First Surveying Assignment - Suggestion Needed

Reaction score
We're a surveying company doing traditional survey for little over 8 years now. We got our hands on Phantom 4 Pro and have just got a client who is ok with us trying it out. If it doesn't work out we'll do traditional survey.

We have only flown the drone for recreational purpose so far.

The area needed to be surveyed is about 4 acre and there are a few buildings on the site. I am planning to fly with the Pix4d capture app and later use Pix4d to process the data.Is that the best way to go?

They'll need a 2d map of the whole area and contour map. Does pix4d give me the 2d map that I'd get with Autocad ? If not, how can I get it?

Yes, the Pix4D will give you a 2D map. It's pretty easy to use and you'll see it in the options when you process the images. Most of the mapping software will do this, with some being better than others. If you're using GCP, Pix4D is a great way to go.

Thanks. What altitude should I fly the drone for 4 acre of area with building 50 feet high?

What resolution are you looking for? The lower the flight the better your detail. I shoot a 16 acre construction site weekly and usually shoot at 150, as it gives me 0.5 inches per pixel.

Reactions: chopperguy
depends on trees and topography. usually i fly at 80m, which are approx. 240feet. 4 acre is really nothing. Fly slowly, about 3m/s and make the pictures every 2seconds or 3 seconds. I prefer more pics, and have some in spare for photogrammetry.

Martin

240 feet will give you 2,3cm/pix. Enough for most jobs.
Not enough for baywatch models

Reactions: BigAl07
Another question, can I take picture and video at the same time? Or should I fly twice if I need both?

I have used several processing applications, but landed on Pix4D Capture and Pix4D Mapper.

Since the site is relatively small, I suggest flying it with P4DCapture, using a Grid mission. Fly it in Safe Mode, at Slow+ speed. This will stop the a/c at each photo. On the P4P, make sure you set the focus to Manual, and infinity before starting the mission. You might also consider following the Grid mission, with an orbital mission, with oblique camera angles to create a better 3D model. I have also had good results with Double Grid missions. The site is small enough, where you should be able to fly several type missions and experiment until you get the results that you want.

Ditto on doktorinjh recommendations on using video. Fly a separate mission to do your video.

You mentioned that you have "flown the drone for recreational purpose so far". Keep in mind that if you are in the US, to do this commercially as intend, you will need to be Part 107 certified.

Reactions: BigAl07
The site is small enough, where you should be able to fly several type missions and experiment until you get the results that you want.
This is a good point. If you plan on performing more of these surveys, you need to get out there and run through a bunch of flight types and mission parameters so that you know what works and what doesn't. Everyone has their own "special sauce" and the most successful mappers are the ones that have tried and failed multiple times. We work with national companies that have been doing this for years and still produce utterly useless crap because they rely on automated flights and software processing. Be sure to get lots of check shots so that you can verify your survey; just because the program spits out a surface, doesn't mean that it's accurate.

Reactions: vgo195 and BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers