Flight battery charging

Is there other ways of charging the p3s battery besides using the factory charger. it seems to take forever to recharge.
Thanks Larry
No use corect charger,,,,they r bit slow just wait,,,have nother coffee:)

Cobblers .....

A LiPo charger such as the B6 Mini or Accucel 60W or 80W are totally suitable chargers. In fact any LiPo charger capable of charging HV LiPo is suitable.

What you need is a cable from eBay for about $3 ....

I regularly charge my DJI batterys with my Accucel 80W charger at 5A setting and it beats the DJI crap charger everytime WITHOUT exceeding max rate charge of the 'board'.

In fact using a LiPo charger adds a second factor ... if the battery boards fails - the charger will cutout unlike the DJI ...

There is a lot crap said about charging DJI .... I have shown many times how its not all its supposed to be and trust a LiPo charger more ...

Nigel

Cobblers .....

A LiPo charger such as the B6 Mini or Accucel 60W or 80W are totally suitable chargers. In fact any LiPo charger capable of charging HV LiPo is suitable.

What you need is a cable from eBay for about $3 ....

I regularly charge my DJI batterys with my Accucel 80W charger at 5A setting and it beats the DJI crap charger everytime WITHOUT exceeding max rate charge of the 'board'.

In fact using a LiPo charger adds a second factor ... if the battery boards fails - the charger will cutout unlike the DJI ...

There is a lot crap said about charging DJI .... I have shown many times how its not all its supposed to be and trust a LiPo charger more ...

Nigel
Two related questions. First, if your were to use a standard LiPo charger, which one (charger or the DJI battery) determines when it's fully charge, as now both would have this tech? Second, when using the normal DJI charger on a DJI battery, does it ever get to 4.35 volts per cell. Even when I do that top off trick, they still don't seem to be at 4.35 volts, more like 4.28?

I'm about to buy one of those car chargers. Has anyone got one ? Do they charge reasonably fast ? Are they safe ?

The termination of charge is still by the battery board.

The final voltage compared DJI to LiPo charger gives the LiPo charger a slight edge as it often shows 4.31 .... 4.32v instead of DJI ~4.29 ....

The safety factor of having both capable of terminating charge means even if the board develops a fault - the charger will detect and cutoff. I doubt the DJI brick will.

Nigel

Is there other ways of charging the p3s battery besides using the factory charger. it seems to take forever to recharge.
Thanks Larry
I considered it really quick............ couple of hours roughly though haven't measured it really accurately. Certainly, very quick comparing it to my cordless drills, hedgecutters, tablet etc. I find that with a spare battery you can get 45 minutes use after which I'm ready to head for home anyway. Even if you use a quicker alternative charger, unless you can use an inverter on a car, you're still need to head for home to plug it in.

I considered it really quick............ couple of hours roughly though haven't measured it really accurately. Certainly, very quick comparing it to my cordless drills, hedgecutters, tablet etc. I find that with a spare battery you can get 45 minutes use after which I'm ready to head for home anyway. Even if you use a quicker alternative charger, unless you can use an inverter on a car, you're still need to head for home to plug it in.

Actually not quite ...

My Accucel 80W or any other LiPo charger I have with HV LiPo function can be powered direct of the Car ciggy socket and charge DJI battery. No need for inverter at all.
Or use the car charger designed specifically for the job.

The charge rate of DJI battery should not be set at greater than 5A ideally ... that's just over 1C. With average storage of the battery at 30 - 50% ... that gives a charge time of anywhere from 30 to 50mins .... but the DJI charger of 57W supplied with Std will extend that to easily 1 hour or more due to low rate of around 3.5A ...
The Pro charger of 100W will bump it back to shorter times but the cost of that unit is higher than a LiPo charger and PSU that can do the job. Plus of course the DJI unit requires mains power or inverter.

As they say - there are more ways to skin a cat !!

Nigel

Actually not quite ...

My Accucel 80W or any other LiPo charger I have with HV LiPo function can be powered direct of the Car ciggy socket and charge DJI battery. No need for inverter at all.
Or use the car charger designed specifically for the job.

The charge rate of DJI battery should not be set at greater than 5A ideally ... that's just over 1C. With average storage of the battery at 30 - 50% ... that gives a charge time of anywhere from 30 to 50mins .... but the DJI charger of 57W supplied with Std will extend that to easily 1 hour or more due to low rate of around 3.5A ...
The Pro charger of 100W will bump it back to shorter times but the cost of that unit is higher than a LiPo charger and PSU that can do the job. Plus of course the DJI unit requires mains power or inverter.

As they say - there are more ways to skin a cat !!

Nigel
My DJI brick says 3.3 A on the back. So if I understand, that's about 1.2 A short of 1C for the DJI battery. No wonder it takes as long as it does. Why didn't they give us a 1C charger for the battery to begin with, isn't that the recommended amps for a lipo?

My DJI brick says 3.3 A on the back. So if I understand, that's about 1.2 A short of 1C for the DJI battery. No wonder it takes as long as it does. Why didn't they give us a 1C charger for the battery to begin with, isn't that the recommended amps for a lipo?

Price ..... such PSU's are cheap. But once you go up in Watts ... price escalates quite quickly.

Look at RTF models ... cheap chatty chargers that take all day. Price.

57W Standard brick is about $45 .... 100W Pro brick is about $70 ?

For that $45 - I can get a reasonable 80W LiPo charger and PSU to do the job and quicker. For $70 - I can get a really nice setup !!
Plus the advantage that I can charge all my other batterys of whatever form or use.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20