Flying around the Northern Territory, Australia

Reaction score
Just thought I would share these experiences with everyone. We have relocated to Darwin and been touring around and seeing the sights that the Territory has to offer. Temperatures have been reaching around the 45 deg celsius mark(113 deg f) and high humidity. The drone (P3S) has been solid. I only fly it for 5-6 minutes at each location (I only have 1 battery so need to conserve for each place we go to in a day - looking to buy an extra battery soon). I use an iPhone 8plus with the DJI go app.

Where my flights sometimes turn hairy is the phone over heating. Nothing more interesting then losing the sight from the camera on the phone. Luckily the areas I fly in are clear and I can always see the drone - but it makes the heart skip a beat.

Reactions: dreddman
Be careful with short flights. You could get an improper reading on the battery. The battery has been known to drop really fast with many short flights. Just don't get caught off guard. I would love to see the pictures.

Reactions: MAJoJa
Thanks for that. I figure it nots good on the battery, but we visit 3-4 sites in a day on our trip. I don't want to use up all the battery on the first and miss the best footage from the last place. I do need to get an extra battery (maybe put it on my Christmas list for Santa :) ). Here is a link to my YT site https://www.youtube.com/user/MAJoJax4?sub_confirmation=1 . I do a mix of ground and aerial footage (still need to improve on my flying skills). I really do like my Gunlom Falls video - great place to send the drone up.

Be careful with short flights. You could get an improper reading on the battery. The battery has been known to drop really fast with many short flights. Just don't get caught off guard. I would love to see the pictures.
Excellent video and editing. I love looking at the landscape. Where is the waterfall? Lol Wasn’t the rainy season, was it? I didn’t know you had alligators there? Didn’t it say alligator river?

Reactions: MAJoJa
Excellent video and editing. I love looking at the landscape. Where is the waterfall? Lol Wasn’t the rainy season, was it? I didn’t know you had alligators there? Didn’t it say alligator river?

Lol. Unfortunately they turned the water off that day. In the later stages of the dry season when we went there. Would be amazing being there after the wet.

I’m not sure why it’s called alligator river when Australia has crocodiles.

Ohh. According to Wikipedia
They were explored by Lieutenant Phillip Parker King in 1820, who named them in the mistaken belief that the crocodiles in the estuaries were alligators.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Many people treat the battery as a tank of fuel in a vehicle. Use 25%, still have 75% left " in the tank". Unfortunately lipo batteries don't work that way and will eventually lead to a crash. Flying in excessive hear is bad for your phone and the phantom, just FYI.

I live in the southwestern part of the U.S. and it reaches 110F in the summer. I fly very early in the morning or an hour before civil twilight.

Reactions: dreddman and MAJoJa
As a New Phantom owner I have been wondering about temperatures as I live in outback central Queensland and the temps regularly get up to the 40s I got 2 batteries with my P3 std what if I kept one battery for short flights and the other for long flights

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31