Fire Extinguisher for Lithium Ion Batteries

Reaction score
Good morning from NY,
We didn't have as much snow as we expected about 4 inches. But it is really cold. My question today is... can anyone recommend a good fire extinguisher to carry and keep with my lithium ion batteries? When I searched for D grade extinguisher I could not zero in on exactly which extinguisher were in that category. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

A small note to let you know why I am asking this now. I have a small laptop with a Lithium battery that developed a significant swelling . under the keyboard and if much more time passed in that condition it likely would have caught on fire.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: mrozburn
IMG_0715.jpg

If this works it is excellent. But I don't know on what basis this extinguisher eliminates the fire of lithium bat. as this is the self generating fire with oxygen producing reaction so usual fire eliminators can't work.

A lot of Sand is best and cheapest cooling and air tight, no cloth is tight against gas from LI-PO fire in cloud Nomex who in used in fire protection cloth
That are reason to not use or store damage battery indoor.

Good morning from NY,
We didn't have as much snow as we expected about 4 inches. But it is really cold. My question today is... can anyone recommend a good fire extinguisher to carry and keep with my lithium ion batteries? When I searched for D grade extinguisher I could not zero in on exactly which extinguisher were in that category. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

A small note to let you know why I am asking this now. I have a small laptop with a Lithium battery that developed a significant swelling . under the keyboard and if much more time passed in that condition it likely would have caught on fire.

I can recommend the FireIce XT Gel extinguisher. I suggest you go to their website and check the video, you’ll be impressed. We plan to buy them for our kits. The only downside is that you’ll have to keep it from freezing, as it’s a liquid-based aerosol delivery system.
Good morning from NY,

I can recommend the FireIce XT Gel extinguisher, one of the few that will stop lithium ion fires. Go to FireIce-xt.com to see a demo video and more info. Only downside I can see is that the extinguisher could freeze since it’s liquid-based aerosol. Good luck!

I can recommend the FireIce XT Gel extinguisher. I suggest you go to their website and check the video, you’ll be impressed. We plan to buy them for our kits. The only downside is that you’ll have to keep it from freezing, as it’s a liquid-based aerosol delivery system.

I can recommend the FireIce XT Gel extinguisher, one of the few that will stop lithium ion fires. Go to FireIce-xt.com to see a demo video and more info. Only downside I can see is that the extinguisher could freeze since it’s liquid-based aerosol. Good luck!

This Fireice xt gel is awesome. Just ordered two bottles. Thanks for sharing.

Here’s the video for anyone interested

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This looks like a good fire extinguisher but it’s not available in the US. It’s also a little expensive.
I’ll stick to my ABC chemical and fill up my bucket with sand next time I go the beach. [emoji41]
Typical never available somewhere,yip stick to bucket and sand it's free :)

Reactions: skymonkey
Just a note, the FireIce XT extinguisher is available through Home Depot or order from the manufacturer. And I'm assuming it will work on LiPo battery fires as well as Lithium ion. Haven't had an opportunity to test it thank goodness.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31