FAA Part 107 Renewal

Reaction score
Is the FAA going to come out with anything so don’t have to take the test. Like just pay a fee or something. Like your drivers license or boaters license. You take the test once and your good.

The FAA always has a recertification process of some sort in my experience. Since there is no demonstration of proficiency (as of yet) I would have to believe that there is another test.

Hi @Jack Matthias, it is appearing that there will be some sort of retesting depending on if you went to a ground school or are Part 61 enabled. Regulations change and the FAA wants us to be current. I am personally due for renewal the end of August 2018. I have already completed my manned aircraft Biennial Flight Review to keep current for the 107 renewal. I find the continued training helps me be a better pilot for manned or uas aircraft.

Reactions: BigAl07
Only thing I spotted on the FAA site for sUAV was this: "Valid for 2 years – certificate holders must pass either a recurrent online training course OR recurrent knowledge test every two years." We probably won't know anything specific until August when the anniversary date of this 107 thing started. I asked at the testing center where I took mine and got the "Huh?" about it. Feds don't move with lightning speed to do anything, imhe.

Reactions: FlyAlongside
Only thing I spotted on the FAA site for sUAV was this: "Valid for 2 years – certificate holders must pass either a recurrent online training course OR recurrent knowledge test every two years." We probably won't know anything specific until August when the anniversary date of this 107 thing started. I asked at the testing center where I took mine and got the "Huh?" about it. Feds don't move with lightning speed to do anything, imhe.

What’s the online training course? Sounds interesting and no test??

The online test will most likely be for FAA Part 61 pilots only that already have a 107 certificate.

I can't see a drone skills test being implemented as most FAA testing centers are at an airport where the drones cannot fly at anyway. To do so would require the examiner to drive maybe 2-5 miles outside the airport GPS lock-down or traffic area, and then back which would be a large time waste with a big price tag too. Where I took my test, they have a flight school and cannot fly any drones around there as it is. Even when I asked them where one can go to fly for training they didn't know. Maybe a drone simulator of some sort, but I can't see that happening anytime soon either.

The FAA has those "Wings" safety programs around some cities and I took the one for drones, but those things expire in time and mine expired last month so it might not count. They assign "Wings Points" to your name which might be used for training and validation for currency, but the FAA hasn't really said anything about it yet. Given the Feds also delayed the 2018 seminar on drones in Congress, the FAA may be really late to the table if the Feds change up the rules a bit.

I don't think anyone suggested that.

Someone above mentioned a proficiency test which would imply a skills test, much as taking a manned part 61 review for renewal is also a skills test of sorts by FDS above too.

The online test will most likely be for FAA Part 61 pilots only that already have a 107 certificate.

The last I heard you'll have to take the same on line course you took as a Part 61 pilot attaining a 107 certificate. Present the certificate of completion and evidence that you have a current flight review to a CFI (or if you're into self punishment, go to a FSDO) who can plug you into IACRA.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj