Flying under trees......?

Reaction score
I am going to France next month, taking my P3P with me. One of the objects I am considering is the Canal-du-midi in the South. I can envision some nice shots possible. The canal has a lot of trees on its banks and sometimes the crowns of the trees meet, forming a living green tunel. I am sure, that would look nice, flying about 6' above the water along a strecth of the canal.

I can see 2 issues here : flying iver water at vairly low altitude and the foliage coverage by some of the tree tops that might impede good GPS satellite reception.
Both situations are new to me. Any thoughts, experiences and recommendations from the more seasoned pilots here?

Should be fine. Just be ready to fly manual or start in manual. Also think about your RTH height if you lose connectivity.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I am going to France next month, taking my P3P with me. One of the objects I am considering is the Canal-du-midi in the South. I can envision some nice shots possible. The canal has a lot of trees on its banks and sometimes the crowns of the trees meet, forming a living green tunel. I am sure, that would look nice, flying about 6' above the water along a strecth of the canal.

I can see 2 issues here : flying iver water at vairly low altitude and the foliage coverage by some of the tree tops that might impede good GPS satellite reception.
Both situations are new to me. Any thoughts, experiences and recommendations from the more seasoned pilots here?
Should be fine. Just be ready to fly manual or start in manual. Also think about your RTH height if you lose connectivity.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Pretty much. You'll probably go into ATTI mode which shouldn't be a problem if you've gotten used to flying. RTH is the only thing I'd worry about but it shouldn't happen.

I would love to see the video if you are able to get some. That is a beautiful area. It has lots of branches, so if you get close to them be mindful of how much the branches move. Sometimes it feels like P3s are tree food. The branches love to get sucked down into the props!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl