flying a flag under my phantom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
might be fun on the fourth of july but how,hmmm.. a weight under the flag or maybe a dowel across 1 end. i dunno.anyone ever done it?

Braid fishing line and a sinker.

Carbon fiber rod in the bottom hem of the flag. Attach flag to drone with a few feet of fishing line, keeping it well below the Phantom.

just be careful, had a buddy do this last year and it got caught on something ( i forget what) and it went down hard.

might be fun on the fourth of july but how,hmmm.. a weight under the flag or maybe a dowel across 1 end. i dunno.anyone ever done it?
Sounds cool !! need one ? Fly mine :)
ms.jpg
MS State flag ;)

Reactions: captblast
There are a couple of dozen YouTube videos of people hanging a goul/ghost/witch from their drone and pranking their neighbors during Halloween.
No difference in hanging a flag below. Just have the sense to stay above reaching hands and other snags.

Wasn't it here on this forum that I read about someone charging (outside the US) a fee for hanging vertical advertising banners from their quad and flying over festivals and other gatherings?

There are a couple of dozen YouTube videos of people hanging a goul/ghost/witch from their drone and pranking their neighbors during Halloween.
No difference in hanging a flag below. Just have the sense to stay above reaching hands and other snags.

Wasn't it here on this forum that I read about someone charging (outside the US) a fee for hanging vertical advertising banners from their quad and flying over festivals and other gatherings?

Mini Banner towing, I could do that. :D

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'll tow a banner looking like a Wolf to make the cows move faster.

Great, now I'm thinking about moving targets...

Last edited:
I dare somebody to fly this old flag of Georgia (retired in 2001) in say....... Baltimore right now.

georgia_zpssibumull.png

If you're going to do this, I recommend you take some cues from the aerial banner guys. First and foremost, fabricate some kind of safety link and use it. What you're looking for is a piece of wire bent into an open loop. The loop is open so that you can hook a line from it to your Phantom and another line from it to your flag.

The trick here is to use the right size wire. You want something that is heavy enough that it won't unbend under the load of the flag and whatever drag (i.e. pull) it produces in the wind as you're flying. But you also want something that is light enough so that it will unbend itself immediately and therefore release the line if your flag catches on anything solid. A heavy duty paper clip should do the job pretty well I would think.

Late to this discussion but seen this on Amazon. . Actually been saw this months ago but no way in hell in going to pay 30$ for something I have no choice of what it'll say on the banner ( actually one choice and that's WE COME IN PEACE. With the quad)

https://www.amazon.com/Photojojo-Drone-Banner/dp/B011RL71RA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_sawdod_B8pcxb0ETKV3T_tt

12$ it came here less than two days and actually flew it around Mardi Gras with banner up. It's well made for what it is and hardware although simple seems to be effective . I would attach to drone via 2x Velcro mounting points into the landing gear after you have already taken off. Got snagged once when a gust of wind was blowing while trying to take off with the banner sitting under neath the drone

I really bought it in hopes to reverse engineer it so I can have a banner made or altered with whatever I choose.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 1,288
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic