FAA section 333 exemption

You guys are missing the mark here as the FAA "rulemaking" will soon be obsolete for the Phantom category... a new micro UAS category defined in the pending 2016 FAA re-authorization legislation exempts all UAS under 4.4 lbs from commercial licensing requirements. This legislation has to be passed by the end of March 2016 because 2015's re-authorization bill was only a 6 month extension signed at the end of September 2015. As long as the amendment doesn't get stripped from the re-authorization legislation we will all be able to fly commercially within the stated guidelines upon it's signage into law (stay under 400 ft, notify airports within 5 miles, no night flying). FAA commercial flight rules & regs will only apply to the 4.4+ lb aircraft.
+1

AIRR bill is delayed and may not make it back off the sidelines.

Yes, apparently the privatization structure (unrelated to micro uas) was not broadly supported. The Senate is now talking about passing their own bill minus the privatization process which would require a short term extension of the current FAA framework (at least 3 months). One can hope that DJI and competitors are lobbying the Senate just as hard as the House so that we can see this pushed through this year.

"This legislation has to be passed by the end of March 2016"

I love this....the Gov does NOT have to do anything on time

Reactions: nattieman
I just got wind of this FAA exemption petition for commercial use of UAVs. Has anyone gone through this paperwork yet?...and if so - anyone out there gotten an exemption? I seriously want to get legit with the FAA, and put my Phantoms to work.

yes, its long, complicated, hire someone unless you have 20 free hours to read everything, research and hopefully get it right. then assuming you do everything right... expect a 6 month or longer waiting period.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr