Flying Drone in and around Atlanta

there is a park call wilkerson park that i often go and fly in and for some reason there are very few people there sometimes i am the only one in the park. it is in palmetto off of union city exit.

I have a place on the lake so i can take off from there or off my boat during April-Nov.

there are a couple of public places I think you can launch from though, get off 75 at exit 278, Glade Rd, turn left, at the Racetrack turn right on Lake Acworth Drive. About 1.5 miles after turning the road crosses where Allatoona and Lake Acworth have a spillway connection. There is a parking area at both ends of the bridge and lots of people park there and walk down to the water and fish etc.

I am guessing it would be no problem to fly from there.

Another option might be from one of the marinas, again, 75 to glade rd, take a right off the exit, go less than a mile until you get to a 3 way stop, go left on Tanyard Creek rd, take that until the end, turn right on Groovers Landing, follow that until it dumps you at Holiday Harbor Marina, not sure but they have a retail store and sell boats there so a big parking lot. They may restrict but could be worth a shot too.

Good luck

Cool! Thanks.

I think I may go to Alpharetta tomorrow morning where they are building the new community across the street from the Avalon - between Old Milton and Webb Bridge. Just to get a before and after shot.

None that I can think of.

I just checked the DJI no Fly zone: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

No restrictions that I can see.

I checked the pilot sectional maps (skyvector.com) and don't appear to see any restrictions.

So I would say you are a Go!!

Btw I am in the area (atlanta). Perhaps I could join you sometime. I like flying over water :)

I didn't see any restrictions on sectional map nor DJI Flyzone site
Of course check for TFRs prior to flying
I don't think that area is a state park (which of course would be illegal to fly in if it was)
Have fun... PM me if you want company

Do you know of any rules/regs restricting flight around Lake Allatoona? I will be volunteering for about 5-6 months at the COE visitor center there and can't seem to find anyting about it. TIA
I live 3-5 miles from Allatoona lake, and I fly out in that area on a regular basis. Ive never had any problems. Its not in any restricted airspace that I know of. Airmap shows the dam as a NFZ but I fly over it all time, I have several pics of it. Another good place if you dont mind a hike, go to the top of Pine Mountain east of Cartersville, (exit 288 off I-75 Main St). Take right at exit, go to dead end about 200 yds, turn right then turn left into a gravel parking area for the Trails. If you get to the top there is a open space with a 180Deg view at 1500ft up. You can fly out as far as you want with no signal blockage.

Last I heard, float planes do operate on Lake Allatoona so keep your head on a swivel.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll be in that area in about a month, so might just roust some of ya'll up to go flying.

Last I heard, float planes do operate on Lake Allatoona so keep your head on a swivel.

True. As I do allot of boating out there during summer. Ive seen them fly 50ft off water down the length of the lake, which I feel is not "legal", the closest airport is in cartersville and Kennesaw. Most are just double wing antique, Ive never seen one land or takeoff from water as Ive been boating that lake for 25 yrs.

And BTW, it is legal for aircraft to fly 50 feet off the lake surface as long as they remain 500 feet from people or boats.

And BTW, it is legal for aircraft to fly 50 feet off the lake surface as long as they remain 500 feet from people or boats.
I guess you havent seen that lake on a Sat or Sunday during summer.... LOL. Granted it does not happen often, during week its not busy.

Interesting note: during my research prior to going there I found out that: Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone averages 3-4 million visitors each per year. Lake Allatoona averages 7-8 million.

Interesting note: during my research prior to going there I found out that: Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone averages 3-4 million visitors each per year. Lake Allatoona averages 7-8 million.

Its the closest lake to Atlanta Metro area. Surrounded by several campgrounds and crowded by boat traffic mostly. Its basically a "flooded" river dammed up in 1940. Lake Lanier is larger but about 50 miles to the east.

Planning to fly this weekend or next in Piedmont park. Any of you flown there recently ? Hope there is no new restrictions in effect

Planning to fly this weekend or next in Piedmont park. Any of you flown there recently ? Hope there is no new restrictions in effect

I live near by and fly all the time there. No restrictions. Check for TFR of course but unlikely

I like the open field area by the Grady football field to setup and launch from

I’ll be in FL this weekend so not around. Hit me up if u go next weekend

Enjoy

Any of you from Atlanta ? Please suggest some good trouble free spots for flying my P4 in and around Atlanta.
My P4 is registered with FAA. Thanks

I am visiting Atlanta this weekend and I wasn’t wondering if you found a nice and safe place to fly? I am by Atlanta downtown area.

I would highly recommend Piedmont Park.
Close by, OK to fly in (no restrictions or nearby airports), good scenery.
I fly there most of the time
I would go early - like 8-ish - since it is a park, it will get crowded later in the am
the whole flying over people thing LOL
If you go, PM me and maybe I can join. I could only go Sun am though

Any of you from Atlanta ? Please suggest some good trouble free spots for flying my P4 in and around Atlanta.
My P4 is registered with FAA. Thanks
Remember, you can not fly in any of the Corps of Engineers parks, Allatoona, Lanier, etc. or over any dams.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164