flying with birds

I want to thank you for standing up , and not running away from those who challenged you. Many new posters will simply never post anything again once being thrashed , so standing up is not easy but I am glad you did it.
It is likely you who is being over sensitive. There was no thrashing- simply genuine concern which has been clarified yet your still agitating

Thank you all for your educated remarks and discussions.
As a farmer and a person that lives very close to nature, I had no intention to disturb wild lives around me.
On the contrary, I just wanted to document the wonderful views I meet almost daily.
The pictures on the lake: birds behave the same way every time that someone goes to swim there or even when I row my canoe and quietly get close to their flock. the birds take off and lend again after few meters. I took so many pictures of birds from my regular camera.You don't have to believe me but I tried to get to the birds slowly and as quiet as possible even though it looks in one of the seeneries as if I was "chasing" them. I was not! I flew my drone after them for short few meters and got further fade away by taking off.
Storks pictures: the storks are migrating birds in our region. twice a year storks flows are flying above the Jordan rift (The area were I live), to /from Europe/Africa. They are using air thermic to lift up and than they glide to the next thermic. this is the way they advance by using minimum energy. After learning their patern of taking off, I just joined them flying in order to document it and fly with them for short few minutes. I did not(!!!) disturb their afternoon rest....
And for the general discussion: I consider my drone as a camera platform to take pictures from different perspective. I fly my camera very careful with lots of consideration. I am looking after privacy of people and animals as well. I see NO DIFFERENCE between a drone photographer and a "ground photographer". For some reason people (including drones operators) consider drones cameras as a bigger threat than a regular camera and when they see a drone picture vs regular picture, it creates a resentment. And it should not!!!.....
Sorry for my long response

I don’t think you took any concern the wrong way- to the extent you have a genuine appreciation for the wildlife you would know where we were coming from and our intentions. It did look like the birds were being chased.

Thanks, I am proud of my work and have nothing to hide. Knowing how much I love nature and how to integrate with nature creating minimum disturbance (sometimes there might be disturbances but I doing everything possible to minimise it).

Thanks for a great video, Doron. I loved every moment of both the bird flights and the ducks/geese on the water.

I keep ducks myself, currently about 40 Welsh Harlequins. They are one of the best breeds for egg laying at well over 200 each per year and also one of the best at brooding, so if they perform as they did last year I should have about 150 by the Summer. So, along with a couple of pairs of Canada Geese and half a dozen Pintails that appear for free food and nursery facilities each year I should have a fairly populated lake (about 1 acre) of happy families again this year.

Oh! and I also fly my drone over the lake quite regulary to check the small island for wayward egg layers. The ducks just ignore the drone, but if I leave it on the floor in the barn they will lay eggs all around it by morning, as if they are making offerings to a higher being. The wild birds usually take flight when the drone flies, but they are certainly not stressed, as within minutes they are back stealing the duck food. I'm really just an inconvenience to them.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Wildlife harassment, even John Denver's song wont take one's attention away from that.

Talk about stress, this is what it looks like when a Bald Eagle fly over a flock of geese. :)

Mr.G

_DSC3174-3.jpg
_DSC3174-4.jpg

This is the best way I’ve found to fly over birds. (Sadly I lost this aircraft on the return mashed potato flight)

87F853C2-098D-486E-81FA-F9C55BF0CD55.jpeg

Reactions: JohnnyB
My post was an attempt at humor. No drones are harmed during my meal times.

I wouldn’t fly my drones on frivolous things like food delivery. They are normally too busy taking my dogs on pre-programmed waypoint flightplan walks. I just attach their leash to the landing skids and....

My post was an attempt at humor. No drones are harmed during my meal times.

I wouldn’t fly my drones on frivolous things like food delivery. They are normally too busy taking my dogs on pre-programmed waypoint flightplan walks. I just attach their leash to the landing skids and....
Rubbish...

DORONLEV That is a BEAUTIFUL video! Thanks for sharing it with us. And..... I commend you for being concerned about the wildlife to photograph it, and not "chase it" I saw no obvious harassment or "chasing". there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20