FLY ZONE

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about fly zones. I live near a airport which is Class C Airspace. I actually live under the outer ring of the Class C Airspace. The outer ring airspace starts at 1,600 ft. My question is do I need authorization to fly if I'm under the Class C Airspace or is it that I'm in the area of the Class C Airspace. I'm not in the Class C Airspace. Please advise

Are you within 5 miles of the airport? If not you are fine, if you are within 5 I believe you must notify the ATC, you can still fly but should let them know.

Reactions: N017RW
Class C is normally surface to 4,000 for 5 nautical miles out from the airport, them from 1600 feet to 4,000 for another 5-- check the sectional chart for your location.. So you are probably good to go if you live under that second ring. AIRMAP is a good tool. Gold Seal UAS class is a good idea too!

Are you within 5 miles of the airport? If not you are fine, if you are within 5 I believe you must notify the ATC, you can still fly but should let them know.

I'm 7 miles out. My problem is when I boot up my drone and get ready to fly it comes up with the following: Cannot take off. The aircraft is in a (Class C). Fly with caution here. It also shows I'm under a red circle. I went into my dji account and clicked on the map and it states if its red its restricted. Funny thing is the closer you get to the airport it shows you are authorized to fly. I have updated firmware on both the drone and controller. Common sense tells me dji has it backwards.

That didn't come out right. If you are within the 5 mile circle you cannot fly, the outer circle is usually from 5 miles out to 10 miles from airport and the ceiling is no lower than 1200 but I believe you still must have authorization to fly in there.

Class C is normally surface to 4,000 for 5 nautical miles out from the airport, them from 1600 feet to 4,000 for another 5-- check the sectional chart for your location.. So you are probably good to go if you live under that second ring. AIRMAP is a good tool. Gold Seal UAS class is a good idea too!

Airmap says its good to go. Skyvector says its good to go. DJI says Its Not Good to go. When everything is booted up and ready to fly it says (Cannot take off. The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class C). Fly with caution here). Also the map shows I'm in a red circle. I went into my dji account and clicked on the map and its states the red is in a restricted area and it will not allow me to fly. Something is wrong here. I have updated firmware in both the drone and controller. Not happy

I just put this question to a friend over at Gold Seal and he said you are not restricted to fly in that area because you would not be in the actual class "C" airspace at 400 feet agl.

I just put this question to a friend over at Gold Seal and he said you are not restricted to fly in that area because you would not be in the actual class "C" airspace at 400 feet agl.

Thats what I thought from my 107......it's Class G. My guess is DJI wants to keep you out so they tack on a few miles to keep you out.

What airport is it? DJI should not be preventing you from flying as long as you are more than 5 miles from the airport and under the ceiling which at 400agl you would be way under it.

That is what I thought all along. My thoughts are dji has it wrong. As stated before in some of my threads it shows me in the red circle which is restricted and want let me fly. But the closer you get to the airport it shows it in green which states you are authorized to fly. Go figure.

They probably tag on a few miles to keep you out, but I wouldn't test it......they may land it for you and not where you want/

Yes, sounds like they got their "cake" wrong! If you enter the inner 5 mile circle you should never be able to take off.

Oh, that makes a huge difference. If you go to the "Visualize it" site the FAA has been doing it shows that all of Barksdale AFB is a restricted UAS zone from the surface to 400 feet which eliminates all drone operation with the boundries of the AFB.

ArcGIS Web Application

Enter Barksdale in the search box and it comes up on the map as all restricted.

Oh, that makes a huge difference. If you go to the "Visualize it" site the FAA has been doing it shows that all of Barksdale AFB is a restricted UAS zone from the surface to 400 feet which eliminates all drone operation with the boundries of the AFB.

ArcGIS Web Application

Enter Barksdale in the search box and it comes up on the map as all restricted.

I do not leave in that restricted area you are talking about

There isn't a whole lot of space between the AFB and several airports in Shreveport area that have no fly zones down to the surface.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen