Flight to sea lions and oil rig 1.3 miles offshore

Happyflyer said:
MadMitch88,....."Well I do agree with your perception of a "Frankenstein controller" --- here's a pic of my transmitter and it does look like some sort of evil lab experiment:"
If I was one of the sharp gals on the beach and I saw that thing walking toward me, I'd run. :lol:

Dammit !! Chicks dig a dude who can tinker and make stuff. ;)

And here I thought it was a pretty nice attractant for the MILFs --- like flies to honey. :p

Actually with stage 2 I've hit a mile a few times, but not much further. With the right weather, I might make it. Will update if I try

Don't risk it. Just setup some sort of booster and then give it a shot. Don't want to see ya lose such a nice asset.

max said:
Actually with stage 2 I've hit a mile a few times, but not much further. With the right weather, I might make it. Will update if I try

I seem to get better range over ocean than I do land. Probably less interference. The P2 Vision transmitter has slightly less range than the P2 non-vision, but it's still worth a shot. No guts no glory and all that. Just turn around if you feel uncomfortable. If you lose video switch to Home Lock mode and bring 'er back (or flick the F/S switch). Just make SURE you established a home point b4 takeoff.

jflyer3 said:
max said:

I seem to get better range over ocean than I do land. Probably less interference. The P2 Vision transmitter has slightly less range than the P2 non-vision, but it's still worth a shot. No guts no glory and all that. Just turn around if you feel uncomfortable. If you lose video switch to Home Lock mode and bring 'er back (or flick the F/S switch). Just make SURE you established a home point b4 takeoff.

Thanks for the tips. I've flown beyond visual contact a lot, including over Newport bay and over ocean towards CDM from the end of the peninsula, so I'm not too nervous. I will just make sure there's very little wind, or that it's blowing onshore. I always confirm HL once airborne. And I've accepted that it may get lost on any of these flights :)

un hombre said:
smaugnaut said:
un hombre said:
Don't you ever rely on RTH!

Given enough wind, > 30 mph which may not be unusal over the sea, you may end up with loosing your bird! It does not have enough power in RTH mode to fly against this kind of wind

Well if you are dumb enough to fly in 30 mph winds maybe you shouldnt have a drone. RTH is a great feature and has never failed me once over 41 suicide missions.

Dumb enough? This quad can handle 40 mph gusts no problem, but not in rth mode. For me dumber is not knowing the limits of the tool you are using...
smaugnaut said:
un hombre said:
smaugnaut said:
un hombre said:
Don't you ever rely on RTH!

Given enough wind, > 30 mph which may not be unusal over the sea, you may end up with loosing your bird! It does not have enough power in RTH mode to fly against this kind of wind

Well if you are dumb enough to fly in 30 mph winds maybe you shouldnt have a drone. RTH is a great feature and has never failed me once over 41 suicide missions.

Dumb enough? This quad can handle 40 mph gusts no problem, but not in rth mode. For me dumber is not knowing the limits of the tool you are using...

Dude what are you talking about??? The phantom can only fly 35 mph tops without wind. If you take off in anything more than 15mph dont expect to get it back. I fly long distances and i know exactly what im talking about when it comes to wind and the tool im flying.

I've flown in about 25mph winds with consistent 50+mph gusts.

Although, I didn't take it far, it could handle hovering in it just fine.

You can see the Phantom fight the wind here. I'm not touching the controls at all till I announce that I am

DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus on a 25mph windy day wi…: http://youtu.be/8W-t4DdBQ8w

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl