First flight , and thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Short time lurker, first time poster.

Hi Guys and Gals, first off, Thanks to DJI for such a neat little device, and a special thanks to all the posters on this forum for their wealth of knowledge on the Vision and its systems. I'm new to aerial RC craft, or, UAV's, so this forum has been invaluable reading in preparation for my purchase of the DJI Vision.
I am retired aircraft technician, so flight principles and nuts and bolts are not foreign to me, and am literate with building PC Systems which has also been helpful.
Although 4 propeller, 6 axis flight is still a bit of a mystery to me, I certainly intend to learn it all, along with photography and videography for a potential Real Estate photography venture, should they become legal to do so in the near future.

I watched all of Colin Guinn's videos, which initially is what sparked my interest in the Phantom, and several more from many authors and posters across the internet as well. I was impressed with the relative ease these craft seem to fly with. I was immediately sold on the idea of owning one, but knew, that "I" was not ready,... even if the aircraft COULD fly, right out of the box. So that began my quest, studying the difference between the toy heli's and quads versus the more hobby grade (RTF/BNF) and onto the serious enthusiast grade like the S800/S1000 with onboard stabilized HD video...all of it , very awesome to watch.

That lead me to watch tons more videos from DJI Phantom Video competition, to the cutting edge FPV systems that people were flying from their back yards. I was impressed to say the least. My first purchase was a Blade Nano QX to learn the controls, I began that 1 week after Christmas, so, I'm still not a great pilot, but I'm getting there.

I received my Vision yesterday and armed with the pre-viewed knowledge from the pros here and RC Forums was able to assemble, update all software and firmware revisions, do the basic check out,enable IOC (Naza m mode), check compass and mod settings everything went like clockwork. I was ready for my first flight !

Took my new Vision out to a local field , put the props on, Turned on RE, Tx logged into the network, set up the app, warmed it up, got 9 satelites, did a compass calibration....and swoosh, off she went to about 20 feet and hovered ! BEAUTIFUL! Everything went textbook perfect.
A great first flight. went to about 200 feet up and out, took a good look around. Performed RTH, Course Lock and Home Lock functions...everything was simply amazing. So Thank You 'all', for my first successful fight !
However, I did have one minor hitch...I made the mistake of forgetting to turn off the Camera recording before shutting down the Vision (learned about that here too) and sadly could not recover the file after moving it from the micro SD Card to my PC. Oh well... live and learn.

Nonetheless...A huge.."Thank You" to all who have contributed to these Vision/Phantom threads it has been a remarkable experience, and without your help, I seriously doubt that I would have gotten it in the air only a few hours after receiving it with the overwhelmingly enjoyable success that I have had.

RCRookie

Nice write up! Welcome to the club.

Regarding the "corrupted" file that wasn't finalized... put the SD card with it on back in the Vision, turn the aircraft on (can be indoors, props off) and wait for 30 seconds or more, switch off. The camera will, if it's possible, finalize the corrupt file and enable it to be read again (minus the last several seconds).

Hope that helps!

Thanks Pull Up...You've been an inspiration (and others) to do this without a safety net...Ironically, I fell into the channel lurking right after Christmas just in time for the Rotorpixel secret list thread hehe, ....I was rolling. It was hilarious...so funny in fact I ordered one, even before I had my Vision ..is that dumb of me ?..lol...time will tell.

Thanks for the welcome and i'll be in and out with questions I'm sure. BTW, I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford, with the F-111's back in the 80's and I really miss the pubs and the beer :p

Also, 1 question on the rotorpixel gimbal...Will accessing a power source for say... a "led light" be easier since the gimbal board is accessible. or is there an existing power source somewhere? I want a headlight, and the smart battery precludes any access.

Here is my first EVER, Youtube post of anything...much less a DJI Vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVzj5fE ... e=youtu.be

RCRookie said:
Thanks for the welcome and i'll be in and out with questions I'm sure. BTW, I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford, with the F-111's back in the 80's and I really miss the pubs and the beer :p

I remember going in to a pub right at the end of the runway of Upper Heyford in the early 80s. I remember there was a cartoon in the pub behind the bar which showed F111s being air refuelled by an RAF tanker aircraft and it had a conveyor belt from the RAF aircraft with lumps of coal going into the F111s :D :D

Mossie said:
RCRookie said:

I remember going in to a pub right at the end of the runway of Upper Heyford in the early 80s. I remember there was a cartoon in the pub behind the bar which showed F111s being air refuelled by an RAF tanker aircraft and it had a conveyor belt from the RAF aircraft with lumps of coal going into the F111s :D :D

Yeah...knew it well...The 3 Horseshoes, knew the gaffer as well. Lol..I had that poster...It was a classic.
http://www.raf-upper-heyford.org/Artwor ... Refuel.jpg

And there was this guy: "Sleep tight tonight "Heyford's on alert!"....lol
http://www.raf-upper-heyford.org/Grins.html

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj