Firmware question on new standard..

Reaction score
So on black friday my wife purchased for me a phantom 3 standard for 369 at walmart. I have been doing my research as i must wait till christmas to open the box. This being my first real drone and not a toy drone etc, i read up almost daily about the drone, but to be honest with all of the range issues with firmware im scared to update it once i get it in my hands. What do you all recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

While some people have complained of range problems after a firmware update, this is not the case for most people. I've yet to encounter any range problems after performing a firmware update. That said, the P3S isn't really designed for long range flying. It uses Wifi, which has limitations in regards to flight distance/video transmission. However, for most people, it's perfect for LOS flying. If you want more range down the road, you can purchase/install one of the antenna mods that increase your range capabilities.

Reactions: yourlocalskitz
So on black friday my wife purchased for me a phantom 3 standard for 369 at walmart. I have been doing my research as i must wait till christmas to open the box. This being my first real drone and not a toy drone etc, i read up almost daily about the drone, but to be honest with all of the range issues with firmware im scared to update it once i get it in my hands. What do you all recommend?

Welcome to the forum!
I'm the anti firmware update guy ;)

As @Goldsaum82 said
"While some people have complained of range problems after a firmware update, this is not the case for most people."
I agree 100%, well 80% :)

When somebody says firmware in the same sentence as P3S, I will speak. :rolleyes:
This is been going on since Aug 2015.
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

A small accumulation of my book marks.
Terrible signal performance

The only thing I have ever thought I did out of sequence, was when the firmware says it was successful, the instructions are restart your Phantom to complete the install, it does not say to turn of the remote.

Both times this problem accrued, I had to send the phantom in.
First return was different phantom and different remote.
Second return, same phantom and invoice of what was replaced internally and a different remote.

This because I did not leave the remote on when I restarted the Phantom?
I doubt it, but I would sure like to know.

I will only do a firmware update if I have a spare bird.

Fly in the Air or FryWare

"i must wait till christmas to open the box"
OMG, no way :eek:

Rod :)

While some people have complained of range problems after a firmware update, this is not the case for most people. I've yet to encounter any range problems after performing a firmware update. That said, the P3S isn't really designed for long range flying. It uses Wifi, which has limitations in regards to flight distance/video transmission. However, for most people, it's perfect for LOS flying. If you want more range down the road, you can purchase/install one of the antenna mods that increase your range capabilities.
Yeah, at the moment im really only interested in keeping that puppy in my sight but at the same time have had my considered toy drone pretty high up. Took this in northern Michigan with a 120 dollar dromida vista drone
f2b559c3cfba60d51ec28775be5e1a9c.jpg
i recently stopped flying the vista as my last camping trip it had a fly off and got a motor locked up, seemed that with the camera installed it had a huge loss of power. So I am very excited to start with my first DJI Drone.

Your fish eye view will be greatly reduced. ;)

Rod

Reactions: yourlocalskitz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers