FailSafe motor failure firmware from can land drone with only two motors running

Reaction score
Out of Zurich Switzerland. Firmware upgrade that could allow you to land your drone even if only two of the four motors worked. I did email DJI and Colin Guinn to see if they would be incorporating this software into current and future drones.

www.veritystudios.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Glad you like. I am also looking into a way to tether my Phantom 4 pro in follow me mode for photography.
Don't know what will happen if there is a motor failure with a tether attached. I think it will be fine since the tether will be weighted below the drone.

This is incredible, to heck with parachutes. Haven’t looked at the site but I’m wondering the cost. Definitely if the patch works, it should be added to any expensive drone; especially if you could be done right from the factory. In the meantime, I am very interested. I know from past threads that some patches have caused terrible consequences, Hope this works! Wow

Waiting for word back from the company. Asked pricing and US availability, and whether I have to purchase it for each drone. I assume that’s the way it will work. Worst part is, you will never know if it works into you have a failure. LOL?

Last edited:
Well, it now appears to be in use as shown in the OP’s posted video. It’s just taken 5 years or so to get out of development???

Reactions: Capt KO
Well, it now appears to be in use as shown in the OP’s posted video. It’s just taken 5 years or so to get out of development???
I’ll wait to hear from them and pass on any information received. Still interested but cautious.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Yesterday July 23, 2019, I contacted Verity Studio directly via email and they said they only provide the firmware upgrade to manufacturers of drones. Colin Guinn works with DJI so DJI knows about this software upgrade. I also contacted DJI support to see if they could upgrade their firmware to include the FailSafe firm ware upgrade. They should be getting back to me tomorrow.
I agree that the parachute is not the answer and hope to get positive info back from DJI by tomorrow or Friday.

Since my primary interest is photography I am also looking into Tethered drone kits so I can fly for hours and go at least 300' up and around. Here are a few links if any one else is interested. The military and search and rescue folks are actively using the tethered drones.

Thank you for filling some blanks. Won’t expect a reply from them then. Wishful.

You need to get some more recent reading material.
Colin Guinn works with DJI so DJI knows about this software upgrade.
Colin Guinn had an acrimonious break-up with DJI back in 2013.
Since my primary interest is photography I am also looking into Tethered drone kits so I can fly for hours and go at least 300' up and around. Here are a few links if any one else is interested. The military and search and rescue folks are actively using the tethered drones.
CyPhy ran into troubles in early 2016.
They later tried to get back into business and have folded again.

In my experimentation I tried a running a P3adv, hand held, with just two diagonal props. This was only for a few seconds as I didn't want to risk overheating anything.
At full throttle a P3adv with just two props on a diagonal seems very nearly to have enough thrust to be self supporting and with maybe even has a little actual positive lift. It was twitchy but it was trying to drive 4 motors with everythinb that entails.
For a single prop loss I wonder if, with a suitable control system, it could save a Phantom?
I am not sure what the stability would be like, I guess the third prop would have to be shut down or tumbling roll would follow ( wonder how Veritystudios prevented it?) but the CofG is certainly below the centre of lift, nor do I know if the props would offer any significant gyroscopic stabilising effect

Taking that to mean on a diagonal, i.e. both black or both grey, I think they would.
Two props on one side would surely cause tumbling.

Aside from two motors not likely to provide enough lift, the motors on the diagonal both spin in the same direction. This will immediately induce rapid yaw spin.

Somehow the algorithm is able to use this to its advantage???

Reply from Verity
7CE9C793-B88C-4AF8-9573-EC1407F80933.jpeg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31