Fine tuning a waypoint mission

Reaction score
Hi.
Im pretty new to Litchi and am getting a handle on it.
Something I really want to do is film half way up a group of trees - they are in Australia and are called Grasstrees, Balga trees and the old term was Blackboy's - it was said they looked like an aboriginal hunter with a spear pointing upwards.

Have look at the pic attached.

I want to glide through a group of these trees using waypoints - Im not skilled enought to do it manually. Ive tried - the camera yaws to much (due to my low rent skills) and i have to continually rasie the elevation of the camera due to upward sloping terrain. So I figure waypoint is the way to go.

But...in Litchi Mission Planner I have an Google aerial perspective of the area and while this can point me in the right direction (using the P4P) it doesnt take into account the rising terrain on the upper left to the shot, nor allow me to mission plan the pinpoint accuracy I need to navigate through a tight path. It's tight squeeze but thats whats the shot requres - to be in and amongst them.

Any idea how I can complie this mission with the accuracy needed?
Thx

Attachments

• Grasstree and hillface.jpg
    Grasstree and hillface.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 266
#1 Share your mission on the hub.
#2 Your path you want to take closest distance between the trees.
#3 Have looked at Virtual Litchi Mission, Virtual Litchi Mission
#4 I have tired some things similar on my own property, decided the GPS wasn't accurate enough.

Rod

This is not the project around my house, but this was going to a buddies house trying almost sit down in the grassy area, then head back home. There is a PTZ camera on the south side of the biggest building that I can watch from my house, never did see the Phantom in the camera, but that would have been cool.

I would fine tune the spot maybe 5' to the south, run the mission again, play back the video at it would be 10' more to North, dang nearly hit the tree to North the one I was moving away from. I still needed to make the elevation at the waypoint 10'-15' lower.

Take a look at WP-10
It is -396 Ft

Anyways, my point is the GPS accuracy.

I have a buddy in Australia runs the same mission many times on his property to Inspect his water reservoirs. It returns and watches the Phantom hit a tree branch it was about 10' off coarse.

Mission Hub - Litchi

Rod

Last edited:
When you have time . Using Litchi fly to the various waypoints and adjust them while you are there so that you have the right spots ( about 7 m above the points , so you are not terrified ) , then later adjust the heights of the waypoints . This has worked for me and in alot closer vegetation than you have with the blackboys . Should look very nice when you are finished . Don't forget to keep adjusting the height up as you go up the slope . Height is from where you take off . Fly it a couple of times at the 7m before you start adjusting , so you are confident of everything before you adjust the height . You can also adjust your speed . All the best and take it slow . There is no hurry . The old bloke said " The hurrier I go, the behinder I get "

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks,
You pretty much took care of my next post if he replied. ;)
Start with above and slow. :)

Rod

Thx for the replies. I am going to give it a shot tomight.
Re the VLM I need more time to have a go.
Thx all n I'll freport back

When you ready for VLM, I can give you some quick tips.

Rod

Thx Rodpad.
I'll be in touch.
Couldnt fly last evening nor this morning due to high winds. Shot ground stills anyway ( this morning) which was worthwhile.
Gotta drive away tomorrow morning from this location and wont be back for a few weeks so its tonight or not at all for a while.

Full moon tonight so am soaking up Photopills info to shoot the moon and the grass trees. Ground stills only with a Sony a6300 - cant use the p4p as it's focal length is fixed at wide angle. Id kill to see an adaptation to a mid to tele lens for the p4p.
More soon. Thx all

Hi.
Im pretty new to Litchi and am getting a handle on it.
Something I really want to do is film half way up a group of trees - they are in Australia and are called Grasstrees, Balga trees and the old term was Blackboy's - it was said they looked like an aboriginal hunter with a spear pointing upwards.

Have look at the pic attached.

I want to glide through a group of these trees using waypoints - Im not skilled enought to do it manually. Ive tried - the camera yaws to much (due to my low rent skills) and i have to continually rasie the elevation of the camera due to upward sloping terrain. So I figure waypoint is the way to go.

But...in Litchi Mission Planner I have an Google aerial perspective of the area and while this can point me in the right direction (using the P4P) it doesnt take into account the rising terrain on the upper left to the shot, nor allow me to mission plan the pinpoint accuracy I need to navigate through a tight path. It's tight squeeze but thats whats the shot requres - to be in and amongst them.

Any idea how I can complie this mission with the accuracy needed?
Thx
I plan the mission in Litchi then fly it in VLM app (Virtual Litchi Mission) you can get it quite accurate using this. The next thing is you can interpolate your camera so as to show only the area you want and at the angle you want. The great thing about Litchi is if you can walk the flight path you can add your waypoints and fine-tune them as you go. Good luck.

I 'plan' difficult missions by flying the desired path manually in waypoint mode an place waypoints at strategic positions with the C1-button.

Position, Height, Heading and Gimbal Pitch are all stored at each waypoint.

In general settings Heading Mode must be set to 'Custom(WD)' and Default Gimbal Pitch Mode to 'Interpolate'.

2 things Litchi cannot understand trees from google maps it looks only at height above takeoff. You must manually set Litchi up to actually use height above ground at any given point in the route. It works fine when you do it, but is a little fiddle to set up.

Yep, my P3S found a 220+ Pine tree, all of missions around my house start at 100m WP#1. Is easier to calculate the AGL on the first run.

Rod

Finally back. Thank you all for the valuable input. Looks like setting up the waypoints manual sounds the sane way to go, then refine it. That will be a much safer option too of course and I like that idea. Came across a great YTV by Dragon 7 re creating a virtual mission
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- that too is going to be amazing.
I havent gone back to the Blackboy outcrop yet and am trying out FPV with the cheap VR Box - cost is AUD10 in KMart so had to try it.

Cant fly it yet as I know there are some settings in Litchi I need to refine before flying and cant see the info for the P4P. The YT tutes I have come across are 3 years old and the settings dont coincide with my Litchi software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31