get hot enough to melt the solder that's on the esc. So I guess I'll try again tomorrow when I get a new soldering iron.
Also received my stage 2 from fpvlr today but I think that's enough trauma for today. Lol

jasonnelson007 said:
bbfpv said:
jasonnelson007 said:

Well the install hasn't gone so smooth. Directions are easy to follow but if anything could go wrong it has. First taking off the shell one of the small Phillips screws the head of my screwdriver broke off inside the head of the screw. So 2 hours later I got it out using a drill and a dremel.[emoji35]
Next get the wires routed around and go to solder them on only to find the tip on my pistol grip soldering iron is to big. Pull out my small butane one and it doesn't even get hot enough to melt the solder that's on the esc. So I guess I'll try again tomorrow when I get a new soldering iron.
Also received my stage 2 from fpvlr today but I think that's enough trauma for today. Lol

:lol: Laughing when you should cry is better. I think. I have been there with days like that!!!

Brent10 said:

Today, Flytrex announced a new CAN-BUS adapter for the Phantom 2 Vision/Vision Plus which does not require soldering.
Not having to solder on the Phantom may help avoid possibly voiding the warranty although there is healthy debate whether even just opening the shell voids the warranty.
Regardless, I put my pre-order in for this new CAN-BUS adapter.

The announcement from Flytrex:
http://www.flytrex.com/blog/flytrex-pha ... s-adapter/

Brent10 said:
Brent10 said:

Today, Flytrex announced a new CAN-BUS adapter for the Phantom 2 Vision/Vision Plus which does not require soldering.
Not having to solder on the Phantom may help avoid possibly voiding the warranty although there is healthy debate whether even just opening the shell voids the warranty.
Regardless, I put my pre-order in for this new CAN-BUS adapter.

The announcement from Flytrex:
http://www.flytrex.com/blog/flytrex-pha ... s-adapter/

Brent10...how could you! Been here all day. :D

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34469

Anybody having issues updating the live 3G firmware? in my flytrex account it says I have v15 and I should update to v16, tried doing that using the live programmer but after connecting the live 3G to my pc successfully, nothing happens in the live programmer, the red progress bar stays red.

vico36 said:
Anybody having issues updating the live 3G firmware? in my flytrex account it says I have v15 and I should update to v16, tried doing that using the live programmer but after connecting the live 3G to my pc successfully, nothing happens in the live programmer, the red progress bar stays red.

Does the "connect" bar turn green after you hit the connect button?

Yes, however for some reason when i browse the firmware file, after selecting it, the firmware name isn't shown in the textbox below, not sure if intended.

Attachments

• flytrexfirmware.JPG
    flytrexfirmware.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 307
vico36 said:

Hi Vico36 :)

Just to verify - did you install the FTDI driver before trying to run the firmware upgrade? You can find the download link to the FTDI driver from the Flytrex Live Programmer download page: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex- ... rogrammer/

Let me know if this helps and how it goes. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z