Flying near/over solar voltaic field

Reaction score
I need to do a photo shoot in a couple of months that involves flying around and over a sod farm that's been converted to a solar voltaic field. It dawned on me that there might be some electrical interference issues with telemetry as well as onboard systems so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this? There's a large transformer and distribution area in one corner of the field but other than that everything seems to be underground. Will probably be flying at 200 to 300 feet and shooting stills. Presume I'll take off 1/4 mile away from the field then fly in at altitude to do the shooting but will 200 to 300 ft agl be high enough to be safe from potential interference?

Andrew

Why do you think flying over solar photo voltaic cells should be a problem?

There is no EM generated next to these cells. You might see little noise near the transformer area where DC Is converted to AC but even that should be insignificant at flying heights.

Reactions: Flyer91
You should be ok at that height, just keep an eye on your screen fore any errors. Be careful around generator plants. About a year ago while flying my Phantom Fc40 over a damm ,I lost control and almost crashed into the river. I didn't realize at that time hydroelectric generators cause so much interference.

You should be just fine. I have solar and I fly over my array (withing 15ft) on a daily basis and have zero problems.

I'd be more concerned about flying above the panels & having your Phantom fried if it gets caught in a concentrated beam of reflected sunlight.

Matt Vespa - Extra Crispy? California Solar Farm Killed 3,500 Birds

I need to do a photo shoot in a couple of months that involves flying around and over a sod farm that's been converted to a solar voltaic field. It dawned on me that there might be some electrical interference issues with telemetry as well as onboard systems so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this? There's a large transformer and distribution area in one corner of the field but other than that everything seems to be underground. Will probably be flying at 200 to 300 feet and shooting stills. Presume I'll take off 1/4 mile away from the field then fly in at altitude to do the shooting but will 200 to 300 ft agl be high enough to be safe from potential interference?

Andrew

Reactions: alokbhargava

Andrew
I was flying yesterday and wanted to do a 90* pic over the solar panels and began to think otherwise like you. I was afraid that it might cause interference and make my quad drop and damage one of those panels. So took one at a different angle, lol.
p1715330636-4.jpg

Dont think you will have any problems near the panels but if there are any large transformers or local distribution hubs around stay well away.

I was quite surprised a month or so ago I tried taking off from a unbuilt development my drone was going nuts anywhere near (50 M) from a local step down transformer, I did not think it was active as they have not built houses but as soon as I powered up, getting calibration and other errors.

Moved another 1km away then fine.

I was flying yesterday and wanted to do a 90* pic over the solar panels and began to think otherwise like you. I was afraid that it might cause interference and make my quad drop and damage one of those panels. So took one at a different angle, lol.
p1715330636-4.jpg
Based on your picture and text and the note that following post this is exactly what I was looking for. Did you notice a transformer pad at this location? That's what I'm most concerned about.

Thanks

I didn't notice one, but I wasn't really looking. I was more worried about the panels. Like I said, I got nervous and moved away.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unless that building contains a magnetic death ray machine (possible but unlikely) you should be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl