Flying Near Wind Turbines

Reaction score
In my area, the rural landscape is dotted with wind turbines. I rarely fly anywhere close to them but if I did would you expect they could have any affect on the GPS or Compass? One time I was probably roughly 100 meters from a wind turbine and my drone went into atti mode due to no GPS momentarily. This wasn't a major issue because I had line of site but is this a common issue to look out for?

I've flown and recorded wind farms in two different areas without interference. I don't suggest it since they're essentially power plants but I couldn't resist. Stunning video. I would warn it's hard to gauge distance. You could be closer or further than it appears. The turbines are spinning faster than 100mph at times. You don't want your aircraft swiped out of the air

If the anomaly is repeatable then, yes. If you cannot make it happen a second or third time then probably not.

Always toyed with the idea of doing this from a safe distance. Whereabouts are you?

Windsor, Ontario, Canada. The county here (Essex County) is extremely flat, so about 10 years ago the wind turbines started popping up in every rural area.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31