Flight "Near" Government Infrastructure

Reaction score
Anyone know the rules (and please link from a reputable site to confirm) regarding flight around government infrastructure?

During my multiple talks with the local airport's manager today, he said most of the town I operate in is government infrastructure and cannot be flown near - specifically the Army Corps of Engineers channel/waterway opening into Lake Michigan, the Coast Guard Station, the County Jail, etc.

His feedback was also the only official definition of "near" he had seen was "near-miss" which was "1 mi or 1,000 feet" I'm guessing 1,000 feet altitude and 1 mi for manned aircraft at altitude?

Best thing to do is check a Terminal Area Chart. It will show what is off limits.

it is LEGAL to photograph government buildings from public areas. in at least the 5 court districts that have heard a case anyways. 5th circuit just ruled on it. None have ruled you can't. constitution's 1st amendment would be the "rule"
Once again you can photograph area 51. just fly above the mountain top blocking your view.

Anyone know the rules (and please link from a reputable site to confirm) regarding flight around government infrastructure?

During my multiple talks with the local airport's manager today, he said most of the town I operate in is government infrastructure and cannot be flown near - specifically the Army Corps of Engineers channel/waterway opening into Lake Michigan, the Coast Guard Station, the County Jail, etc.

His feedback was also the only official definition of "near" he had seen was "near-miss" which was "1 mi or 1,000 feet" I'm guessing 1,000 feet altitude and 1 mi for manned aircraft at altitude?
If it's not noted on the sectional (you can use this site to check out portions of the sectional around your local airport and town AirNav: Airport Information). And this one, for any TFRs Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's. The FAA's own webpage Airspace Restrictions, doesn't make any reference to restrictions around government facilities. There are some state laws about flying near 'critical infrastructure' http://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/drones-and-critical-infrastructure.aspx, but I would not be surprised if when those get challenged that they will be determined to infringe on the sole authority of the FAA over use of the NAS!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31