Finding a case

Reaction score
So I want one case that can hold my Osmo+ and accessories for convenience (and to protect them) but I am having a gell of a time finding one. Everything is either designed for the original Osmo but not the Osmo+, is way too expensive (I will not pay $100+ for a storage box), won't hold everything that I need (really just aftermarket versions of the factory case), or are really poor quality and leave glue all over everything (Nanuk).

I may have found a solution though I have found some decent deals on Pelican 1450 cases with pick n pluck foam that might do the trick. Would the Osmo+, Z-Axis, Tripod, Extension Rod, Charger and cord, External Power Adapter with 10 pin cord, straight extension arm, universal mount, a couple extra cold shoes (tripod adapter and 360), Rode Video Micro with swivel mount, and the Osmo Base all fit in that? What if I added the vehicle mount and arm? Eyeballing it at the store it looked like it might work, albeit tightly, but I didn't have my stuff with me to check.

What do you think? Should I get the Pelican 1450? Will it work? Do you have an alternate suggestion?

I have all the same equipment that you mentioned and was running into the same issue. I can't believe not a single case on the market has a dedicated spot for the z axis. I think the 1450 will fit all the items you have but might be a little tight. Not sure how my much foam will be left!

I got mine from dronecrates and it fits either model (I have a mobile) it has laser cut parts that can be removed to fit either model ...plus a 2nd layer for batteries and other parts

I don't have an Osmo, but have 2 Pelican cases with pluck foam. I also have a Nanuk case for my quadcopter. Both Pelican and Nanuk are high quality excellent cases.

The best thing to do to determine if a case with pluck foam will fit all your gear, is to get the inside dimensions, then get a large piece of cardboard or stiff paper and draw out the inside dimensions, then place all your gear on the cardboard/paper to see if it all fits. I did this when purchasing a Pelican case for my DSLRs and lenses. Now I have a case completely customized for how I use my gear. If you go this route don't forget to account for inside depth, the space you want between the Osmo and accessories, and the non customizable border of foam inside the case (usually about 2 cubes thick). This is the best route if you want a case customized for your gear, however because of the flexibility the cost is usually a bit higher.

I don't skimp on cases! Considering the cost you pay for your gear, you want a case that will protect and meet your specific needs.

I'm considering using my pelican 1450 and replacing the inside with kaizen foam. You can score it a razor blade to fit what ever accessories you have for a custom fit.

I've done it, Sam's Club currently has some Pelican knockoff hardcases in stock. One is long and is intended for things like tactical rifles, the other is a pistol or equipment case. Both feature Pick-N-Pluck style foam to custom fit your gear. The prices of both are very good. I got the pistol one:

IMG-0135-259484.JPG

Here is the outside:

IMG-0117-259486.JPG

IMG-0119-259487.JPG

IMG-0121-259488.JPG

Exterior measurements:

IMG-0129-259490.JPG

IMG-0131-259491.JPG

IMG-0127-259494.JPG

It does have a pressure valve of sorts:

IMG-0123-259496.JPG

IMG-0125-259497.JPG

Inside:

IMG-0095-259498.JPG

IMG-0097-259499.JPG

The case is sealed with a rubber gasket:

IMG-0099-259500.JPG

The first downside I saw is that the "Pick-N-Pluck" foam is a bit chunky:

IMG-0103-259501.JPG

In Metric:

IMG-0105-259502.JPG

Inside measurements:

IMG-0107-259505.JPG

IMG-0111-259506.JPG

IMG-0109-259507.JPG

The foam is 3 layers, plus the egg crate style foam in the lid, the top layer is Pick-N-Pluck, the bottom two are solid:

IMG-0101-259508.JPG

IMG-0113-259509.JPG

IMG-0115-259510.JPG

Last edited:
The first step was laying out my gear so I would get an idea of where it would go:

IMG-0145-261992.JPG

It was clearly going to be a tight fit!

Next I carefully used my finger as a saw to "cut" around my items. I found I didn't quite have room for everything, the cables, charger, filters, base, and drone battery adapter as well as my (future) bike mount and other doodads will have to go in another layer later, there is definitely room for them, just not in the top layer. Here is my result:

IMG-0148-261996.JPG

The case contains:

Osmo+ with the phone mount
Straight extension arm and knob rosette
Universal mount with attached 360 mount
Vehicle mount
Articulating arm
Z-Axis
Extension rod
Tripod
Rode video Micro (I had to detach the wind guard and put it in it's own slot)

Some information from the packaging:

IMG-0144-262026.JPG
I just bought the same one and the only downside I can see is the weight of the case. I also saw a tip to spray the P & P foam with Plasi-Dip to solidify/firm up the remaining foam after making your holes.

I just bought the same one and the only downside I can see is the weight of the case. I also saw a tip to spray the P & P foam with Plasi-Dip to solidify/firm up the remaining foam after making your holes.

Yes, it is a bit heavy, but I don't mind that so much, as long as it carries everything. I would love to see your results if you feel like sharing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic