First Drone Flight

Reaction score
Today I finally launched my Phantom 4 Pro+. I watched the DJI videos and felt confident enough to do a simple flight.

This was the first time I ever flew a drone. I set it in beginner mode and went up to about 60 feet, moved it around a little and landed, and then repeated the mission. I wanted to take some still photos, but I couldn't figure out how to do that from the screen, so I'm going to have to resort to reading the manual.

It was a little louder than I expected. It was also a little scary seeing my drone way up there. I wonder what it will be like when it's pushing 400 feet.

I was amazed at how stable it was. Though I don't yet know how to control the camera movements, I was able to see an image of my house from the camera and it was rock solid, almost as if the camera were on a tripod.

I'm going to need to do a lot more flying with it to build up some confidence. I don't like seeing it in the air for much more than a minute or two. It's hard for me to believe it will just stay up there.

With experience will come confidence. Take it nice and slow and before you try something out of the ordinary, be sure and double check the manual (and here) before you attempt it.

Understand the RTH function from top to bottom and it should save you some problems on down the road.

For now just keep it in sight and get used to the flying environment.

I can guarantee you that the first time you "test" the RTH function in a safe area, you will have half a heart attack watching it do its thing until you become convinced that it works like it should!

AD

Hi, at 400 feet you cannot see or hear the drone. Just trust RTH. Try taking off in a remote safe spot, hover at 10feet for about 30 secs to warm up and climb to 400 feet.rotate and look around then move forward about 100 feet then press return to home. It is impressive. Dont fotget

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I was the same way. Just keep flying safe and within your comfort zone. Your confidence in yourself and the drone will increase with practice. Each new milestone and boundary you push have the same stress level until you get more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

make sure you set the rth height high enough to clear any trees or building that might get in your way.
I think it is set for 30 meters.
that might not be high enough in some cases,
welcome to the world of drones.
did you regester your drone with the fcc?

Hi, at 400 feet you cannot see or hear the drone. Just trust RTH. Try taking off in a remote safe spot, hover at 10feet for about 30 secs to warm up and climb to 400 feet.rotate and look around then move forward about 100 feet then press return to home. It is impressive. Dont fotget

Last Sunday the wind conditions must have been just right because I could hear my P4P from more than half a mile away and 350 feet elevation. At other times you may find it difficult to hear it at more than an couple hundred yards.

Brian

It is correct that DJI say only calibrate compass once or when instructed. I am old school however and have a pilots licence for fixed wing. The calibration only takes seconds and is part of my flight checks. It is not necessary but my view is that we are flying potentially dangerous machines and I err on the side of caution.

Reactions: WebheadFred
It is correct that DJI say only calibrate compass once or when instructed. I am old school however and have a pilots licence for fixed wing. The calibration only takes seconds and is part of my flight checks. It is not necessary but my view is that we are flying potentially dangerous machines and I err on the side of caution.

Except that calibrating the compass every time you fly introduces unnecessary risk. All it takes is one bad compass calibration and you get a crashed drone. It's happened to people on this very forum, calibrating when there was unseen interference and wham.

Reactions: Bigdz

I also used to calibrate almost before every flight if I launched a few miles away from last launch point too. But now I rarely do it unless I am a lot of miles from last launch point. But I'm not sure what being an old schooler or a fixed wing pilot has to do with compass calibration on a Phantom drone. LOL. ribbing ya man!

Reactions: gaz1969uk
Hi Kev. Old habits die hard. I check the PH 4 before every flight. That is only me. I wrap my baby in cotton wool!!!!!

Totally hear that Les! I am a lot the same way man. I live by routine myself. And if it not's broke don't fix it. LOL Happy flying and Merry Christmas!!

The consensus here in the forum is that it's safer to not calibrate every time. Doing so increases the possibility of a bad calibration from being around hidden magnetic anomalies, unbeknownst to you. The drone doesn't know if you have choose a bad area that has something magnetic buried nearby, it just accepts it as valid.

If you know you have a good calibration in an open field that has demonstrated to fly good, the odds are better to leave it alone if you are flying within 50mi of the last calibration. I tend to go along with this theory. It may worth considering abandoning the calibration habit, unless you just insist on "doing the dance". :D

Starting with P4, then Mavic and P4P, along with Inspire 2, these newer DJI craft have two compasses. Although I used to have a compass error about once every 2 or 3 months with the P3P, in the last 9mos I have yet to have a compass error with my P4 with dual compass. I think the dual compass H/W has eliminated the compass error problem, unless someone else can testify differently.

Reactions: F3honda4me
I live 105 miles from my son. If I want to fly in both locations should I recalibrate each time?

I'm thinking yes Les. But hopefully others will chime in on this. I think you would be fine not doing it. But I think it helps the accuracy of GPS some maybe. I always do when my next flight is more than 20 miles or so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West