First crash, a real trooper

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I crashed my phantom 3 pro against a tree and it landed upside down. Luckily the propellers and the anti-drop kit were the only things I need to replace. First thing I learned and hopefully helps you: switch from GPS to ATTI mode when there are no obstructions (like an open field) because when I changed modes I came in to land but it was too fast and I couldn't stop in time. Flying in ATTI is really different and make sure to get a good "feel" of ATTI before flying it in a new environment. The second thing I learned was to always have a little rubber "skin" on your drone (pics below) because that took most of the dirt and my drone still looks clean. I hope this helps!
5466e1cfa6fabcc29744026e7cf56d9b.jpg

c6a0caccf5caba6369666131e21a0d20.jpg

Hey guys, first post here. I crashed my phantom 3 pro against a tree and it landed upside down. Luckily the propellers and the anti-drop kit were the only things I need to replace. First thing I learned and hopefully helps you: switch from GPS to ATTI mode when there are no obstructions (like an open field) because when I changed modes I came in to land but it was too fast and I couldn't stop in time. Flying in ATTI is really different and make sure to get a good "feel" of ATTI before flying it in a new environment. The second thing I learned was to always have a little rubber "skin" on your drone (pics below) because that took most of the dirt and my drone still looks clean. I hope this helps!
5466e1cfa6fabcc29744026e7cf56d9b.jpg

c6a0caccf5caba6369666131e21a0d20.jpg
8734a623ba2621cc0496c56a8101f0ce.jpg

I always keep mine protected with a red silicone skin and the motors too.

Yea, I had to learn the hard way about atti mode also. I think that is one of the things that needs to be emphasized to neebees.
Everyone needs to "gently" learn how to fly in ATTI, to learn how to fly in cases of a loss of compass. But it's not something you can just jump into because, as the OP found out, bringing-home the AC in ATTI is completely different GPS, as you're flying without the "braking" that GPS gives.

Reactions: ironwolfjt
That skin must weigh a fair bit, it will probably affect flight times. Why not just avoid crashing and there's no need for a skin?
In a perfect world no one would crash, 98% of the people flying drones have probably had 1 or 2 hiccups, the other 2% give it time,

That skin must weigh a fair bit, it will probably affect flight times. Why not just avoid crashing and there's no need for a skin?
The skin don't weight anything at all, it is just a silicone. Does not add anything that affect flight time.

Reactions: DrDoom

I didn't buy it to prevent a crash or anything like that. I bought it to keep my drone clean and I don't have any intention of crashing my drone again lol

Atti mode will drift from wind, it will not brake when you stop moving and doesn't hold in place. Everyone should be practicing atti mode a lot to be a proficient pilot.

So I learned something here. I'm always hesitant to think that I am anywhere close to proficient and I guess ATTI mode in an open space is a great place to spend time. I don't have a ton of logged flight time but that's what I'll go do next to build my confidence. So thank you for the threads. And my DJI goggles just arrived. Sad to see that on the Phantom 4 (base) not all features are supported. Somehow in my research I missed that. But the upside is a Mavic pro might be in the cards for me. Unless there's something better coming soon???

I have been flying my P4 for 3 months... no crashes :)... oh no, now that I said that out loud :( Maybe it is time for a skin

So I learned something here. I'm always hesitant to think that I am anywhere close to proficient and I guess ATTI mode in an open space is a great place to spend time. I don't have a ton of logged flight time but that's what I'll go do next to build my confidence. So thank you for the threads. And my DJI goggles just arrived. Sad to see that on the Phantom 4 (base) not all features are supported. Somehow in my research I missed that. But the upside is a Mavic pro might be in the cards for me. Unless there's something better coming soon???

I'm glad you learnt something, I hope this is a mistake you don't make in the future. Best of luck!

Skin sounds like a nice idea.
Does it affect the temperature of the drone in any way in a hot climate (I suppose since it probably doesn't cover the battery it shouldn't)?

Skin sounds like a nice idea.
Does it affect the temperature of the drone in any way in a hot climate (I suppose since it probably doesn't cover the battery it shouldn't)?

No it doesn't, I fly in pretty hot weather and I haven't noticed a significant difference. Like I said I bought it to keep it clean. If you take off in a place with dirt, it gets pretty dirty. I would definitely recommend it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72