'Find My Drone' Reliability? Tracking Alternatives?

Well, I just bought a Retrievor. Or, I should say I just pre-ordered one. $199.00 plus $10 shipping. Paid with PayPal so if there is an issue with delivery I should be able to get a refund. They, Spectikon Corporation, are saying June for shipping to their supporters, which I presume means the ones that were part of their campaign to raise funds. I don't think my pre-order qualifies me as a supporter so who know when it might be delivered, but I won't wait forever. They initially stated shipping for January 2014. I also went to their site http://www.retrievor.com/ and sent this query: "I plan to use this on a quad-copter. The copter operates on 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz. It uses GPS and a compass for orientation as well as wi-fi to communicate with the transmitter. I may lose control and it may fly away to who knows where. It may take hours or days to find it. It may be in woods or on top of a building or up a tree. Do you believe this is a good choice for me to be able to track my lost copter?" I'll keep everyone posted with whatever info I receive from them.

beckham388 said:
OK, so here is a summary based on weight:

Retrievor - weighs 18 grams (.63 oz) Pre-sale - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retr ... retrieving - No I am not an investor...
Trax - weighs 25 grams (0.88 oz)
Locca Mini - weighs 25 grams (0.88 oz)
PocketFinder People Locator - weighs 39 grams (1.4 oz)
Drone Mods UAV Locator - weighs 56 grams (1.9 oz)
Global Tracker (Tk102) - weighs 60 grams (2.1 oz)
PocketFinder Pet Locator - weighs 68 grams (2.4 oz)
EagleEyes FPV Station - weighs 78 grams (2.7 oz)
SPOT Trace - weighs 87.9 grams (3.1 oz)
SPOT Connect - weighs 139 grams (4.9 oz)

To add to the analysis (or muddy the water)

I compared the Trax, PocketFinder(PF), DroneMod(DM), and Tagg units (as they are similar using GPS and realtime tracking) for 1,2, & 3yr costs - (unit + subscription)

Wt(gr) 1 yr 2yr 3yr
Trax 25 - $249 $315
PF 39 306 461 615
DM 56 194 254 314
Tagg 33 200 320 440

If you think you will only use it for a year than DM and Tagg are almost the same except Tagg is half the weight. If you plan on 2yrs or more then DM and Trax are close, but Trax weighs significantly less.

Thoughts... DM offers the best value if your not sure of how long you want to be committed and it is made specifically for UAV's. Can't imagine the others would interfere with the P2, but not sure.

Another thought is cross utilization. If you have pet that you would like to track, then the Tagg could be used for this when your not flying. For me having young drivers, I like the idea of using the Trax to monitor them occasionally (they would think it is all the time) using the speed and location functions.

So that said I ordered the Trax today ... If anyone hears or thinks of interference issues that it may have- please share!!!

Sorry the grid looked much better before it posted- this may make more sense.

Wt(gr)
1 yr
2yr
3yr

Trax
-
$249
$315

PF

DM

Tagg

Currently I'm on the fence between Trax and DroneMods.

Trax looks great and it's lightweight. But it's backordered and looks like it's coming from Sweden.

DroneMods is pretty heavy, but I bet its rugged (and may take more of a beating than Trax) and it's shipped in the USA (plus it's tested on UAVs).

Me thinks on going DM. :geek:

Also I would like to thank Cocoa Beach Kiter for the comparison!

UrAwFuL said:
Currently I'm on the fence between Trax and DroneMods.

Trax looks great and it's lightweight. But it's backordered and looks like it's coming from Sweden.
That's funny... I'm on the fence between Trax and Retrievor.
Both look great but both are backordered.
The more appealing one looks like it was supposed to be out in January so who knows when it'll finally see its way to being available.
Meantime I'm worried each time I take to the sky without my insurance policy.

Just ordered the DroneMods one. At least it's in stock, pretty rugged, and I don't have to worry about service charges for a year (actually I'm not sure what'll happen in one year, but we'll see when it comes in). I was actually about to get the TK102B, but it's slightly heavier and keeping up with the SIM card is gonna give me a monthly headache.

Use coupon code "10-OFF" to knock it down to $175-ish + $5 shipping.

RedRyderMedia said:
Does the Tile System not work for this application? $20, small, light.....???

http://www.thetileapp.com

The problem I have with those kind of devices is that (i'm pretty sure) it uses bluetooth to communicate. So basically, you'll need to be at least about 30 feet next to it to get a signal which is fairly useless (unless you're pretty lucky).

beckham388 said:
OK, so here is a summary based on weight:
I updated my original thread message with your weight info... giving you credit of course. Hope you don't mind. Thanks for the input.

This one for Australia.

http://www.readytrack.com.au/products/r ... pabilities

65 gms.(on the heavy side) $120. Put an Aldi prepaid $15 sim in it (uses Telstra 3G network), and it's good to go for a year.
Edit: Just remembered I've got a Telstra sim with a 500mb monthly data allowance sitting in the draw (came as part of a bundle) , so this thing is $120 with no ongoing charges. (for me)
He said it actually does use the satellites as well as GSM. A few others I've spoken to say "Yes it's GPS" but when pushed, it's GSM only.
Edit

iPhone GPS Support

The iPhone 3G and all subsequently released iPhone models use A-GPS -- or "Assisted GPS" -- which in basic terms accesses an intermediary server when it is not possible to connect directly via satellite -- indoors, for example -- and this server provides the nearest satellite with additional information to make it possible to more accurately determine a users position.

Apple explains that the iPhone 3G and all later models also use "wi-fi hotspots and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast" when GPS is not the most convenient method of location detection. The iPhone 3GS and later iPhone models additionally have an integrated digital compass to also provide the direction one is facing, which is quite useful when combined with mapping software.

Anyone using the Global tracker tk102 ?
Seems like it pretty cheap , can't see if there's a monthly service on.
Pretty good utube video on it.

Sorry I didn't read the first page ,questions answered.
How do you get around the tagg sleep mode ? Might take me. 5 min to figure what's going on !

I was looking at AT&T GoPhone plans, and notice a plan that nobody else mentioned. It's $2/day for unlimited SMS and voice, but only on the days that you use the service. The $.10/min voice plan seems to cost $.20/text, or you can buy a package 200/$4.99/month. If it wasn't for the $ expiration issue, the $2/day plan might be the better package, especially if you only ever use it to find your UAV when it's lost vs. regular beaconing.

i used this feature yesterday and it was over 500 feet off. Closer to 600 feet. some guy found my drone in his tree and called the number this morning :p
when i checked the video the drone went 800 feet past the "find my drone" point then turned around and returned 200 feet before coming down. it was a huge difference as it had me in the completely wrong neighborhood trying looking in people's back yards trying to find my drone. luckily it didn't rain over night.
any suggestions on better ways to track a drone that didn't come home.

I just got my RF-V16 and it took me a while to get it programmed but it has been working great since.

I also like that you can set a second SOS number on it so you can use it as a emergency phone.
I put mine on my at&t contract for 15 bucks a month with unlimited talk and text.

When I have a chance I am going to give it to a friend of mine and have him go play hide and seek.
and see how good it works.

The speaker is pretty loud but I will test it more in a wooded lot and see how far I can hear its speaker.

More info to come.

I've written a full review/guide to the RF-V16, heres the main points:

- A microSIM card is required and it MUST have a data plan, 2G/3G/4G works
- The RF-V16 uses AGPS to quickly obtain satellite information
- When getting position, the GPS chips only wakes for 30 seconds to conserve battery life
- The position is uploaded to gps123.org every 10 minutes by default, here you can view historical data and live tracking
- The minimum upload frequency you can set is every 1 minute

Heres my full review/guide:

http://blog.sam-thompson.info/rf-v16-gps-tracker-guide/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl