FAA Remote I.D.

Yep. I was equally as surprised seeing SkyWard as a large part of this program. Being a Verizon company, it gives tremendous access to coast-to-coast coverage. I also learned that LAANC can be accessed through SkyWard. I had only heard of AirMap and KittyHawk.

It is a very promising program, and now we know where to access pertinent information on its progress.

Plus, it may prevent our friends at the FAA from 'overthinking' it with input from this development team.

It appears that the technology is out there already for Remote I.D. I’m sure improvements will come along.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I am also little more optimistic on Remote I.D. with this video. It looks like they want data from take off to landing. Think of it like a black box. If you don’t break any regs or threaten the NAS your safe. No mention of LE or on how manned aircraft will even detect us.
There’s a lot more we need know.
I was surprised to se Uber as a USS.

I think the unknowns are an issue, the added cost, the fact that the $1K or $2K or more you have tied up in drones that very well might be worthless are all problems.

I think the unknowns are an issue, the added cost, the fact that the $1K or $2K or more you have tied up in drones that very well might be worthless are all problems.

Here’s what I don’t get, if the end user of Remote I.D. is LE and the general public who wish to install the app, then why should I have to pay a user fee when it won’t benefit me in any way, unless I install app on my phone. And if I install app on my phone how would I be able to fly without purchasing a second phone. Why would I need to see other drones flying around me? The FAA does not care if two drones have a midair collision and crash and burn (unless they hurt someone on ground), they are not going to send in the NTSB to investigate.
What will be required of drones sold in US is ADS-B In, so that the PIC or drone operator can see any manned traffic coming his/her way and take action.
I had planned on buying a new P4P V2.0 but if it’s not going to be RID compliant I will hold out.

Here’s what I don’t get, if the end user of Remote I.D. is LE and the general public who wish to install the app, then why should I have to pay a user fee when it won’t benefit me in any way, unless I install app on my phone. And if I install app on my phone how would I be able to fly without purchasing a second phone. Why would I need to see other drones flying around me? The FAA does not care if two drones have a midair collision and crash and burn (unless they hurt someone on ground), they are not going to send in the NTSB to investigate.
What will be required of drones sold in US is ADS-B In, so that the PIC or drone operator can see any manned traffic coming his/her way and take action.
I had planned on buying a new P4P V2.0 but if it’s not going to be RID compliant I will hold out.

The proposal makes it clear that the FAA absolutely does care about collisions between drones, as stated in the executive summary and benefits summary. Moving forwards they clearly expect that the system will allow drones to avoid drones, eventually autonomously, but also via notification to the RPIC for drones under manual control.

The proposal makes it clear that the FAA absolutely does care about collisions between drones, as stated in the executive summary and benefits summary. Moving forwards they clearly expect that the system will allow drones to avoid drones, eventually autonomously, but also via notification to the RPIC for drones under manual control.

So how will the PIC or drone operator/hobbyist be able to see other drones? Would it be a specific app or would it be incorporated into all other apps, DJI Go 4, Litchi, Drone Deploy etc?
I want to understand how this RID is going to benefit me since I will have to pay a monthly fee and possibly upgrade to a new drone that is RID compliant.

If you can only fly in areas with internet coverage wouldn't that make these areas more congested & there for more likely to have the very collisions the FAA does care about?

So how will the PIC or drone operator/hobbyist be able to see other drones? Would it be a specific app or would it be incorporated into all other apps, DJI Go 4, Litchi, Drone Deploy etc?
I want to understand how this RID is going to benefit me since I will have to pay a monthly fee and possibly upgrade to a new drone that is RID compliant.

Good question. Since DJI is obviously involved in the development I'm pretty sure that future versions of the GO app will simply display those on the map, with notifications. The data would either come via the USS network through the phone's internet connection (if available) or by direct reception of UAV broadcasts.

If you can only fly in areas with internet coverage wouldn't that make these areas more congested & there for more likely to have the very collisions the FAA does care about?

There is no restriction to fly only with internet connectivity under Standard Remote ID.

This will just cost us more money. I have a limited data plan, now I will have to run data at all times in the air, or be within 400 ft of the controller.
I will be asking for that to be extended to 1000 ft.
If there is no WiFi or cell service, you are screwed.

Here is an example story:
Joe is a farmer who is using his UAS to track his cows. Joe's farm has no wifi and Joe has a flip phone because he is scared that the government is too invasive. Joe does however know how to read a sectional chart and knows that he is in G airspace without an airport for 50 miles.
But Joe can not take off or fly more than 400 feet from himself if he could or he will get a $20,000 fine from the FAA.
Joe will be counting cows from his horse today.
End of story.

I am all for the aircraft flying around broadcasting whatever will help identify it to authorities, but this whole "hook it to the internet", mentality has got to be thrown out.

Also what is to keep the USS providers from bilking us for $30 a month. Will the government be passing regulations to keep that $2.99 a month fee they use as an example? I doubt it.

How about we implement all this great technology into people's automobiles and see how that flies with the public, no pun intended.

:)
Well I have a farm primary purpose for mine, although was looking into side commercial jobs later as gain more experienced. Guess will just stick to my farm never over around 200 ft and screw it just no more upgrading just in case. Been trying to follow the rules but if this happens not going to stop flying over my own property regardless.

Good question. Since DJI is obviously involved in the development I'm pretty sure that future versions of the GO app will simply display those on the map, with notifications. The data would either come via the USS network through the phone's internet connection (if available) or by direct reception of UAV broadcasts.

All DJI drones weighing more than 250 grams released after today will have ADS-B In, and drone PIC, operator will be able to see aircraft on their display in time to avoid a collision. Which I think it’s awesome. Not everyone flies with Go 4 app, so don’t know what happens if your flying with other app.

Last edited:
There is no restriction to fly only with internet connectivity under Standard Remote ID.
Option 1 says drone is to simultaneously transmit by radio frequency and internet
Option 2 limited remote you can only fly out to 400 ft with flight plan submitted by internet?
Option 3 FRIA No internet

sar 104 am I reading this wrong?

Option 1 says drone is to simultaneously transmit by radio frequency and internet
Option 2 limited remote you can only fly out to 400 ft with flight plan submitted by internet?
Option 3 FRIA No internet

sar 104 am I reading this wrong?
Page 22
“Standard Remote identification:
If the internet is available at takeoff, the UAS would have to do the following from takeoff to landing: (1) connect to the internet and transmit the required remote identification message elements through that internet connection to a Remote ID USS; and (2) broadcast the message elements directly from the unmanned aircraft.
If the internet is unavailable at takeoff, or if during the flight, the unmanned aircraft can no longer transmit through an internet connection to a Remote ID USS, the UAS would have to broadcast the message elements directly from the unmanned aircraft from takeoff to landing.
89.110”

Reactions: dronesky
Page 22
“Standard Remote identification:
If the internet is available at takeoff, the UAS would have to do the following from takeoff to landing: (1) connect to the internet and transmit the required remote identification message elements through that internet connection to a Remote ID USS; and (2) broadcast the message elements directly from the unmanned aircraft.
If the internet is unavailable at takeoff, or if during the flight, the unmanned aircraft can no longer transmit through an internet connection to a Remote ID USS, the UAS would have to broadcast the message elements directly from the unmanned aircraft from takeoff to landing.
89.110”
Okay think I got it so all we really have to do is broadcast from aircraft won't need an internet connection at all

Okay think I got it so all we really have to do is broadcast from aircraft won't need an internet connection at all

If there is an internet connection then you have to transmit the data via that to a USS and broadcast directly. If there is no internet connection the just broadcasting directly is compliant with Standard Remote ID.

Reactions: dronesky
All DJI drones weighing more than 250 grams released after today will have ADS-B In, and drone PIC, operator will be able to see aircraft on their display in time to avoid a collision. Which I think it’s awesome. Not everyone flies with Go 4 app, so don’t know what happens if your flying with other app.

I would guess that all the major apps will be updated to display those data, as well as ADS-B from manned aircraft.

I would guess that all the major apps will be updated to display those data, as well as ADS-B from manned aircraft.

I heard from “Bill the drone reviewer” that ADS-B In is not firmware upgrade but actually a hardware. Didn’t say if it was drone or rc.

I think there are other more dangerous aerial intruders than Drones. Just ask Captain Sully and the passengers on his flight that day in the Hudson River. Surely the FAA can come up with some rule that would require birds to not fly into jet engines.

I heard from “Bill the drone reviewer” that ADS-B In is not firmware upgrade but actually a hardware. Didn’t say if it was drone or rc.

That's right - ADS-B-in is not implemented on most of the DJI aircraft yet, and it will require hardware since that's on a completely different frequency. On the plus side, nothing in this proposal requires ADS-B-in on sUAS.

That's right - ADS-B-in is not implemented on most of the DJI aircraft yet, and it will require hardware since that's on a completely different frequency. On the plus side, nothing in this proposal requires ADS-B-in on sUAS.

ADS-B in is something that will benefit drone PIC’s/hobbyists and pilots of manned aircraft, Detect and Avoid. The next time a pilot of manned aircraft declares he almost got hit by drone, RID will be able to verify if there was a drone in the area and who it belongs to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez