Fastest external ssd thunderbolt 3

PQM

Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster. Internet and local experts have cloudy answers. Search on this pro forum almost answers my question but not quite. Looking for an external ssd Drive with thunderbolt 3 interface. Using a 2017 15” MacBook Pro with premier pro wanting to edit all size content exclusively off the Drive. Also want to rotate this drive’s content off regularly so storage size is non factor.

What is the fastest option below $1000? Does usb c connectivity take full advantage of available products?

Glyph and lacie have been the recommended. Glyph atom raid is what I am looking at.

Any help out there?

SSDs are sufficiently fast that you're not going to notice any difference between one or another, unless an external interface is limiting the speed.

SSD RAID arrays are generally pointless, except for redundancy purposes or in specialized transactional environments.

This stuff is a bit over my head. The glyph atom raid says it uses the redundancy as a whole towards speed. Tests show it at over 800mb/s compared to pretty much everything else in the price range in the 400-500mb/s range. Is the raid speed it claims propaganda? Just seems like there is not many of them in the way of thunderbolt 3 interface and from what I gather it is by far the fastest. Is it?

This stuff is a bit over my head. The glyph atom raid says it uses the redundancy as a whole towards speed. Tests show it at over 800mb/s compared to pretty much everything else in the price range in the 400-500mb/s range. Is the raid speed it claims propaganda? Just seems like there is not many of them in the way of thunderbolt 3 interface and from what I gather it is by far the fastest. Is it?

It's not propaganda, it's just not meaningful. You pay for bragging rights in this case. To simplify a complicated topic, a single SSD of anything but an absolute garbage brand will be more than fast enough for video editing.

Thanks for reply. This forum is experienced...do most share this view?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik