Flying near and under metal bridges

Reaction score
Just curious if the signal would get all messed up and what the odds would be of a fly away if you were to fly near or under some big steel bridges?

I suspect you could have issues with lost Tx/Rx signal. That in turn might trigger Return To Home.

But then the compass might be scrambled, and the GPS shielded by the metalwork.

Doesn't sound too good to me :(

I've flown close to large metal structures on many occasions. I'm not sure why, but I have seen the Phantom pulled toward the structure when just hovering, and the pull gets stronger the closer it gets. You need to be ready to compensate. That's the only problem I found.

I was at a local RC club and a train track was very close by and I was warned not to fly around the trestle not so much because of the train but some transmission lines running under the trestle. Someone had already crashed a drone due to getting to close.
So I would imagine each bridge would have it's own set of issues.

tubino said:
I've flown close to large metal structures on many occasions. I'm not sure why, but I have seen the Phantom pulled toward the structure when just hovering, and the pull gets stronger the closer it gets. You need to be ready to compensate. That's the only problem I found.

100% correct, I have ran into this several times

I fly near a lighthouse in my town all the time. Close to it you will lose your compass and go into atti mode but can easily back away from the lighthouse and regain it. Now that I'm used to it and expecting that to happen, I can be ready to compensate for the wind blowing me around in Atti mode.

Searching for tips on flying under bridges is what brought me here and I'm thinking two approaches: fly in A mode so you don't have to worry about losing gps halfway under the bridge or just expect to lose it. As long as you keep visual LOS of the copter, shouldn't have RTH

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31