First flight impressions with FPV

Reaction score
Got everything soldered, installed internally (except VTx) and working using the following stuff:

5.8GHz 32CH A/V 500mW Transmitter (TS58500)
Lumenier GoPro - Live Video Out + Charge (Right Angle Connector)
IBCrazy 5.8GHz BluBeam Whip Antenna (Set)
IBCrazy 5.8GHz 7.5dbic Helical Goggle Mount
8" Lumenier LCD FPV Monitor with 5.8GHz 32CH Diversity Receiver
Lumenier 2250mAh 3s 35c Lipo Battery

Shot ProTunes 2.7k med. (3+ Black) for the first time and I'm not impressed. Too much noise (although there is a LOT of detail in trees). I'm wondering if using ProTunes at 1080 would result in less noise (more bits per pixel?). Couldn't find a chart outlining the bitrates of different GoPro modes/resolutions.

This monitor is crap (or is it the iOSD making it soooo soft?). Barely usable, IMHO. No detail and blooms terribly at high brightness levels and the remote is now way heavy with the monitor attached.

Very glitchy reception from the VTx, even in close proximity.

Probably just need to get used to it, but FPV was distracting and I was constantly torn between flying LOS and FPV. I was much too twitchy with the controls while looking at the monitor which ruined some perfectly good shots. Maybe best to use FPV for lining up the shot and then LOS Course-Lock for movement? Didn't help that I had no particular shooting objective in mind. Really just a shake-down flight.

For the first time I had awful jello, but only when moving forward (even slowly) and looking straight ahead (overcast day). Didn't have this issue before installing FPV, but could have been winds aloft were stronger than before. Maybe time to get a prop balancer.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe my expectations were too high or my FPV system is inferior. I'll try again tomorrow with ProTune at 1080 and see if the noise and jello settle down.

Interesting, I have the original version of that monitor with no receiver built in and I really like it. I had no idea they'd released one with an internal diversity Rx now, I may have to try it.

Have you checked to make sure the Tx and monitor are set to the same exact channel?

Some of the "glitchiness" you experienced in the signal may be due to that, or even just the normal (high) sensitivity of 5.8GHz to anything at all blocking or impeding the line of sight and Fresnel zone (clear space between Tx/Rx)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers