First Flight!

Reaction score
New flyer, first flight! I took my P3P up to the ball fields this afternoon. Not a soul around. I managed to do everything right and lifted off with no problems. Went up to 50ft, back down to 10ft, a couple of spins and side to sides. I repeated this for maybe 10 minutes, then landed oh so softly on the asphalt! That was enough for my first attempt!! One word............... exhilarating!!! It was as much fun as my first few weeks with my cameras! Probably MORE! Yeah, I'm hooked! And I can say that I gleaned SO much information from these forums before ever receiving it! Thanks to all of you for sharing your pointers, tips and data!

Well here's something we can agree on! It's an absolutely exhilarating ride! :D

Reactions: snerd
New flyer, first flight! I took my P3P up to the ball fields this afternoon. Not a soul around. I managed to do everything right and lifted off with no problems. Went up to 50ft, back down to 10ft, a couple of spins and side to sides. I repeated this for maybe 10 minutes, then landed oh so softly on the asphalt! That was enough for my first attempt!! One word............... exhilarating!!! It was as much fun as my first few weeks with my cameras! Probably MORE! Yeah, I'm hooked! And I can say that I gleaned SO much information from these forums before ever receiving it! Thanks to all of you for sharing your pointers, tips and data!
I'm just like you! Here I am waiting for my first drone to ship and just browsing everything there is to know about it.

Reactions: snerd
Well here's something we can agree on! It's an absolutely exhilarating ride! :D
And I'll jump at the chance to agree with you on something too! Thanks! We've had flooding down here, lots of places are not accessible, and the skeeters darn near ate me alive........... but I got my first flight in in spite of it all! Actually forgot all of the bad news for about 15 minutes!

That's great - congratulations! I did my first P3 flight the other day - very fun. I've flown with P2s a lot and it isn't all that different. Did you get any video? Here's some from my first flight:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- I should've been shooting in 4k - it is quite a bit better. But even 1080 looks good compared to the P2V+.

Im just waiting on a Nvidia Shield to turn up then Ill be making my maiden.

One thing I like, and ive only been playing with the app, is if you slide you finger up/down the screen the camera will follow.

That's great - congratulations! I did my first P3 flight the other day - very fun. I've flown with P2s a lot and it isn't all that different. Did you get any video? Here's some from my first flight:
- I should've been shooting in 4k - it is quite a bit better. But even 1080 looks good compared to the P2V+.

Where are you getting the data for the data overlay? It looks like you've used Dashware and I used to use this to overlay the data from a flytrex core2 on my Hex. Have you added some sort of data logger or can you pull the data from the internal SD for this? If so are there any guides anywhere?

Reactions: Michael Olsen
Yeah, on the camera moving up and down using the app..................... I'll be using that a LOT, as the gimbal wheel on my remote control is not working very well. The up is okay, but trying to point down there is a jiggle needed to make it work. Then it just hangs, I have to roll it back and forth a little bit to find the right spot. Of course, this all shows on the video........ jerky little segments. Sigh........................ I sure don't want to be without it for 2 months since I just got it! But I'm going to have to send it in for repair eventually.

I am surprised how much more power and how much more accurate the P3 is compared to the P2... I just took my first couple of flights yesterday and today

Reactions: Advexure
Re overlay found another post from nhoover
I looked at these also when I got my P3 (simple to just connect by USB and download to computer). Thanks for providing the little excerpt of decoded data.

I found that the .txt files the stored on the mobile device (DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord on Android) are quite useful. If you run them through the converter at http://flylitchi.com/logs, the .csv output can be used directly in Dashware (via the Flytrex profile) to do telemetry overlays on your video. Example:

I am more interested in the telemetry data but I suppose if you are developing an app you would very much like to be able to decode the .DAT files. They look very low-level and detailed.

Not sure how/if you can access these .txt files on an IOS device though?

On the overlay question. I noticed my p3p records with "subtitles" as my osd. So when playing the file back on a tablet or pc if I turn subtitles on. It pops up with hs, vs and coordinates. Pretty neat feature.

On the overlay question. I noticed my p3p records with "subtitles" as my osd. So when playing the file back on a tablet or pc if I turn subtitles on. It pops up with hs, vs and coordinates. Pretty neat feature.

I assume you mean the file that is recorded on the tablet (the map) rather than a video recorded to the SD on the camera? Any chance you can post a screen shots?

Hi Chris

at 5:07 of this video here by DJI
it's called video captions

I assume you mean the file that is recorded on the tablet (the map) rather than a video recorded to the SD on the camera? Any chance you can post a screen shots?

No the actual video file on SD has subtitles that display limited flight info. You turn them on and off just as you would language subs on a dvd. Yeah I guess it's the "captions" setting?

Oh! I didn't see the question about video above. No, I did not ever hit the record button. I bought this for my photography hobby, so I really need to learn to fly it first, and get comfortable with it, before I even think about video and stills. I have a Canon 5D3 and a 7D, and I'm hoping to do good things with the stills on this thing, and to also get into video for the first time. But learning to fly it first is my top priority.

2nd flight done! I'm doing the "conditioning" on the battery........... Run it down to 50-60% then recharge, 10 times doing this. What I read, anyway. Also brought along the new power inverter........ working like a champ!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433110205.800555.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433110218.048143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Safe and happy flying! Enjoy the exhilaration! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic