Finnaly bit the bullet

Reaction score
So I finally decided to get the phantom 2 with gimbal and it's here! I did a compass calibration as per instructions but do I need to do anything else? I understand there is a stick calibration and some other stuff I'm probably missing. Do I need to di that before my first flight? Where do I find instruction s to do that if I do?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ok cool. I'll follow that video. I'm hoping for nicer weather so I can take it for its first flight. Thanks!

Also download and read the manuals available on the DJI website...

May I also suggest that you take some time to browse through this forum for as much information as possible before flying.

Read the manual fully, and make sure you dont descend too quickly. Also, try to keep some horizontal movement while descending, to further protect you from descending into you own propwash. Its a costly mistake that isnt well documented in the owners manual.

2trickpony said:
May I also suggest that you take some time to browse through this forum for as much information as possible before flying.

+1

I researched for months on here before even purchasing or posting.

WHEN i got mine P2 i mounted the gimble , read the manual 3 times put a gopro on it and try it out . didn't down load anything for about 10 -15 flights .. worked like the manual said .

Coming from somebody who also just got their Phantom recently, I've had the darn thing for 10 days and have done nothing but charge the flight battery, install batteries in the transmitter and update the firmware. I've been reading documentation on this forum, the rest of the Interwebz and watching countless YouTube videos.

The main thing that I've learned? Stay away from densely populated areas and TAKE YOUR TIME. Do I want to go out and get this thing in the air right here in the parking lot of my condo? Heck yes I do. Would that be smart? Not at all. There are 37 wireless networks within range of the parking lot with 33 of them being 2.4GHz. While I'm sure I'd be able to fly it just fine, I don't want to risk that many 2.4GHz signals interfering with anything. Plus there are power lines and trees everywhere. The patience thing also comes into play when actually getting to fly it for the first time - GPS lock is CRUCIAL. I've seen a lot of videos from dudes that are just using the Phantom to take pictures and they get the thing off the ground with the lights still flashing red and then wonder why they have such a hard time with it. Then comes all of the dreadful "fly away" chatter, etc.

I'm actually hoping to get mine out today here in a bit. Weather is supposed to get worse later but it looks like I have a few hours to get out there. Heading to a huge park with three soccer fields that I'm betting won't be in use today with school being in session.

Good luck!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Some great advice! I have been reading and watching video to get as much info as possible. I will make sure I het a GPS lock before I take off too. I plan on holding off installing the fumble and go pro until I get a few flights in. One thing I did notice is one of the props doesn't screw on easily like the others. It's not stripped but I do have to hold the motor to get it on. Don't know what that's about.

mustang_52 said:
Some great advice! I have been reading and watching video to get as much info as possible. I will make sure I het a GPS lock before I take off too. I plan on holding off installing the fumble and go pro until I get a few flights in. One thing I did notice is one of the props doesn't screw on easily like the others. It's not stripped but I do have to hold the motor to get it on. Don't know what that's about.

I have the exact same thing on mine...has not been an issue at all :D

Flew mine for the first time two nights ago - 'twas awesome! Definitely let it go through its motions with GPS and such. Once you see the pulsing green LED flash and steady green flashes after that, you should be good.

You are going to be shocked at how stable this thing is!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Indeed am i stoked! I took it out today and I can't believe how fun this thing is. Got a GPS lock and took off. Had no issues at all. I was a little scared going far son I just basically practiced with menuevering it around. It's time to mount the gopro! After a lot of practice I plans on going to a fpv setup so I can really take advantage of it.

Ok so I decided it was time to hook up the zenmuse gimbal and now I have a problem. I updated to the latest firmware and tried to calibrate the controller and there's no tilt control on the gimbal. I noteced before hooking up the gimbal that when I calibrated it didn't seem to register on the computer. Son I opened the controller to see if I could see if the slider was contacting the board but I had no success. I did howete turn it with a screwdriver and it works so im assuming it's just not lining up. So I'm sending the thing back for a replacement but I'd like to known if this is common or what else I should have tried?

After I did all the upgrades and then went back to do the calibrations on the controller, the gimbal switch (X1?) did not react much or travel far within the RC Controller X1 window. It also felt like it was not connected to anything since there is little to no friction. My camera would start upright and then point down when I turned on the P2.

Others on this forum discovered that after you do the calibrations on the controller in RC software that you then have to go back into the P2 Assistant software and Re-calibrate the gimbal switch (X1?). Believe it or not, after you do this and power off and then back on, the gimbal switch WORKS!! I didn't believe it but followed the idea on this forum and also noted that DJI also states this in their directions for firmware updates. Whew, what a relief.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20