FAA Requirements and FAA's B4UFly app

Just check your credit card statement you'll see the refund

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Use the UAV Forecast app, the FAA app (B4UFLY) is ridiculous, here are screen shots from B4UFly and UAV Forecast.

ed708f6f994e0dfa1f040438d42cf7ec.jpg

d5349242ef36ffd1edd9e4e5d018bbe1.jpg

Reactions: skyhighdiver
that's what im saying b4ufly is just stupid other app much better like I said most of time just coastguard flying low but they are loud so you can hear them real fast before they get close to you

The FAA Drone registration is a money making scam and that is IT! Like original post said, they ask for no drone information whatsoever. If this was to "Keep people safe" than they would be getting Make, Model, serial numbers, etc so if some idiot causes a crash MAYBE they could trace down who it was. No, this is nothing more than a scam to get $5 off of every American drone owner. I will not re-register when mine expires, trust me.
Sorry you feel that way, I don't think it was a money making scam since the govt gave up 1.25 million dollars on free registrations that took place during the first month of registration. Also, I read through the entire Interim Final Rule posted on the registry site, it's about 600 pages but I was patient, and what I discovered was that in the fine print, the FAA was not really that interested in finding folks after the fact or hammering them with enforcement actions, the primary goal of modeler registration is to educate, which was accomplished through the "Acknowledgement of Safety Guidelines", that we agreed to during the registration process. I'm glad they did that, I think there were many non-aviation folks getting into the business that don't have foundational knowledge of the National Airspace System, and drones have to share the skies with manned aircraft so the system can have an acceptable level of safety.

gov is always making money if you think faa isn't making any dead wrong

Was that before the deadline or after? Because if it was before the deadline they refunded the 5 bucks!
Yeah, because the refunded the money for all the registrations for the first month, they missed out on 1.25 million stones. If they were out to make money, they would not have done refunds. And, I have serious doubts that they can support the registration infrastructure on 5 bucks per registration, just saying. They have to charge 5 dollars because it's in the public law which is mandated by Congress.

This crowd doesn't have the same attitude as the hams, so it wouldn't work. (WA4EGI) But then again, hams have to pass a test.... as opposed to CB radio...
I rest my case.
Oh I'm so sure .. .most of the folks here wouldn't mind some sort of fence between us and hoi poli. But 'our' gear is the same as 'theirs' so it would be kinda hard. And we don't have the decades it took for the ARRL (American Radio Relay League, the functional equivalent to the AMA) to figure out how to work with the government agencies. The 24 hour news cycle now pretty much precludes anything like that.

In fact, in some of my more reflective moments, I'm kind of impressed with the FAA. They've been dragging their feet, err, working slowly and deliberately for some time now. Maybe they'll get it right.
KL1SA

UAV forecast is showing incorrect data in Boise Idaho. There is a class C airport within five mils of my house and the circles in the app do not show it correctly and have me out of the five mile zone. Doesn't look like this app can be trusted.

I have tried to use the b4ufly app and it's info is definitely out of date here in Mass. I shows heliports and hospitals that closed over a decade ago.

I understand the need of drones not flying in restricted areas and I want to fly within the law. But, where can I find accurate information on where I can fly? My fear is that I will be flying and the local or state police are not going to know either. I do not want to get ticketed, lose my drone or get arrested. I am really trying to be responsible and it seems almost impossible to do so.

I got around to installing and trying the b4ufly app. It shows a 5 mile radius around unused heliports. My wife just happens to work at one of them... no helicopters ever land. There's no "airport controller" to contact, especially on weekends where the company may have one security guard sitting there by himself, bored.

I also looked up what it showed for our recreational property. This property is in an unincorporated territory in rural Maine.... there is truly nothing there. My nearest neighbor is literally 2 miles away. But, we are a couple miles from a lake, and that is listed as an "airport". I figured out why... there's one rich guy on the lake who has a seaplane. That seaplane does exist, but... this is Maine... the rich summer people are only there July and August, then he takes his plane away. If the FAA expects me to be calling up some pissed off rich guy's house every time I want to put a drone 400' up over my own land 5 miles away, well... no. And I have 200 acres, plenty of room to fly around without even having to ever leave the property.

That app is loaded with inconsistencies.

If it shows a heliport, I would check it out, and then I may or may not call them based on what I know and what I learn. In other words, I would use it as a tool to make a decision on whether to call, and nothing more. In my opinion, a hobby pilot is not required to call every heliport within five miles of a flight area, regardless of what it says in that app or elsewhere. I adhere to AC 9157A and all pertinent NOTAMS. There is nothing in that advisory or any NOTAM that states a hobby UAS pilot must call a nearby heliport.

just use uav forcast app it is much better

Hello folks, might as well get my two cents in, I agree with wet dog.
I have been flying RC planes and copters for years, and never had to worry about where to fly as long as it was a big field and you stayed in it.
And also some spots I flew in I had to have RC insurance in case my plane went the wrong direction, or hit a expensive car or crashes into a person. Most RC pilots will tell you that even then we did not fly over people, or buildings period. We saw the danger in this especially with gas engines RC,s And seldom if ever did you hear of a RC plane near and airport.
You had no choice but to keep your bird in eye view.
But now, in comes a new way to fly a bird, computer controlled.
As wet dog said you,now have a bird that you can control and computer control. This new bird now reaches beyond the normal fields you normally fly in. this bird now can fly as far as 1.5 miles and beyond. Now they have created a machine that now interferes with real world flight. So folks in here, not all of course, believe that they can take their machine and go where ever they want with no restrictions.
Ask a real world pilot, is he allowed to take off and fly, without a flight report , a log, insurance, engine logs etc.
The FAA had no choice but to put restrictions on this new way of flying equipment. Because it crossed over to real world flying plain and simple.
Just today a report of a drone 200 feet over 747. How many of you good folks want to be on the bad end of that deal if it took that plane down.
To be honest most of the vids I see in here, I can never do, that is If I'm certified. I cannot afford just one mishap of my drone striking anything other then myself. Me I don't care about, but someone else I do.
Most folks are mad because of these new restrictions. I'm bothered about it also, but when I think about it when I'm flying, and I know what these fantastic machines can do, I treat my P3 like a good real world pilot treats his plane, with respect.
My flying time is drastically reduced and where I fly. But that's the cost of flying.
For those that went from RC piloting to phantom flying, all you did was upgrade from a toy to a real machine.
No comparison, I saw that right away. A whole new way of thinking. All I'm saying is that we now have a new hobby that needs to be respected and obeyed.
Oh, and I'm not saying that I have not flown illegally, but I have slowed to small crawl, I almost never go now unless I'm legal, after the registration.
I love this site.
Robert. P3 pilot.

Hello folks, might as well get my two cents in, I agree with wet dog.
I have been flying RC planes and copters for years, and never had to worry about where to fly as long as it was a big field and you stayed in it.
And also some spots I flew in I had to have RC insurance in case my plane went the wrong direction, or hit a expensive car or crashes into a person. Most RC pilots will tell you that even then we did not fly over people, or buildings period. We saw the danger in this especially with gas engines RC,s And seldom if ever did you hear of a RC plane near and airport.
You had no choice but to keep your bird in eye view.
But now, in comes a new way to fly a bird, computer controlled.
As wet dog said you,now have a bird that you can control and computer control. This new bird now reaches beyond the normal fields you normally fly in. this bird now can fly as far as 1.5 miles and beyond. Now they have created a machine that now interferes with real world flight. So folks in here, not all of course, believe that they can take their machine and go where ever they want with no restrictions.
Ask a real world pilot, is he allowed to take off and fly, without a flight report , a log, insurance, engine logs etc.
The FAA had no choice but to put restrictions on this new way of flying equipment. Because it crossed over to real world flying plain and simple.
Just today a report of a drone 200 feet over 747. How many of you good folks want to be on the bad end of that deal if it took that plane down.
To be honest most of the vids I see in here, I can never do, that is If I'm certified. I cannot afford just one mishap of my drone striking anything other then myself. Me I don't care about, but someone else I do.
Most folks are mad because of these new restrictions. I'm bothered about it also, but when I think about it when I'm flying, and I know what these fantastic machines can do, I treat my P3 like a good real world pilot treats his plane, with respect.
My flying time is drastically reduced and where I fly. But that's the cost of flying.
For those that went from RC piloting to phantom flying, all you did was upgrade from a toy to a real machine.
No comparison, I saw that right away. A whole new way of thinking. All I'm saying is that we now have a new hobby that needs to be respected and obeyed.
Oh, and I'm not saying that I have not flown illegally, but I have slowed to small crawl, I almost never go now unless I'm legal, after the registration.
I love this site.
Robert. P3 pilot.

Thank you for sharing that post Robert. Very well said.

Rather than ask those complaining about the B4UFly if they have done anything about it, I will point out that the app provides a way to give feedback.

While we find this forum useful, an FAA software developer probably isn't reading your entries here.

We need to stop whining like children, act like professionals/adults and provide constructive criticism/feedback via the tools provided.

Like any software, it's going to take time to build the B4UFly app into something very useful. How many of you want to go back to the first versions of iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Word or DJI Go? Even as babies, we had to crawl before we ran...

I really really enjoyed this thread, especially the last 2 replies. I've stated in several different threads that the whining belongs somewhere else. I, like many of the folks here, started with toy quads. (notice i said quad ,not drone . people seem to accept that word better)and stepped up to the larger ones. We, as a group, need to learn to pull together. All the bickering I read on various other threads are totally uncalled for. Haters gonna hate. We are all aware of that . But come on. Do we all need validation so badly that we must argue a pointless point? I dr an 18 wheeler for several years. We used cb radios. We had what we called "Radio Rambos". Also "Truck Stop Warriors". People who would hide behind their radio and create discontent just for the joy of hearing other people fight over their initial statement. They would bait people with inflammatory statements just to sit back and enjoy the show. Please people. Let's not let this happen here. Don't let this forum become what the cb radio became to many of us. We finally just stopped using our radios due to all the hate and arguments. OK. That's my 2, or maybe 3 cents worth. ......Nuff said. Peace out

There is also the Hover app that is pretty useful

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik