FAA Remote I.D.

I'm pretty sure that the sub 250gr loophole is being closely "Evaluated".... remember this is a NPRM and there could be various "modifications/Tweaks" to come into play before this becomes REAL.
This "loophole" won't be closed because of the hundreds of thousands of TOY camera-drones sold every month that could no longer be sold (or used) without sophisticated technology.

Remote I.D. has absolutely nothing to with the ability of any manned aircraft or drones to see us. It has all to do with the ability of LE and general public to see us and make a report and possibly fine us for breaking any regs like flying bvlos.
Bringing this out at same time as ADS-B Out mándate has some thinking it has to do with general and commercial aviation ability to see us.
What DJI is doing in having new drones with ADS-B In, is what will make aviation, manned and unmanned, safer by letting the drone PIC see manned aircraft that is approaching them on their screen with plenty of time to get the hell out of the manned aircraft’s way.
Remote I.D. is their way of policing even out in the country. Your neighbors will be able rat you out to authorities.
This is what I believe.

Remote I.D. has absolutely nothing to with the ability of any manned aircraft or drones to see us.

And yet it's a system that will do exactly that, and there are obvious reasons to want to do that. If they just wanted LE to be able to find drones then all LE needs to do is buy Aeroscope receivers or equivalent. And they sure aren't going to all this expense just to provide the general public with the ability to watch drone traffic.

And yet it's a system that will do exactly that, and there are obvious reasons to want to do that. If they just wanted LE to be able to find drones then all LE needs to do is buy Aeroscope receivers or equivalent. And they sure aren't going to all this expense just to provide the general public with the ability to watch drone traffic.

I still say the crop duster type flyers (visual only no tech) aren’t going to pay to install the necessary tech to see us... so they still won’t see us. And the other aircraft that rely on IFR or whatever it’s called hopefully stay above 400’ until in their final to the airport (and we already can’t fly there!)

How will commercial aircraft with ADS-B In be able to see us if our drones do not have ADS-B Out? And how will general aviation aircraft see us if they are not even required, yet, to have ADS-B In? Airplanes that don’t go into class B, C, D, and E above 10,000 feet are not required to have ADS-B Out.

How will commercial aircraft with ADS-B In be able to see us if our drones do not have ADS-B Out? And how will general aviation aircraft see us if they are not even required, yet, to have ADS-B In? Airplanes that don’t go into class B, C, D, and E above 10,000 feet are not required to have ADS-B Out.

Unknown yet, but technically not difficult. Those aircraft could easily have sUAS broadcast receivers, or on approach and departure (which is going to be one of the important areas) they could simply be notified by ATC. Crop dusters will just dodge them of course.

Reactions: Adamborz
I still say the crop duster type flyers (visual only no tech) aren’t going to pay to install the necessary tech to see us... so they still won’t see us. And the other aircraft that rely on IFR or whatever it’s called hopefully stay above 400’ until in their final to the airport (and we already can’t fly there!)

You may not fly there but many UAVs are flown above 400 ft. Again - this is an attempt at an engineered control and notification system rather than relying on sUAS pilots, especially recreational ones, following the law. Which they clearly don't.

Unknown yet, but technically not difficult. Those aircraft could easily have sUAS broadcast receivers, or on approach and departure (which is going to be one of the important areas) they could simply be notified by ATC. Crop dusters will just dodge them of course.

I agree that on approach and departure ATC could get signal broadcast by drone and notify aircraft, but any drone flying in class B,C,D airspace has to get LAANC approval before hand.
There are ADS-B Out for drones ( certification pending) but this will work only, I believe, if above 500’. I don’t think they will ever require it for drones limited to 400’ as this will probably clutter the ADS-B In screens on any aircraft.

I agree that on approach and departure ATC could get signal broadcast by drone and notify aircraft, but any drone flying in class B,C,D airspace has to get LAANC approval before hand.

Exactly so ATC should already be communicating our position to said aircraft.

Those of us willing to jump through all the hoops, are just going to keep having more hoops thrown at us.

I just hope somebody cracks down on those that don’t comply and runs them out of business. I’m tired of competing with those that don’t even have their 107, let alone business insurance etc.

Remember guys, there are around 20,000 airports in the US that are non-towered.

Relying on ATC to maintain separation of manned aircraft and drones would be very limited.

Plus, manned aircraft with no electrical system (Piper Cubs, ultralights, etc) are exempt from the FAA ADS-B In/Out mandate that takes effect this Wednesday 1-1-2020.

Having ADS-B Out on a drone would enhance safety to those who stray into controlled airspace only to a small degree. But, it is a positive step to increase situational awareness in today's crowded skies.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah, that situational awareness has really been lacking out behind my house, 401’ away from me and 10’ AGL on my own land.... We’ve just got to have the government jump in and save our society from such a travesty.

There are ADS-B Out for drones ( certification pending) but this will work only, I believe, if above 500’. I don’t think they will ever require it for drones limited to 400’ as this will probably clutter the ADS-B In screens on any aircraft.

In fact the current proposal prohibits the use of ADS-B on drones.

Remember guys, there are around 20,000 airports in the US that are non-towered.

Relying on ATC to maintain separation of manned aircraft and drones would be very limited.

Plus, manned aircraft with no electrical system (Piper Cubs, ultralights, etc) are exempt from the FAA ADS-B In/Out mandate that takes effect this Wednesday 1-1-2020.

Having ADS-B Out on a drone would enhance safety to those who stray into controlled airspace only to a small degree. But, it is a positive step to increase situational awareness in today's crowded skies.

Since those 20,000 airports are uncontrolled (no tower) and the crop dusters and pipers aren’t going to be able to “see” our remote ID, exactly who is this helping?

If I fly in class D controlled airspace like I do on occasion, I use LAANC and ATC knows where I am.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
In uncontrolled airspace, nobody really, unless both aircraft have ADS-B In and Out.

And I'd guess that if in the future drones are required to have ADS-B capability, the cost would be extensive.

All this crap wouldn't be necessary if everybody followed the basic guidelines of our airspace system. But manned aircraft will fly too low........and drone pilots will fly too high, thus creating a hazard to each other.

The result is more regulations. As you said, you use LAANC when required, and everybody's happy. Me too. I've used KittyHawk numerous times in class B airspace with great results.

Doing it right is easy. Don't know where this ADS-B stuff for drones is heading, but the actions of our fellow drone pilots will dictate how short the leash will be in the future.

Reactions: Adamborz
Pilots if manned aircraft will NOT see us through this system and that is no what this is about. This is because of Homeland security and tracking because of a fear of terrorist drones, also so law enforcement can track down operators when NIMBYS call, fine them and make revenue. And to increase cost to the average Joe hobby guy and small business operators in order to get them out of the way for giant corporations like Amazon. At least in regards to how it is currently written. Maybe things will change, I certainly have suggestions for the NPRM.

Pilots if manned aircraft will NOT see us through this system and that is no what this is about. This is because of Homeland security and tracking because of a fear of terrorist drones, also so law enforcement can track down operators when NIMBYS call, fine them and make revenue. And to increase cost to the average Joe hobby guy and small business operators in order to get them out of the way for giant corporations like Amazon. At least in regards to how it is currently written. Maybe things will change, I certainly have suggestions for the NPRM.

I'm sure that you have excellent sources to cite for all those assertions, but you simply forgot to include them.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm sure that you have excellent sources to cite for all those assertions, but you simply forgot to include them.
sar104 I respect your opinions and the information which you post. I also believe that there needs to be a system for RID. I'm not against something reasonable, this is just not it, yet.
My source is my ability to read.

Tell me when have aviators had to pay fees to third party corporations for air traffic control? As we will be required to do.

Where do you see in this thing a method for manned aircraft to be enabled to see us?
They explicitly ruled out ADS-B. They didn't want the clutter and signal degradation.
There will be to many UAV.

Why should UAV operators not be able to fly in G airspace without an internet connection? I can read a paper sectional to find out where I am, I can see and avoid.
Why the requirement for internet to take off, or to be limited to 400 feet distance?

It's not ready to be implemented yet.

This is in much the same tone as the drone tort laws were when first called for.

I'm sure things will get better. One can only hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Pitman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl