Flytrex and Dashware - Straight line distance

Reaction score
The might be one for the math gurus or Flytrex experts (I'm neither)

Was playing around with Flytrex data in Dashware and the usual distance inputs are there along with distance from beginning inputs.

But one bit of data I thought would be useful and interesting is straight line distance. The absolute distance from the transmitter to the aircraft. Because that's what your real distance is. All I seem to be able to get right now is Horizontal Distance and Altitude. Flytrex seems to ignore the vertical component of the aircrafts distance and reports horizontal distance as the distance. So if you go straight up overhead to 1000 feet (we know you wouldn't do this) , Flytrex says your distance is zero which in this case the actual distance equals the altitude or 1000feet. Of course, you can easily calculate straight line distance from the horizontal and vertical distance using this formula....

dist.gif

Where Distance = the square root of the horizontal distance squared plus the vertical distance squared.

It would be nice to have a data input for "Absolute Distance" or straight line distance to the aircraft.
It's not a big deal, but just something that would be nice to see. Maybe it's already there and I missed it?
Does anyone know if this calculation is available in the Flytrex datastream?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4