Flying under trees

Reaction score
I want to get some video footage of a street near me lined with trees on both sides creating a neat canopy etc...
I want to fly underneath it getting some nice forward runs and pull away shots.
Max height of maybe 10'-15' and will only fly out 300' or so.
My question is do I turn off rth? I should not be far enough to disconnect but would hate for it to trigger and rise up into the canopy.
Will it be an issue with tree covererage regarding GPS or WiFi etc.. I will keep it in sight and lined up with rc and it's not full canopy coverage.
Any suggestions or reasons I should not do this,
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Don’t do it!!!! I did close to that done a street. I thought I hit a y’all bush and throttled up. Ended up in the bottom of a 40 foot pine tree. And crashed to the ground. Needless to say a shell, landing gear and a 4K camera later. I will only fly where the air is clear above the unit lol. And HIGH up

do I turn off rth?
That's not possible. The best you could do is set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

Hover is the best case option. If for some reason it lost signal (fat chance if you're within 500ft or even more) you just move and re-aquire it.

We've done similar shots several times. I do change the "Loss of Signal" to Hover In Place just to be safe but it's never been needed to this point.

Just go slow and steady.

Will it be an issue with tree covererage regarding GPS or WiFi etc..
If it's in sight, wifi should be fine but if the canopy cover is thick enough it may affect GPS.
You won't know without trying.
If concerned, you could do a test - no need to fly, just power on and walk with the Phantom and controller and see what the GPS signal is like.

I flew couple months ago in a park that was cover with a lot of trees around. I took off in a small space open and ended up crashing the drone into a tree. Fortunately nothing happens but if you have a standard, don't do it. They depends a lot on the GPS system.

Reactions: dazzer
It all depends on your ability to fly in ATTI mode. Not saying you will need to, but if you can’t handle ATTI mode with confidence, then your taking a risk. Otherwise, I agree with others, set to hover vs RTH.

If it’s a P4P, use tripod mode and set C1 or 2 to Narrow Sensing (hold). This will give you some protection from ATTI drifts. It will be a slow flight, but you can adjust the appearance for speed in post editing. Looks okay as long as you don’t have any foreign objects in your shot that upset the perspective to viewers, i.e., people or cars that look too fast. Did some just the other day under oaks, never lost signal or GPS.

Reactions: BigAl07
Now that I said that, not sure how sensors would respond if no GPS. Anyone know for sure?

GPS only tells it where it is, not whats around it. Satellite lock helps with that magical hover and navigation. Other than that, it's all YOU. Any sensors would aid in object avoidance. Even as little as 8-10 sats would/should give you stability in that situation to safely do your deed.

Weather hasn't been great so haven't tried yet.
Now im talking about a 2 lane road with parking on side so trees are spaced apart and canopy I'd trimmed high enough for trucks to go under so lots of room to maneuver.
Since it is a straight shot, I thought set the course lock and go back forth on a set path.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Weather hasn't been great so haven't tried yet.
Now im talking about a 2 lane road with parking on side so trees are spaced apart and canopy I'd trimmed high enough for trucks to go under so lots of room to maneuver.
Since it is a straight shot, I thought set the course lock and go back forth on a set path.
Do it, do it, do it.... (Slowly of course...)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik