Flew away! Strange circumstances this time

The last comment was simply meant as this. I have been praising dji since the P3 was released.Sold my Q500 Typhoon because of it. If DJI offers me no help at all I will smear them on every public forum available at my disposal. As of now I am still praising them. I called twice and both times they answered the phone immediately. My friends brand new Chroma flew away on his second flight. He is also very experianced and has 2 Q500's, 2 phantom 3's and various other quads. He has been trying for a couple days to get in touch with Horizon hobby with no luck at all.

I feel terrible for you as well. You aren't crazy either. I had the same exact thing happen to my p2v+ last year but luckily we regained control and flew it back, still to this day I have no answer as to why.

If it helps your feelings any I lost my second p3p yesterday, this time to a sudden in-flight compass error which resulted in another really bent up bird. This is 2 for me in a month! I am done and will not fly again until this new DJI experiment is over.

App cross-contamination...classic. Sounds like a cop-out. He stated the RC wasn't even linked with a red light before the fly away...how can any app be involved.

The concern is that the 3rd party application may have sent some kind of instructions into the phantom which it then stored and auto ran on the next power cycle. That's a simplified explanation but something that's not beyond the realm of possibility. Especially considering the auto take off built in capability the Phantom already has. It's not a stretch to think additional information could not be included either on purpose or on mistake.

I feel terrible for you as well. You aren't crazy either. I had the same exact thing happen to my p2v+ last year but luckily we regained control and flew it back, still to this day I have no answer as to why.

If it helps your feelings any I lost my second p3p yesterday, this time to a sudden in-flight compass error which resulted in another really bent up bird. This is 2 for me in a month! I am done and will not fly again until this new DJI experiment is over.

I know everybody either thinks I am lying or crazy. I have the 2 year square trade accidental damage warranty on this one. Had I crashed it they would have covered it no questions asked. So its not like I am trying to get dji to replace it due to a crash on my part.

Man I am sorry to hear of your bad luck. That really sucks!

I know everybody either thinks I am lying or crazy.

I do not :D

I do think you are a little crazy or you would not be here with the rest of us !

I just doubt DJI is going to do anything. If they did they would have to do it for everyone. Their support sucks and this is something we have to accept when we buy it. If you want better support then you might want a 3DR Solo which has crappy range and lots of broken promises for delivery dates. Take your pick.

I TRULY hope this works out for you but you just cant have high expectations in this area with DJI.

On the bright side I have watched your videos and you have put a LOT of miles on the Phantoms with no tracker. You have been pushing the envelope in every possible way since the beginning.

Maybe warming the tires up on the Camaro would help !

Keep us posted.

I do not :D

I do think you are a little crazy or you would not be here with the rest of us !

I just doubt DJI is going to do anything. If they did they would have to do it for everyone. Their support sucks and this is something we have to accept when we buy it. If you want better support then you might want a 3DR Solo which has crappy range and lots of broken promises for delivery dates. Take your pick.

I TRULY hope this works out for you but you just cant have high expectations in this area with DJI.

On the bright side I have watched your videos and you have put a LOT of miles on the Phantoms with no tracker. You have been pushing the envelope in every possible way since the beginning.

Maybe warming the tires up on the Camaro would help !

Keep us posted.

They better do something or they will get a letter from our attorney (wifes best friend). Would be cheaper for them to replace it or even offer a big discount then to go into litigation.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Amazing story. Drone arms itself, goes full thrust and with direction and never connects to the app/remote. That's a pretty crazy sequence of failures. I don't see DJI coming to the party because that would set a precedent/loophole for anyone to claim for a replacement unit.

Good luck either way.

Reactions: witold
Luckily I too bought the 1 year replacement from Drone World and I will let you know how the process goes. I've still not sent the first P3P back to DJI for replacement but I have received all of the documentation to return it. I would advise you to start with the live chat, if no luck call the service center in the states.

"I frantically tried to open and get the app connected while trying to get it to respond to the controls but the app also would not connect" First Post
"Remote was on and app were open." Later Post
"If DJI wont do anything I will be DJI's worst nightmare." First Post
"They better do something or they will get a letter from our attorney (wifes best friend). Would be cheaper for them to replace it or even offer a big discount then to go into litigation." Last Post
(DJI's Lawyers would bury you in litigation ) EDIT You mite try small claims court.?

I don't know how you would prove your case at all unless you retrieve the bird. I think your lawyer would say something on the same line. I could easily say something similar happened to mine.
I just don't see why DJI should replace this on your word only without proof, you say your flight logs are not correct for some reason.

I wish you luck , but trashing DJI is a bit extreme with what you have. But everyone has ways to complain.

Reactions: witold
"I frantically tried to open and get the app connected while trying to get it to respond to the controls but the app also would not connect" First Post
"Remote was on and app were open." Later Post
"If DJI wont do anything I will be DJI's worst nightmare." First Post
"They better do something or they will get a letter from our attorney (wifes best friend). Would be cheaper for them to replace it or even offer a big discount then to go into litigation." Last Post
(DJI's Lawyers would bury you in litigation ) EDIT You mite try small claims court.?

I don't know how you would prove your case at all unless you retrieve the bird. I think your lawyer would say something on the same line. I could easily say something similar happened to mine.
I just don't see why DJI should replace this on your word only without proof, you say your flight logs are not correct for some reason.

I wish you luck , but trashing DJI is a bit extreme with what you have. But everyone has ways to complain.

Yes the app was open but would not connect and i can only assume because the remote would not connect. In this circumstance how is one to prove anything if nothing was recorded? And why would I be pushing DJI when I clearly have accidental damage coverage? It was a frantic couple of seconds so my recount of it is blurry but none the less she flew away upon startup with no control what so ever and the app would not connect so nothing was recorded. That is the gist of it.

I'm playing devil's advocate here and don't doubt the fact that you've lost your quad nor that you have the warranty.

However, some other losers can easily sell their quad on Ebay/craigslist and ask DJI for a replacement. DJI may end up offering you a discount/replacement based on the fact that you've been a really good ambassador for them with regards to your videos and post and long distance flight- however, I doubt they would/could replace everyone quad that vanished without a trace or a log.

They better do something or they will get a letter from our attorney (wifes best friend). Would be cheaper for them to replace it or even offer a big discount then to go into litigation.

There is no leg to stand on if you just say it flew off. No flight log no video no evidence of anything. For all anyone knows you could just stash the phantom away somewhere and are crying wolf to get a free phantom or discount.

With that said you can not fault DJI or any company for not being willing to accommodate someone who may be out to scam them. 3DR won't do that either, if your 3DR solo flys off and you have the flight logs to show it that's one thing. You can't just say something vanished with absolutely zero proof or zero evidence of anything and be peed off if they ignore your claim. Same thing with DJI, no evidence of anything happening, you have no claim and little recourse. If you're lucky they may offer a small discount on a replacement.

Last edited:
@prostreetcamaro

None of this makes any sense-- attorney friend or not-- litigation costs big money and there is not enough here to stress out over. Calm intelligent conversation about the issue and a working dialogue with DJI would work far better than threats. It may take a while, but in the long run, you will be further ahead. If you try to litigate something like this and pick a legal fight with a big corporation it will take a very long time, and it could cost you far more then that lost Phantom. There are no winners in litigation, except for the attorney's arguing it. IMHO you should turn in the insurance claim, file a warranty request with DJI and relax. Life is too short for all this grief over an RC aircraft.

Reactions: blade strike
Very good advice bobmyers. @prostreetcamaro it will get better. Hopefully you will be able to locate it, if not, MAYBE DJI will work something out with you.

I'm a bit confused. You have an invoice from 29th July for this new P3, yet you have flights records for the same craft going back to 16th June?? :confused:

Good point, I understand he has two P3P's from past posts that is what he said... Not going to fly his other one now. He must have been putting up the wrong flight log on this site by mistake and the RC-Groups forum as well... Can you put up the correct flight Logs you should have those on the RC and cloud I bet.? Or can the flight logs get mixed with two totally different setups?

It Mite be possible you have two accounts like I do, Some of my flight logs are on one and then some are on the other, I made two accounts at some point., If that's the Case we can get some real work done on what happened with the current situation that occurred. Fingers crossed you have them...

Last edited:
The concern is that the 3rd party application may have sent some kind of instructions into the phantom which it then stored and auto ran on the next power cycle. That's a simplified explanation but something that's not beyond the realm of possibility. Especially considering the auto take off built in capability the Phantom already has. It's not a stretch to think additional information could not be included either on purpose or on mistake.

Well if it's possible that flight commands survive a power cycle of the P3 it's something DJI needs to fix asap, not the app developers.
One would expect an power on initialization to reset the P3 to a known good state...not start acting on previous commands...that's just downright dangerous.

I still highly doubt it's the case though.

Well if it's possible that flight commands survive a power cycle of the P3 it's something DJI needs to fix asap, not the app developers.
One would expect an power on initialization to reset the P3 to a known good state...not start acting on previous commands...that's just downright dangerous.

I still highly doubt it's the case though.

I agree it's a stretch that that is what may have happened but if his story is true then there may be something to it. To be honest tho I have a hard time believing the Phantom was powered on and just auto took away randomly like that with no input of any kind. And I don't think outside interference could cause that to happen either. So if it really did happen it must have been sone latent command in the firmware that initiated an auto take off. It's anones guess what really happened especially without logs or proof of any kind so it's all speculation at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.