FAA just contacted me

Just some other "sorta" related info...........

Reactions: JKDSensei
AND MOST IMPORTANT..............

KEEP-CALM-P2-450.jpg

State to state or local to local laws differ, federal laws don't. Miranda Rights and Questioning vs Interrogation are federally based procedures/regulations. States have a right to make laws and procedures stricter but not more lenient. The big misconception that everyone has is that federal laws are more strict and "scary" and that is simply impossible.

I think you are forgetting that Miranda only applies to custodial (i.e. A reasonable person feels that they are not free to leave) interrogation. Miranda clearly does not apply to an online chat like the op had.

In this day and age it would not surprise me one bit that some Leo's are now using social media to contact people. Most of the people I know don't even have home phones. I really don't see the big deal in initializing communication with what's available. I wouldn't conduct "business" over it, but to arrange a more official contact wouldn't be a big deal; use the tools you have available so to speak.

Before you lump me in to "the uneducated masses" I'll point out I've been a Leo for 21yrs, slow your roll rookie [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

$27,000 Civil Fine for FIRST offense? This is judicial madness.
You'd face less penalties for driving drunk....but then drones are a MUCH bigger menace to society....you'd think....

Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 53 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion. (Billion, with a "B")
Source: CDC
State-Specific Costs of Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Drunk Driver Fines
Though the fines vary from state to state, the fines for a first-time offender can range from >> $500 to $1,000 <<.

Source: DUIFines.org
DUI Fines

Deaths related to hobby drone activities past 5 years? Zero (Only govt drones kill)
Financial Losses? No significant measurable property damage figures are available.

Why the urgent clamp down? Why the excessive fines?
If THIS does not make you question the motives....check to see if you still have a pulse.
Keep calm...but question everything related to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanK
Stop. Chill out...........

That 27.5K USD is the max fine they would levy on me if I failed to register my airplane. It is a max fine for UNREGISTERED MANNED AIRCRAFT IN THE USA.

Infancy leads to a fall behind of real, practical, common sense laws, fines, etc. So all that is left is to grab some existing "close to" fine or reg. and throw it out there.

I seriously doubt we(Government) have become so stupid that we would fine a 13 year old 27, 500 USD for an unregistered toy on a first offense.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and NEair
Stop. Chill out...........

That 27.5K USD is the max fine they would levy on me if I failed to register my airplane. It is a max fine for UNREGISTERED MANNED AIRCRAFT IN THE USA.

Infancy leads to a fall behind of real, practical, common sense laws, fines, etc. So all that is left is to grab some existing "close to" fine or reg. and throw it out there.

I seriously doubt we(Government) have become so stupid that we would fine a 13 year old 27, 500 USD for an unregistered toy on a first offense.

I really don't need you to say things like "stop...chill out". Unnecessary. Your posts are no more valid by default. It's a "Discussion". How about you state your case, I'll state mine...without the drama?

Just stating facts. Even IF it was the "MAX" fine....WHY that high?
If you "doubt" they would levy the fine, then explain it's necessity.
Should drones have the same fines structure as manned aircraft? Really?

And yes, the government has become that stupid. Surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Well I'm not losing 5k peeping in no windows here !!! These gals are corn-fed :eek:

I really don't need you to say things like "stop...chill out". Unnecessary. Your posts are no more valid by default. It's a "Discussion". How about you state your case, I'll state mine...without the drama?

Just stating facts. Even IF it was the "MAX" fine....WHY that high?
If you "doubt" they would levy the fine, then explain it's necessity.
Should drones have the same fines structure as manned aircraft? Really?

And yes, the government has become that stupid. Surprise.
Here is a reference. I skimmed it quickly so............
Fail to Register Your Drone? You Could Be Hit With $27K Fine
Also there are severe penalties for entering restricted airspace, or fines for not having survival gear in the plane over wilderness here.

The good thing is seldom are they levied at max. Yes there are bound to be issues with early enforcement.

As I said, the 27.5K was pulled from the FAILURE to register manned aircraft. I suppose they had to put something in there until the law could catch the technology.

Here is a reference. I skimmed it quickly so............
Fail to Register Your Drone? You Could Be Hit With $27K Fine
Also there are severe penalties for entering restricted airspace, or fines for not having survival gear in the plane over wilderness here.

The good thing is seldom are they levied at max. Yes there are bound to be issues with early enforcement.

As I said, the 27.5K was pulled from the FAILURE to register manned aircraft. I suppose they had to put something in there until the law could catch the technology.

ok. That's reasonable.

But I'm hoping they show some common sense when they release the final hobby drone regs and it will NOT include a fine anywhere near 27K.

That just frightens people unnecessarily and is grossly misplaced relative to hobby drones.

The FAA or Government entities, are worried that some Drone owner will fly above 400 feet and make a video that will
prove the Earth is flat. This would cause mass hysteria. And even the end of life as we know it.
So now you know why there is so much ante drone hysteria. And a big fine.

The FAA or Government entities, are worried that some Drone owner will fly above 400 feet and make a video that will
prove the Earth is flat. This would cause mass hysteria. And even the end of life as we know it.
So now you know why there is so much ante drone hysteria. And a big fine.

It's the aliens. They all fly above 400ft. and around airports! o_O

I agree for the most part, too much Nanny State, cradle to grave, government overreach.

I also have a horrible picture of Dirkclod's TomBigbee two ton, corn bread beauties........ I need eye bleach.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20