Firmware Question

Reaction score
Hey guys, new P3P owner. My wonderful wife bought me a Phantom 3 professional for Christmas. It came with firmware 1.5.30+ I've flown it a couple short test flights and it's fine. I'm wondering if there's a consensus on which firmware is a favorite, features.. Controls. Thanks

I've been a member of the Phantom Pilots forum for about a year now but have been researching the drone life for quite a while. I have a pretty good grasp of the Do's and Dont's and drone etiquette so I can do my part in keeping bad press away from our hobby.

Last edited:
I like to fly with the current firmware after it's known to be stable. If you decide to upgrade the firmware, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Reactions: troylee
Hey guys, new P3P owner. My wonderful wife bought me a Phantom 3 professional for Christmas. It came with firmware 1.5.x. I've flown it a couple short test flights and it's fine. I'm wondering if there's a consensus on which firmware is a favorite, features.. Controls. Thanks

I've been a member of the Phantom Pilots forum for about a year now but have been researching the drone life for quite a while. I have a pretty good grasp of the Do's and Dont's and drone etiquette so I can do my part in keeping bad press away from our hobby.
I doubt that you'll ever get a consensus on which FW is best. You'd probably get a vote for nearly every version.

Do you have 1.5 or do you have 1.5 with a "+". I ask because 1.5 is known bad and it is the only firmware you should not use. It includes a bug that could allow the battery to shut off mid-flight.
We routinely recommend moving either one down or one or more up from 1.5.

If you have 1.5 with a "+" however, you likely have 1.6 or later so no worries. What is the version of your RC? If it's 1.6 or later, then you have 1.8 or later on your AC. Again, no worries there. If you dont have 1.5, you can just enjoy what you have now. You are not required to make a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
There have been some reports of the latest (1.10) causing "ESC status error" codes with the motors, although it has not been consistent (and I haven't seen anything similar on mine). The 1.9 FW seems to be well-regarded and is likely a safe starting point. I know there's at least one battery firmware in between 1.5 and 1.9, so if you have spare batteries don't forget to run them through the update process as well.

Hello kennedye, quick question for you. I'm on 1.6 and had the same question as the OP. I am happy with this firmware but wanted to know if I should update the batteries without the Ac or Rc? Is that possible or would it cause an issue? I would like to keep 1.6 but now that it's getting colder, I wasn't sure if there was a better choice for the batteries? They are on whatever was up to date at 1.6. Thx!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures