Flying my P3S over building

Reaction score
Hey all,

So basically I've been tasked with making an advert for a football match (real football i.e. what some of you call ""Soccer"" jkjk) for my school. It's to be shown on Friday next week. Obviously, I really want to take some drone shots on my P3S which I want to fly over the school to create a sense of setting - it's a staff vs student match and I thought it would be quite cool.

I've asked my Head of year for permission to fly the drone to which he replied that he'd have to talk to the governors because of all this child protection blablabla. However, he's quite a busy man and he hasn't responded to me despite me nagging on about it.

With the deadline next week, I want to take the shots as soon as possible so I have maximum editing time. Despite no formal permission, by law, am I allowed to fly the drone over the school anyway as long as I am above the 50m legal limit (as stated by the UK drone code)? I feel frustrated that the teacher disregarded me and at the same time I don't want to nag on because he definitely has a lot of more important things to do rather than worry about me and my drone lol.

Safety first. Always be safe and make sure you know what's required of you if you fly over people in the country you're in (where football doesn't involve 100 yards and touchdowns).

Personally, I would have phrased my initial email in the following way, "I am tasked with putting together a video of the game... I intend to use aerial footage from a drone for part of this. I will plan to fly in x, y, and z locations taking into account these specific safety precautions. If you foresee an issue with me moving forward with this plan, please let me know with enough time to change my plan to accommodate the change."

You could always send another one that says the same thing. It let's you move forward and puts the ball in their court.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1