Flew my stock P4 3.66 miles!

Unless DJI has changed things in the latest Go app in auto mode it appears you are limited to only 8 channels. In manual mode you have 32 available.

But you are stuck on the one channel you select for the whole flight. Being in auto allows the app to jump those 8 channels as you fly to find the best possible channel as you fly away and constantly scanning and moving channels.

Reactions: martybabe
In the Go App Camera view click the HD icon (right of controller) & you will see the available channels. By default it is set to AUTO. Click manual & you can choose your channel. If you have the stock app you have 8 choices. Install the 32-channel mod & you have 32 from which to choose.

Where in the APP is auto mode please. Still waiting for my p4 so I can't browse. Great results by the way

In the Go App Camera view click the HD icon (right of controller) & you will see the available channels. By default it is set to AUTO. Click manual & you can choose your channel. If you have the stock app you have 8 choices. Install the 32-channel mod & you have 32 from which to choose.

But unless I misunderstand the way the channels are allocated, as Kman points out, if there is much spectrum use in the area, any advantage of being able to choose one from 32 channels is going to be more than offset by the disadvantage of the LB system not being able to switch to a less congested channel during flight. Agile use of any one from 8 will always be better than fixed use of just one from 32.

Reactions: Kman and maseman88
Not sure why you would choose anything other than auto....

That's interesting trivia. Bigger than Wahweap, Lake Powell? They must moor over a thousand houseboats there.

I was thinking this as well... I have a hard time believing it's the biggest one.

That's interesting trivia. Bigger than Wahweap, Lake Powell? They must moor over a thousand houseboats there.

Looks like I may be wrong. I gave them a call and it looks like with the lower water levels they have got rid of some of them.

Still one of the largest in the US though.

Kman, I'm encouraged with your report. My flights this week was in a rural area using a windsurfer, only got 5800' with my P4 before video started to drop out. Then yesterday, same launch site, same route, same channel #20 (no wifi traffic at all on #20 both days), same windsurfer, I went 12,200 with my P3P, no video loss or bar loss either, turned about due to slight down-wind situation. Did you do 19,000' with a stock antenna on your P4 transmitter setup? No windsurfer? When you were -1 bar, did you ever lose video in the screen? When you turned around, any video loss then?

Reactions: maseman88
You are so lucky to live in an area like that. Lot's of guts to fly over water. I do it too, but not till I've been flying a few weeks and feel good about my Phantom. Have lost one in a lake though. Got it back

Reactions: Kman and maseman88
But unless I misunderstand the way the channels are allocated, as Kman points out, if there is much spectrum use in the area, any advantage of being able to choose one from 32 channels is going to be more than offset by the disadvantage of the LB system not being able to switch to a less congested channel during flight. Agile use of any one from 8 will always be better than fixed use of just one from 32.

My point exactly. Say you take off in manual mode on channel 32 because it has low interference, as soon as you fly 5k away there could be major congestion on channel 32. Manual mode you're stuck on that channel.

In auto mode say you take off on channel 8 and fly 5k away and the channel gets congested the app will switch to a better channel that is less congested.

A lot of people are confused by the 32 channel hack, manual mode, and auto mode. I've always argued the 32 channel hack is pointless if you can't automatically change channels. Auto mode scanning and selecting 8 channels automatically as you fly will always be superior to manual mode or 32 channel hack?

Kman, I'm encouraged with your report. My flights this week was in a rural area using a windsurfer, only got 5800' with my P4 before video started to drop out. Then yesterday, same launch site, same route, same channel #20 (no wifi traffic at all on #20 both days), same windsurfer, I went 12,200 with my P3P, no video loss or bar loss either, turned about due to slight down-wind situation. Did you do 19,000' with a stock antenna on your P4 transmitter setup? No windsurfer? When you were -1 bar, did you ever lose video in the screen? When you turned around, any video loss then?

I do own a windsurfer but I did not use it on this flight. I've actually never used it yet on my P4. If you look at my first post you can see me holding the P4 with a stock controller running an iPad Air 2. This pic was taken directly after my flight.

I never lost video nor did it freeze. When I turned around and headed back I did get low transmitter warning (hd downlink was minus -2 for a split second, controller was full scale). I could have pushed it further as I landed with 30% battery but I was over open water and didn't want to push it.

Try running auto mode. I bet you see better flight distance. Please do and report back.

You are so lucky to live in an area like that. Lot's of guts to fly over water. I do it too, but not till I've been flying a few weeks and feel good about my Phantom. Have lost one in a lake though. Got it back

Thanks for your post. This is my parents lake house and I'm on my way back to OC and then SF. I think I could break 20k distance if I had more time at the lake.

I used to be nervous when I first got my P3P. Would never fly out more than 100 feet. Over time I have gained a lot of confidence with the Phantoms and DJI. They build an amazing product.

I figure if I'm flying at 175 feet and the P4 crashes to the ground it will be a total loss. Crash over water and and it's a total loss also. Haha. ;)

I'm curious, did anyone see an improvement after updating with the new 1.5.8 RC firmware? Or are all of these improved flight records just magically happening with stock setups? I'll try auto, but it's always worked best in the past to manually select a silent channel.

I'm curious, did anyone see an improvement after updating with the new 1.5.8 RC firmware? Or are all of these improved flight records just magically happening with stock setups? I'll try auto, but it's always worked best to manually select a silent channel.

I updated the controller, P4, and batteries when I took it out of the box.

Fly in auto and report back.

Wow Kman, your P4 must be a gold sample. Better hang onto it for as long as possible :D

Just a couple of questions, what speed were you flying out, at 50% throttle, 75% throttle or max velocity? And what battery capacity still remaining when it returned home?

Wow Kman, your P4 must be a gold sample. Better hang onto it for as long as possible :D

Just a couple of questions, what speed were you flying out, at 50% throttle, 75% throttle or max velocity? And what battery capacity still remaining when it returned home?

Reading the posts helps a lot haha... he had 30 percent left and was not at full throttle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4