Flying over water - looking for advice!

I was having a heck of a time flying near a waterfall one day, the turbulent water had my P3 bouncing and bobbing all over (this was early on, didn't know to turn off VPS), I couldn't get it to maintain a steady hover at all. That said, no effect while actively flying it. As others have said, it's more of getting over the fear of something happening to it. Safe flying! :D

Reactions: GaryJD
I've flown my P3A close to water very often, with the VPS disabled as a precaution, and have had zero issues.

Most of this video was filmed over water, particularly close during the opening shot, and when flying under the bridge (min 1:26'):

I am using a P4P+ now to film the surfing. Have not had any issues with the collision avoidance. The drone flies very steadily. However, you need to take care as the CA doesn't always work over water. Here is a clip where i get too close to a wave. Squeaky bum time but epic footage!!

I've flown my P3A close to water very often, with the VPS disabled as a precaution, and have had zero issues.

Most of this video was filmed over water, particularly close during the opening shot, and when flying under the bridge (min 1:26'):

Well done! Nice video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I personally don't turn my VPS off while flying over the ocean. In a couple parts of this video I was flying just above 6 feet over the ocean and had no trouble with my VPS turned on.
check it out, let me know what you think and let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Great directing, miles away from boring - nothing happens - clips!

Very nice video. "Gutsy move, Mav" on that bridge.

Your opening reflection of the drone on the water is an idea I can use locally. Thanks.

AD

What I find strange is that you can't turn off GPS without also turning off VPS, since the only way in a P3 to turn off GPS is in ATTI mode, which leaves you only with the barometer for height. I would think you'd want to turn off GPS but leave on VPS when flying indoors since GPS reception can be unpredictable indoors but VPS could probably provide horizontal stability. Many talk about repeating patterns being a problem but really I believe the issue is no patterns like a smooth surface with no patterns. Consider it like an optical mouse that pretty much works on any surface except glass or other smooth, shiny, solid color surface where the mouse just won't work.
Then again, I've seen a mouse go nuts on a mousepad that had owl feathers on the picture that would sometimes cause the mouse pointer to jump.

Actually, VPS might not be as useful indoors as you think. The lateral stability depends a lot on the surface patterns over which you are flying. Flooring with little or not strong patterns (e.g. Gym floors) or very regular patterns like tiles can make it difficult for the algorithms to track. And depending on how polished the floor was, the sonar may not be stabile either.

What I find strange is that you can't turn off GPS without also turning off VPS, since the only way in a P3 to turn off GPS is in ATTI mode, which leaves you only with the barometer for height. I would think you'd want to turn off GPS but leave on VPS when flying indoors since GPS reception can be unpredictable indoors but VPS could probably provide horizontal stability. Many talk about repeating patterns being a problem but really I believe the issue is no patterns like a smooth surface with no patterns. Consider it like an optical mouse that pretty much works on any surface except glass or other smooth, shiny, solid color surface where the mouse just won't work.
Then again, I've seen a mouse go nuts on a mousepad that had owl feathers on the picture that would sometimes cause the mouse pointer to jump.
Sorry, DanMan, just realized my post was very similar to the last part of yours.

Very nice video. "Gutsy move, Mav" on that bridge.

Your opening reflection of the drone on the water is an idea I can use locally. Thanks.

AD

Thanks a lot! A tip: The reflection shot works best when moving forward smoothly. Hovering in place too close will only show the ripples of the prop wash.

I am using a P4P+ now to film the surfing. Have not had any issues with the collision avoidance. The drone flies very steadily. However, you need to take care as the CA doesn't always work over water. Here is a clip where i get too close to a wave. Squeaky bum time but epic footage!!

That was close. I think you need wipers[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor